don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While true, I can only imagine the vast majority of people won’t seek a refund. 10 million copies is a lot of people, even 1 million returns means 9 million active sales.

2. RDNexus

RDNexus

True, PKMN Company and Nintendo will still come out laughing at this whole affair.
    And no lessons got learned this day. Another sad tale of humanity's foolishness...

3. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I really wish they could have made a Chao Garden for this game. They could somehow have tied the experience points to Chao, making the experience points not useless after you leveled everything up. This would have added some much needed replay value too...

I liked this game a lot but there is so many what could have been moments....

4. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    It's worth noting that Pokemon Scarlet and Violet appear to be in the exact same boat as Frontiers. A solid and fun game buried underneath a large amount of technical issues. Scarlet and Violet has it a bit worse in the bugs department, but it's the same idea. If we can extend Sonic the courtesy of being able to enjoy a game despite its flaws, we should extend Pokemon fans the same.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I want to play the bosses again

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Billion dollar IP, game series that sells millions, exclusive to one console, and they share an office space with the hardware manufacturer. They can get immediate technical support and they sure as fuck can afford to expand as the franchise shows no signs of slowly down in popularity or critical reception.

They don't deserve a lick of sympathy.

7. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    yeah I hope they add a Boss Rush/Boss Time Attack in a future patch or DLC. I feel like they also should've included online leaderboards for Arcade mode too (unless there actually is one and I haven't found it?)

This video is good, there's some pretty cool stuff you can do in this game. I hope the next game leans into this type of design heavily. It's probably been said a million times at this point but they need to find ways to make the world feel like it was built with Sonic in mind.

I don't even think the maps need to be that big honestly, they could create a couple of small scale open-zones with 2 or 3 action stages in them.

8. Damn, who hurt you lol

Its inexcusable sure, but a lot of the same can be said for Frontiers too. Regardless, the fault will always lie with the suit wearing executives who only care about their stupid marketing cycles and not making sure the employees in their billion dollar money printing machine have the time and resources to make sure their output is as high quality as possible.

9. Frostav

Frostav

I feel like the game is weirdly rushed for how long of a dev cycle it had. It's like it's 80% of a game. The one saving grace IMO is that we know the next one will build on this, but if you compare it to say SA1 that game feels a lot more fleshed out despite also being a radically new direction compared to previous games.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    They need to come up with some SpeedTree on steroids tech that would allow them to craft huge sprawling objects and environments.

Something like the depth and detail of Ancient Forest from Monster Hunter World (but stylized obviously) would be dope. Then there would be a logical reason to having a bunch of grinding spots air with tree vines and climable trees instead of just floating pipes.

If you break it down to basics without context, yeah they both suffer from issues. I say Frontiers' issues leans far more towards design side than technical.

Pokémon's situation is just negligence and arrogance from all parties involved. There's no excuse for one of the biggest IPs in the entire industry to have releases with quality this poor. Especially when they sell two versions and will probably slap a season pass at the end of it. I ain't saying Sonic Team and SEGA is a small indie studio, please understand, and that they should be excused. We should absolutely be critical of them. But they are nowhere near the same tier as Pokémon as a franchise and overall current impact to the industry. They're not even comparable.

Like I said before, not a crumb of sympathy for the Pokes.

11. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I'm struggling to see the negligence and arrogance on Game Freak's part. I'm trying to apply the definition of those words to their games and they don't fit.

It is always so bizarre to see people try to force a game not being as good as you hoped as an act of malice or even stupidity from the developers. As if there was a switch to make Frontiers or Scarlet/Violet good on the developer's desk and they chose not to press it because they hate you.

With everything around the industry, do you really think it's good to "forsake sympathy?

Pokemon makes a lot of money, but the overwhelming majority of that cash comes from merchandise, which remains so successful because every 2-3 years, there's a new generation of Pokemon, a new region, new gimmicks, new cast of characters...

Sure, the games themselves make 10 million in three days, which is ridiculous for any franchise, frankly, but it's increasingly obvious that not a lot of that money gets allocated to those games, to say nothing of what little time is offered as well.

Every time I'm reminded, I'm baffled that Pokemon Legends Arceus came out this year. That is a wild development cycle.

They are comparable, perhaps in every single way, including their status as franchises and even their fanbase. It is amazing how fundamentally similar they are in every way. And yes, that includes the problems with the franchises themselves.

They both share the fundamental and awkward position of being too successful for their parent company to necessarily care about quality.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm wary of continuing this much further but there seems to be a fundamental disagreements of the facts of the argument here, and it's a discussion that seems like it's better placed in the thread for Scarlet and Violet rather than this one.

13. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    There's threads that aren't about Sonic and Sega here???

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I disagree entirely with your assessment, but I can clearly see neither of us will convince each other so I'm gonna walk away.
    _____
    I was talking about the fans. They get fed trash, still show up and actively defend their plate. No crumbs.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  15. jubbalub

jubbalub

I said fans, not developers

16. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Oh, you're talking about fans? That's... even sillier, not gonna lie, lol. It's like saying you give no sympathy for someone playing and liking Frontiers.

Y'know, there is a Pokemon forum somewhere where someone is thinking the same of you for playing Frontiers, or any Sonic game really.

Food for thought. But yeah, I'll stop.

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

The irony of saying this when you're literally in the Sonic fandom. Glass houses etc

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Can we stop? I'm asking nicely.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lol glad I refreshed I was just about to comment, I’m good now

20. Sneekie

Sneekie