don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I doubt they’ll do much more than referencing some characters and maybe using them in the next Olympics or mobile game. The comics and games will probably try to stay out of each other’s ways so they can tell their own stories, and if the game developers want to tell a story that contradicts the comics then that version of the plot will be canon.

2. Yea, this isn't as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. People are gonna expect some massive crossover with comic characters showing up in the games and whatnot.

What's actually gonna happen is that Sega is gonna continue on as they usually do, continuity with the comic be damned.

Although introducing Sage when Belle exists is funny as fuck

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction

At 35:06, Ian clarifies that Belle and Sage were effectively being created around the same time by Evan and himself respectively, with the similarities being coincidental. That at least clears up "why didn't they reference Belle in Frontiers?".

4. Weird.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Just to cause some ruckus:
    I didn't see a gaping hole in the Moon as we fought The End and weaved around space with the Earth and Moon...

6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Maybe Eggman fixed the moon or something like in Sonic X except unlike Sonic X it wasn't noticeable or something:words:

The true answer to this conundrum is that Sonic Team simply doesn't really care and, as with much of this series, it's better to just not look too deep into things.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Or give me the reins of canon so I can use them to explain that Sonic simply Chaos Control'd it to repair it after defeating the Finalhazard, also explaining why he wasn't around to catch Shadow as he fell, because I'm a master of BS. :eng99:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  8. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    It’s been a few weeks since I’ve played now but didn’t they just only one side of the moon to account for this?

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    It's a flat 2D image. You see the same face pointing towards the camera no matter the angle: when the camera moves over the Earth, so directly at the planet, and at a side view of Super Sonic, who we see was travelling directly away from Earth, so what should also be a side view of the Moon as well.

Also, amusing little note, in that scene of Super Sonic talking to the Ancients, you see The End hovering over Earth in the background.

10. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Or maybe there's already a perfectly fine explanation that people just refuse to accept for some dumb reason

11. RDNexus

RDNexus

People seem to love digging deep into stuff, whether it's worth the time or not... ^^"

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Such as?

I assume you refer to the Moon turning to hide the damage... even though that's not only not how the Moon works, being tidally locked, and even if it was rotating, we should still be able to see the damaged side on occasion since the Moon would be, y'know, rotating.

Not to mention that the angle of the damage caused means the Moon would not be a full circle in the sky any more even if it had rotated to hide the damaged side, since the blast took out the northern pole entirely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It would also need to tilt on it's axis. Unless Third Impact happened, it's not a reasoning I adhere to.

13. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It rotated, and the only reason you don’t see it from other angles is because it’s easier to just use a still image. That’s it. That’s what happened.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Like I said, the northern pole was blasted off. Sonic's Moon should no longer be round, no matter how it turns.

15. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    be honest people won't remember the exact way the moon was blown up, the explanation more or less holds up
    but uh yeah it is rather confusing that in spite of all the references sa2 gets, the moon getting blown up never gets referenced in any of the games that do that; most of these games really just reference sa2 as a "hey remember when we did that thing" instead of actually following through with continuity and using it for worldbuilding which is why that happens

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  16. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Honestly I think they should just give it a reason for a hand wave. I didn’t like when the moon got blown up in Dragon Ball and I don’t like it in Sonic. Too many complications, imho.

17. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Right, but the Sonic universe operates on nonsensical cartoon physics, not our own. Sonic shouldn’t be able to breathe in space and should have been incinerated in multiple atmospheric re-entries, and that’s not getting into loop de loops, floating islands, or Eggman being physically able to stand up. Much like those things, it just works.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Not really. It operates on fantasy physics, not cartoon physics: last I checked, Knuckles hadn't punched someone into space a la Popeye.

Honestly, I could buy Sonic surviving in space and reentry. He travels at the speed of sound, not exactly the most conducive for being able to take a breath, and friction is already something he has to deal with. With re-entry, he just has to deal with the added caveat of the landing

The floating stuff is something apparently involving Chaos Emerald Energy/Master Emerald Energy, if Angel Island is an indicator.

As for Robotnik being able to stand, it's just art-style. We've seen his true form...

[​IMG]

They all have this lowline reasoning that I can suspend my disbelief for, if you extend the required secondary powers or apply internal logic to cover them.

Regardless, it's more like modern comics, like DC and Marvel, where you have aliens, sentient animals, super powers and such, but the Earth and Moon are basically the same until those things act upon them, bar a few extra cities popping up here and there.

I suppose you could spin a tale that the Ancients did something to the Moon in an attempt to terraform Earth more to their standard, resulting in its now rotation, but that's more effort than just "Sonic Chaos Control'd it back to normal and everyone was happy" and still doesn't answer why we don't see the other side on occasion.

Honestly, should've used it for the Shadow the Hedgehog opening, half the Moon gone would have been good symbology for the whole "good and bad" thing: the bright remaining half of the Moon to one side, the dark shattered pieces on the other...

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I have to agree with you there. Sonic is definitely unlike more traditional cartoony things in that for the most part? The world is pretty much completely normal. The environments are naturalistic and have been since Sonic 3, (outside of a few exceptions like the Lost Hex but that's explicitly supposed to be 'weird' in universe), Humans have perfectly regular cities that function about as you would expect them to in real life, even the animal societies like the Echidnas are still pretty grounded in reality. It's just when things like Eggman, the Emeralds, or just weird shit in general crop up that it starts to get weird and fantastical. It's one of my favorite aspects about the series.
    :tinfoil:

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    You know it's true, the Progressive Insurance advert basically confirmed it :eng99:
    We just see Robotnik in his normal appearance since that's how Sonic sees humans looking like.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List