don't click here

The Lost Sega Worlds

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Fallen well and truly down the "this company really had their financial issues coming to them" rabbit hole again:
    [​IMG]
    Sega World Seagaia - at first glance, its tiny page on the wiki wouldn't indicate it was of much note. But it was in fact on the site of a giant resort centred around the Ocean Dome, what was once one of the world's largest indoor waterparks built for no discernible reason other than "lol tourism". Going well outside of the remit of Retro here, but the television adverts even featured Sting.

Ocean Dome seems to have first opened with a golf course and a few other things, including said Sega World, in July 1993. As it goes this was apparently also quite big, spreading across two floors of the place + featuring an AS-1, though photo documentation looks very scarce (albeit not all that surprising, considering the entire complex went on to never actually turn a profit).
    [​IMG]
    As far as one can currently tell, Sega closed their space in the midst of wider woes with Seagaia - a 2001 bankruptcy, subsequent buyout by an American private equity firm, and the waterpark complex finally closing down by 2007. But then...
    [​IMG]
    In 2012, SegaSammy scooped up the remnants that were still running, and it became the first of their small collection of resort locations. This of course seemed like a fairly ridiculous acquisition at the time by the two companies previously best known for video games and pachinko. Indeed, upon news of it breaking, there were many jokes made about this at their expense, as well as some pointing out the naming similarity with Seagaia, and even a few remembering that this wasn't even Sega's first link to the place.

Ultimately a Sega World never came back, the abandoned waterpark dome was demolished outright in 2017 as part of extensive renovation efforts, and the resorts area of the conglomerate has remained stagnant since 2020. Who knows what may happen with it moving forward (?).

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I did wonder if it was a pun that wasn't translating properly - nicely done

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Surp:

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:MarukatsuMegaDrive_JP_Supplement_07.pdf&page=3

I think this is Sega World Ota circa 1993, although it's changed so much since then it could be something else.

I made a mistake when looking this up. "Sega World Plane" (because there's a plane) threw up this noise:

[​IMG]

Apparently this Sega World Maebashi promotional(?) balloon has outlived the venue. This was from some balloon festival in the Philippines in 2020. Because it's great when looking for answers leads to more questions.

4. Going through my old SEGA Power mag's This is when the team went to Bournemouth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ted909

Ted909

The research channel in the official Sega Forever server on Discord can bring things to light on occasion:

This video has a few stills of a Hi-Tech Sega in Miyazaki. It may have later been Sega World Miyazaki, not sure.

(edit: I know little about the area concerned here, but a quick search of "miyazaki MRT" also reveals that this place seems to have been found on the site of MRT micc, a commercial facility centred around Miyazaki Broadcasting's headquarters. Are television and radio station offices known to have been a Sega AM location before this?)

A shame that this is pretty much just a few low-quality slides set to Generic Royalty Free Track no. 65 as backing though - at least there is the odd upload featuring actual camcorder footage of a Sega World out there, of course.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  6. AlliaTheEchidna

AlliaTheEchidna

I can imagine Sting cost a pretty penny. SEGA for sure was not frugal in the 80s-90s

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Gosh London was beautiful

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2023
  7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I've merged your posts together - don't double post, please. Edit button is your friend :)

8. AlliaTheEchidna

AlliaTheEchidna

My apologies, noted, I should have looked for an edit button when posting
    [​IMG]

9. Ted909

Ted909

Accidentally came across a thing the other day, as one does:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If I'm reading this article from 2015 correctly, someone stumbled upon this completely deserted arcade in Hanoi, Vietnam, with everything besides a television switched off and just one employee around. They soon realised that pretty much all of the machines appeared to be not just bootlegs but conspicuously Sega-made, and lo and behold:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sega World Hanoi (Thế Giới SEGA Hà Nội). Almost completely untraceable today of course, but a quick look back at annual reports does indeed reveal that there was once a "Amusement World of Vietnam Corporation". Somebody's Linkedin CV also says something, and there's one company directory listing. Like Sega's other arcade ventures in Asian countries outside of Japan (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia) though, this too seems very poorly documented.

(and no, I do not know if it still exists now. Please don't blame me if you go to Vietnam looking for this place in an attempt to bang out a successful 'ABANDONED SEGA ARCADE!' video, but find absolutely nothing there)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  10. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Seeing this bums me out so much. Just imagine going in there and saving the EPROMS/CDs from disappearing! Those machines are probably long gone by now. Anyone know what happened to the machines at Tomioka post-teardown?

11. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Short clip of the planned Trocadero Sega World in CGI.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Ted909

Ted909

With the added footage of Mega Drive adverts, Joypolis etc afterward, I think it's likely Live & Kicking's editorial team took that clip from the oft-used corporate video (a bunch of magazines also had stills of it)

John Robertson, the 3D modeller of the CGI runthrough, has uploaded it in full a few times:

Incidentally, L&K weren't the only ones to film at The Edge - it was also seen as the regular backdrop for the first series of The Computer Channel's spinoff of Games World, based around Big Boy Barry:

... which later used SegaWorld London itself instead...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://archive.org/details/cashbox40unse_12/page/54/mode/2up?q=sega+"Kingdom+of+oz"

"the Sega Kingdom of Oz Amusement Centers in Westminster Mall, West Covina Fashion Plaza, Puente Hills Mall and Old Towne Mall in Torrance."

Sega bought this chain of arcades in the mid-70s, but other than "CALIFORNIA" we didn't know where any of them were. Now we almost do.

Puente Hills Mall is where Doc Brown and Marty McFly tested the DeLorean time machine in Back to the Future.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Slow down there buddy, you might uncover a cursed archive.org artifact and you'll be timewarped *to* a Canadian arcade in 1988 that just so happens to have a old Sega machine, with no way of coming back outside of seeking refuge at the local San Francisco Gifts

15. cartridgeculture

cartridgeculture

Wiki Contributor Member
    Actually, we have Puente and possibly a few others... somewhat covered. I added them to the SegaVenuesUSA omni back in January, but the information I found placed most of these as Sega Centers. Disregarding that omni's need for an overhaul (needs more research), the name "Sega Kingdom of Oz" is the most intriguing here, as its a name I've never seen before.

As far as we understood it, the six purchased Oz locations were rebranded to Sega Centers. I can understand if this wasn't immediate, as theres already consumer recognition behind the Oz name, but was "Sega Kingdom of Oz" ever used? I wonder if Cash Box left out an apostrophe, and instead meant "Sega's Kingdom of Oz"? Even with the apostrophe, neither names turn up any information... unlike when the same thing was done with the acquisition of Time-Out.

[​IMG]

Depending on how literally you want to take Cash Box's word, there's a whole new brand of Sega venues that needs adding now. Until we see the name turn up more, probably not.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It is incredibly difficult to tell, but I think the "Kingdom of Oz" arcades were left as-is (I've seen nothing to suggest they were prefixed with "Sega"... though I've barely seen anything).

I don't think any Sega Centers turned up until 1977 (though don't quote me on that), and even then, I suspect some Kingdom of Oz venues weren't re-branded. They certainly co-existed, but I don't know how long for.

There are a lot of arcades we know nothing about:

https://archive.org/details/play-me...une 1st 1983/page/20/mode/2up?q="sega+center"
    There were supposedly 15 Sega Centers in 1982.

https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:CashBox_US_1977-07-02.pdf&page=322
    The Montclair Plaza location, which opened in June 1977 was #8, apparently.

https://archive.org/details/play-me...une 1st 1983/page/20/mode/2up?q="sega+center"
    This had dropped to 13 by June 1983. And here's the fun bit - they were all sold off to Time Out...

https://archive.org/details/game-machine-magazine-19870201p/page/n11/mode/2up?q=sega+"time+out"
    ...which then Sega re-bought in 1986. By that point there were 74.

https://archive.org/details/vgce-oct-1990/page/28/mode/2up?q=sega+"time+out"
    And there were 88 when Sega sold Time Out in 1990

(apparently there were over 150 by mid-1991)

so we're looking for American mall arcades from 1975-1983, then 1986-1990.

• List
  17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    By the way, for those who haven't been immersed in this, you might be tempted to go looking for Time-Out arcades.

And hey,
    https://arcadeblogger.com/2017/08/18/time-out-arcade-amazing-classic-arcade-pictures/

[​IMG]
    Here's a load of fun photos, problem solved!

But sadly not - I think these were all taken before Sega got their hands on the franchise (i.e. pre-1986). So why they may give clues to locations, none of these photos can be used on our wiki. We're looking for photos taken within a four year period - photos that are going be incredibly hard to find, because

a) arcades were nothing special by 1986. It was a novelty in the late 70s and early 80s and some of those locations wer brand new.
    b) it's all about analogue film and physical photographs which will need scanning
    c) who the hell takes photos of buildings in 1986 with one-use film and no social media to show it off

But there are a few:

[​IMG]

Late-80s Sega-owned Time-Outs are more likely to look like this.

You might be able to work backwards though:

[​IMG]

This photo is from 2016. Some locations lived on well into the 90s and 2000s - no idea if the above was ever a Sega-owned one, but it's a pleasing sign if nothing else.

• List
  18. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    The mall in Moreno Valley, CA had a Time-Out location near it's food plaza entrance since it opened. The logo looked exactly like that, but I can't find any pictures of it. It did have some Sega games, but it would be a very large stretch to call it "Sega-owned" (at least this specific location). They seemed to have a more Namco and SNK presence in its lifespan, but was nearly nothing but redemption by the end of it's life.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I get to things eventually: Disney Fun Square from Sega.

And with that, another 17 undocumented arcade games:

- Fantasy Palace「ファンタジーパレス」
    - Mickey & Minnie Baby UFO「ミッキー&ミニー ベビーUFO」
    - Mickey & Minnie Family Paradise「ミッキー&ミニー ファミリーパラダイス」
    - Mickey Mouse Print Club Special 「ミッキーマウス プリント倶楽部スペシャル」
    - Kuma no Pooh-san Print Club Special 「くまのプーさん プリント倶楽部スペシャル」
    - Kuma no Pooh-san Balloon Maker 「くまのプーさん バルーンメーカー」
    - Mickey & Donald Popcorn Factory 「ミッキー&ドナルド ポップコーンファクトリー」
    - Mickey & Minnie Waku Waku Drive 「ミッキー&ミニー わくわくドライブ」
    - Mickey & Minnie Bingo Land 「ミッキー&ミニー ビンゴランド」
    - Kuma no Pooh-san Ping Pong Land「くまのプーさん ピンポンランド」
    - Kuma no Pooh-san Waku Waku Ki no Ouchi 「くまのプーさん わくわくきのおうち」
    - Mickey & Minnie Puzzle Shock ミッキー&ミニー パズルショック
    - Kuma no Pooh-san Janken Step くまのプーさん ジャンケンステップ
    - Mickey & Minnie Crayon Kids ミッキー&ミニー くれよんキッズ
    - Kuma no Pooh-san Crayon Kids くまのプーさん くれよんキッズ
    - Magical Fall マジカルフォール
    - Mickey & Minnie Touch de Kids ミッキー&ミニー タッチdeキッズ

(okay 16 - we accidentally had Mickey & Minnie Bingo Land)

I think there's a few others that Sega didn't bother to list on their website, but they did have lists of locations. Also exclusive Disney-themed prizes for the UFO catchers.

[​IMG]
    Look, a machine that dispenses balloons. It's very Mickey Mouse and Winnie the Pooh heavy - barely any Donald or Goofy, and no sign of Pluto.

And yes I did look for the best one: "Mickey & Minnie Touch de Kids", but no luck.

Anyway I suppose we might want to document every "venue within a venue". I don't have high hopes of finding photos though.

20. Ted909

Ted909

They did open a load of areas for stuff like Mushiking when that got big - it may have even been partly why the Fun Square thing died. And then there's "Kidpara", which might be the first Sega example and will be even harder to document.

"Mickey & Minnie Touch de Kids" may well be related to "Touch de Asobo" and "McDonalds no Touch de Asobo!". I do remember seeing that title once or twice but was much too preoccupied with thoughts of just how well it translated.