don't click here

Judy Totoya speaks about the making of Sonic 2 - why Wood Zone was cancelled

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by darylbaxter, Nov 26, 2022.

1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    It’s now December. Spoilers from April are fair game at this point :V

2. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Off-topic a bit, but anyway

Wasn't it discussed on this forum, many years ago, that drx missed post-NA prototype, which had a Mystic Cave zone? Well, or something like that? If so, they were probably just preparing the ground for him, unless of course it was just a demonstration made for the show.

3. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    We can only speculate. Why "YU2"? Why "Carol Yas"? Other than being required to pick a anti-poaching pseudonym, of course. I went ahead and asked Totoya on Twitter, but I'm not expecting a response.

4. E107- Theta

E107- Theta

Texas
    that is one of my favorite classic sonic deisigns.

5. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    That’s weird, I just checked and it does in my copy, that my dad got from a goblin under a bridge near Sega’s headquarters after he answered three riddles.

This is worse than when I found out the title screen isn’t supposed to change to Tails crying blood out of hyper-realistic eyes if you beat the game without getting all the Chaos Emeralds.

6. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Don't we actually know this one? I thought it was documented that this was a direct reference to Yu Suzuki whom he looked up to.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Dunno if it was necessarily "looking up to", but yes, it's because there was already a Yu, so Naka was Yu 2.

Carol Yas isn't too hard to figure out either - Yas is clearly just Yasuhara shortened, and Carol is most likely a corruption of Karo swapping the middle syllables of hi [ro] [ka] zu. And Bigisland is self-explanatory - it's a literal translation of oo shima.

Judy Totoya is more mysterious. I'm wondering if Judy comes from guchi but that seems like a bit of a stretch. There's probably characters that can be read multiple ways. Or maybe it's nothing to do with the name at all and there's some other meaning behind it.

Maybe he's a big fan of Judy Garland, and another name for a garland is a corolla, and there's a Toyota Corolla and it was Judy Toyota all along...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    They're crediting the Toyota Corolla that reliably got them to work at super sonic speeds everyday

9. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    I think I confused Judy Totoya with Shinobu Toyoda :p

10. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Well that's some logic if I've ever heard it! :V

11. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member