don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wonder if those characters are playable in the main campaign, and if so how will they adjust the cutscenes? Are they just going to skip them? Swap Sonic in for whoever you’re playing as and make him the cyber ghost, but that still leaves multiple other islands. They going to record a crap ton of new dialogue?

Maybe this is a Standalone thing because the more I think about it the more complicated adding characters to this game seems if only because of the story. And that could explain why it’s last. Maybe this is “Episode Shadow” esq but they’ll let us play as the others maybe in cyberspace via arcade mode?

2. MH MD

MH MD

I guess someone should ask developers tomorrow about the characters and if they will be playable in open zones or not, if they are willing to answer it now of course

3. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    My prediction is that the characters are only going to be playable in the scenario they made for the DLC. Personally, I don't see Sega being that nice to let you play them on maps that were designed only for Sonic, but maybe I'm wrong (We can always just depend on mods to make it happen anyway, lol).

The mention of a "new story" got me thinking, though. Actual end-of-the-game spoilers below
    I think they'll expand upon the part where the gang absorbs into Sonic. I always find it weird that they just did that without any explanation, lol.

What was even happening to them throughout the final parts of the game? Just floating around in nothingness? What even causes them to come back to reality?

4. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Whenever someone says "we've never had these characters playable in over 10 years!" just assume they're actually talking about the 3D mainline Sonic games.

5. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I'm thinking maybe they'll revisit the established styles for the characters in the form of Cyberspace stages. Flight focused stages for Tails, Hunting levels for Knuckles, that sort of thing. Fingers crossed you'll be able to take them into the Open Zone, though. We'll have to wait and see.

6. Taylor

Taylor

If I can't play as Amy and hit things with her hammer I'm going back through all 8000+ posts and upvoting anyone who called the game bad

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. If the extra playable story sections with the other characters take place to give context to the game's main story, a la Shadow's DLC in Sonic Forces, maybe Tails' playable section will be a mini-story + - focusing on when he was trapped in Cyberspace being confronted by another version of himself telling him that he was just a follower?   I did think it was a bit strange + - that the event causing Tails' introspection in the first place was never actually shown on-screen, so it could be good for playable Cyberspace levels with Tails.  

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I'm on the complete opposite end of the rest of you and leaning more towards them being playable in the free areas rather than being in Cyberspace Stage jail. Putting more development time into refining the free areas and testing out ideas seems like a better use of time and money. Especially if this is going to be the framework they're going to be using moving forward.

9. I know that, but it really bugs me how Mania gets treated like a side game.

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

It would be cool to actually have Knuckles, Tails and Amy with combat combos for open zone gameplay, yeah. And hey, Unleashed level importers could literally slap Knuckles in over the night time stages like people have wanted to all these years.

11. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    So many people have been asking for a photo mode, so that's exciting.

12. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Honestly, the images of the characters on the last panel could just be indicating that they are part of the new story, not that all of them will be playable. It's hard for me to imagine what they're gonna give us tbh, I'm guessing Shadow is out of the picture even though he would make the most sense as a playable character, so that leaves us with 3 characters that more than likely wouldn't be getting the full Sonic treatment. I, too, feel like the new character(s) will probably be playable only in specific stages, or they'll only be allowed to do specific things, which is kind of a bummer. But I would love to be wrong! We haven't had extensive DLC content since Lost World, and they did a really good job with that game.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I don't know who else they would be referring to then. The label says new characters, and they're showing off the only 4 other characters in the game minus Robotnik and....my God...

Wait, what the fuck is Big even doing on the fucking island?

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Big just showed up and started fishing. He doesn’t even know how he got there he’s just vibin

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  16. Harper

Harper

I'm guessing it was easier to maintain one group of set data across all versions rather than having to deal with 5+ for various versions.

17. What makes sense to us doesn't necessarily make sense for Sega and Sonic Team mind you.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I'm very well aware of that fact

19. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    That Frontiers animated prologue is now the perfect tease for what a playable Knuckles could be like. Very nice. I hope I'm not setting my expectations too high!

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Really? Ffs that looks 10 times better in motion than the final.

but least it sounds like it might be able to be incorporated as a HMM code so there’s hope for this to be fixed on the PC soon