don't click here

The Sonic Frontiers *SPOILER* Thread (With Unmarked Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Sep 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I feel like Kronos, Rhea, and Ourenos altogether would be a bit too big... not that I wouldn't have minded bigger islands, but people might've been disappointed when they got to the next 2 islands. The other 2 seem a bit bigger than Kronos, but definitely aren't as big as all 3 plains islands mashed together.

My only complaint is that Kronos just feels small. Not sure how much smaller it actually is, but I was very happy when I got to Ares and the map was bigger than I expected it to be. Kronos has a lot less freedom to it. Also IMO it's just kinda... lame to advertise the game as having 5 islands. They were pretty dead-on about the playtime estimate for MOST players, but in terms of variety / content it's a little scummy to say there are 5 islands. Would've made more sense to say there are 5 "chapters" or something.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  2. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yeah I don't think the entirety of the island would've been done at once. The way Rhea and Ouranos work, either the whole "Ark Ship" idea would've been a region all of its own to explore, or you'd go back to earlier areas for the content, but I'd be surprised if the original plan was to tackle literally all of it in one go.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

What is an Ark Ship?
    Did I miss some discussion of cut content?

4. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think the game had exhausted its concepts by Chaos Island. There's only so many ways you can put automated grind rails, springs, and boosters without it getting repetitive.

5. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Sonic Team will be developing an AI that finds every single combination of springs, dash pads, rails, and platforms for the next 3 years.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, the sequel seriously needs to take a look back at the classics and how they handled gimmicks. Sure, grind rails and springs are pretty universal in Modern Sonic, but the classics in particular (including the Advance titles and Mania and even Rush and Rush Adventure to an extent) have a wealth of unique per-zone gimmicks that would've given waaay more mileage to the open zone formula. Kronos Island being fairly vanilla works, but Ares should've had stuff like quicksand and geysers, while Chaos could've done way more with the volcano, not to mention the bird enemy could've been tweaked to make it much more suited for aerial traversal, perhaps even with some bespoke challenges for memory tokens. And this is just 2 unique gimmicks per zone, whereas 2 and 3 generally pushed 3-5 per zone. Variety is the ultimate failing of Frontiers, I feel.

7. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Ok I've been very hard on this game but the content road map for DLC is very promising.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1598000246772023296

New playable characters incoming. Teased as Amy, Tails, and Knuckles. I do not like Frontiers. I think it is a bad base foundation for Sonic going forwards. But new playable characters is an absolutely fantastic sign for going forwards and should be praised by all.

8. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    So good! Literally everything people asked for.

As for me, I'd like an option to create some sort of "playlist" for Cyberspace levels... But they just don't

9. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I just want another island and playable tails

10. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I wonder if Sage will be possessed by The End in this new story stuff, the art used looks like she has the weird haze around her that supreme does when its being possessed.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  11. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Speaking of The End, full context on what it even is from a story and symbolic standpoint... Kishimoto says that The End is Death, and it's depicted as a moon to us as the players because Moon = Death in fiction (I didn't know that?...) and Sonic and Sage both see something else because Death is different things to different people.

I'll be honest, it makes sense reading the name and hearing the monologue, but the context of the boss itself kind of obscures it as a generic rant, so I'm sad I didn't pick up on it myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    That confused me too... Is this a Japanese thing I didn't know about before? It makes me sad how this boss ended up the way it did...

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

Based on the out-of-place dialogue, I doubt they meant for The End to be just Ikagura.

• List
  14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So he's saying they don't see a moon regardless of whatever they're seeing not being it's true form anyway?

Sounds dumb.

15. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    It's a very common trope when it comes to eldritch or abstract beings, a way to preserve the mystery and dread while still giving you something to observe.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I think it's the idea that the evening is the end of the day, thus the end, and The Moon is associated with the evening.

Like that old riddle, "what stands on four legs in the morning, two legs in the day and three legs in the evening?"
    A man: four "legs" when crawling as a baby, two legs through the day, and using a walking cane in their elder years as a third "leg".

17. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Here is more transcripts from Kishimoto's stream:

https://twitter.com/inazumag11/status/1598595760035008512

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] \

This also confirms that this leak is 100% true:

[​IMG]

Because Kishimoto said they intended Amy to refill your rings during the Giganto boss fight. It also explains why the Giganto fight has no rings to collect in the actual boss fight.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I don't remember Knight having rings either.

19. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Oh, I guess I gaslighted myself into thinking that.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So was the ghost girl just Sage all along? And yea none of the Super fights give you rings you either need to enter the battle with them or cyloop spam them (I cut it real close first fight against Knight as a result). And I guess the orbs were placeholder portal gears and at this stage of development maybe cyberspace did just give you the emeralds? Interesting they considered a more Bayonetta/DmC system though

Also I had a hunch you were meant to run on Wyverns back instead of the road, but something tells me it prob worked as well as thank janky Zavok Lost World boss sooo maybe it’s for the best. Also funny they had the Super Sonic boss idea in 2013 considering Super was largely ignored for the better part of the 2010s

also sounds like Knight was Nega Wisp mech part 5 or Time Eater 2 sooo ya glad that changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.