don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Yuzu

Yuzu

Yeah, it seems like Hedgehog Engine is only used by Sonic Team/Sega CS2 probably just due to the fact that they have engine staff working there. There was no reason for Phantasy Star Online 2 to use it when it was instead developed by Sega Online R&D. iirc, PSO2's original engine was a heavily modified version of Phantasy Star Universe's engine.

PSO2 running on Hedgehog Engine is a common misconception, and it's honestly quite frustrating that it keeps being presented as fact online when there's literally no evidence to back it up.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.

3. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. Glad to see they’re fixing the Chaos Island mystery icon glitch. I thought I missed something on my first playthrough and didn’t learn it was glitched until playing it again.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

Any idea what “gameplay optimizations” are?

6. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Okay, I'm at my wit's end. How the hell do you defeat the wolf enemies?

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Parry them all, and then Cyloop them repeatedly for quick damage once they're all downed temporarily. Also, if you're unaware, timing is unnecessary for Parrying and you can just hold the bumpers indefinitely.

• List
  8. synchronizer

synchronizer

How do you update the steam version? Mine still says v 1.0.1

9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Generally the updates are served to you via Steam automatically. I don't think there's been word of an update outside of PlayStation systems at the moment.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Does the Switch version have an update?

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

The one engine/physics quirk this game has that gets me killed more times than I kept count, particularly in Cyber Space, is Sonic's inability to lose his speed if he collides with things but is still doing an action. Air boost into a wall but it has just enough of an angle to keep pressing against it? He'll fly off out of your control the instant he gets off the wall, and that car turning control thing means you simply can't recover. It's 06 mach speed control tier bad.

Like yeah we noted it with the trailers, and it's not too big a deal in the open zones, but air boosting in Cyber Space with anything but a straight path ahead of you to make your way towards is tantamount to death on certain occasions, and momentum/physics mods only amplify the problem by making it far easier to speed into surfaces and then lose all control.

The fact that none of the enemy destructions or hits, springs, air boosters or otherwise refresh your air boost until you hit the ground or a rail, ever, also really sucks. You get one shot the moment you're in the air, and no matter how far things take you or how the level design works, if you wasted that shot, you're gonna flop on your face or even die the time it comes for an actual boost.

12. You can also just use the 3x stomp attack after they’re all parried in order to do some AOE damage that can kill them all at once.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    • List
  14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I wonder if we can go so far as to mod in entirely new moves...I wouldn't be opposed to someone modding in Dante's Trickster + Rebellion moveset for funsies.

15. RDNexus

RDNexus

I wonder if the game could be turned into the next sandbox engine for fangames and such...

16. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Here is a mod of someone importing Soleanna as an Open Zone and Wave Ocean as a Cyber Space level:

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Modders just can’t help themselves huh? Why is Wave Ocean and Soleanna always among the 1st like 5 level mods in any new Sonic game (Generations, Lost World, Forces)

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

It looks modern enough to fit in later game aesthetics, ahead of its time in certain ways really, and presumably it's a good mechanics test of what a game's Sonic can do. Wallrunning, scripted sequences for interactions with the waters or the like, whether there's pole jumping, etc.

If a new game can do it better than Sonic '06, you're probably on a good track.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I will say at least, the day night cycle makes Soleanna look rather nice. Usually it looks super flat

20. Snowbound

Snowbound

In Frontiers case I think people are interested in converting hub worlds/adventure fields into open zone areas. Given that Adventure 1, 06 and Unleashed stages are probably going to get a lot of focus from frontiers modders over the next year. Additionally, Frontiers is like if the 06 trailers were realized into a full game so I def see why someone would be inspired to give 06 stages first crack
    Wait did that Frontiers mod reuse the 06 assets? I honestly thought they were custom. The improved lighting made Wave Ocean look really good. Like not as good as the new assets for Frontiers or Generations… but better than 06