don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Just checking, BTW - am I right that there's no way whatsoever to unlock Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone for time attacking in My Data? I've beaten the game both in Story Mode and with nearly every character combination in Anniversary Mode, and have always taken the Hidden Palace route just in case. If there's really no way to unlock it, that definitely needs fixing in an update! (Along with discounting any times for Mystic Cave Zone Act 2 where the player took the secret exit to Hidden Palace Zone, as by taking that route they haven't really 'completed' that stage as such, have they?)

2. Davether

Davether

The UI for My Data doesn't indicate that there are any stages to "unlock" in that list, so I am certain that Sonic 2 Hidden Palace isn't available as a Time Attack in Origins.

I think the reasoning behind it is the same reason why we can't time attack the secret 7th special stage in Sonic 1 and the secret 8th special stage in Sonic 2; they are only including stages that were part of their base games.

3. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    If that's really their reasoning for not including it in My Data I'd argue that it doesn't really hold up, as unlike the secret Special Stages in both games Hidden Palace is easily accessible during a normal playthrough with no cheats activated.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Plus they showed Hidden Palace in trailers. It’s clearly an intended feature for you to know about

5. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

It's worth noting Hidden Palace Zone was part of the Time Attack in Sonic 2's mobile version. Between that alteration, the removal of completed file level selects and now needing a couple cheats activated to select it in the level select (though that could just be because they wanted Proto Palace Zone removed and could only do that by putting HPZ in its place, as they maybe weren't as familiar with the Retro Engine coding to do it more proper), maybe they do indeed want to make Hidden Palace Zone appear more, well, hidden. Even though the mobile Time Attack already conceals its image with a question mark. Another difference in handling things compared to when Taxman/Stealth were calling the shots.

In terms of original game levels, they're technically missing the Competition Zones of S3&K, one of two instances of Time Attack in the actual original games. Especially since that in its current form happens to be bugged with the ability to be ruined with perfect zero scores if you're using debug mode in it. Maybe if they got their wish on making full-on single-player versions of the Zones...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Ok I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...sometimes when I beat sonic 3&K the unused song plays....sometimes its just the regular ending theme from the genesis versions. Does anyone know whats triggering this?

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It’s related to emerald count. All Super Emeralds leads to the unused jingle, while otherwise it’s Sky Sanctuary.

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Origins is on sale for 20$ on PSN and Steam both now.

If you wanted this to be the launch price, this is a good time to jump in.

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Picked this up in the half price sale, only fair to own and play it myself after talking shit about it.

So far I don't remember if the mobile version of sonic 1 was like this and I forget or not but my goodness the bumpers are too powerful, it's either that or their hit box is slightly larger than it should be, and/or sonic's air control is weaker because they are fukkin me over in special stages where I normally don't have issue. I've played plenty enough of the rom version of sonic 1 to know something is funky here.

Also you can't seem to land and jump within a frame in special stages, it's like you hit the wall and have to wait a moment before jump works again, and that leads to falling into goals i'd usually pass.

I know sonic 1 like the back of my hand but small things like ledges in ghz you can jump onto from below, your jump here is short by a pixel or two or the collision doesn't push you up, little things I keep noticing.

I'm also pissed off at the whole coin thing, it should have been left as lives and you unlocked stuff with lives currency, nothing screams classic sonic more then the 1up monitor icon but here we have some generic star ring that's not even red, it's lame.

Oh and the drop dash has weird properties on slopes, it wasn't like this in mania so why is it reinvented here? example in mania you can drop dash on an incline and go up it like you revved a spindash, but in origins half your momentium is instantly dead as you land so you roll about half the distance and stop, it's the reverse if you drop dash down hill you can shoot off the screen from the bonus speed. Non universal drop dash in 2d sonic games is annoying.

I can't even bring myself to playing more then a few acts before dropping the game, i'm playing it daily for a few stages and moving on, it's a shame.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh the drop dash differences come down to coding competence. Sonic 1, 2, and CDs drop dashes were implemented by Sega, Sonic 3 was built off Mania and retains said game’s drop dash (and also cool bonus funnily enough, it doesn’t show at the end act tally but the points still are added to your total). So Sega just did a shit job implementing it (they did so bad that at first the drop dash directly interfered with Tails coming back to you in Sonic 1 and 2, he’d just jump off screen forever. Thankfully they fixed it).

Sonic 1 special stages do feel very different to the Genesis version though, that’s always been like that though (since 2013 anyways)

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yeah, between Roll Lock on Sonic 1&2 interfering with Drop Dash that was never made for it, and the fact that Sega's implementation is literally a 1-frame Spin Dash as far as I could tell, it's kind of a huge headache.

13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Sorry if I sound harsh on the collection but i'm spitting out what i'm thinking and feeling at the time, so it's truthful.

hate how sega have lack of care over their character's original games to the point where they just slap crap in and call it a day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
  15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Honestly I feel like he’s intentionally looking for a way to break the game.. like you would not even think to do that during actual gameplay

16. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Just played through Sonic 3. Some of these bugs are pretty egregious, definitely the kind of stuff that you can catch with no effort or stumble into on your first try. It feels bad when automation breaks. I laughed when I drop dashed in the special stage selection area and soft locked the game, and when the transition to Sandopolis 2 just didn't work (Sonic simply stood there)—good thing you can restart the current stage and skip transitions.
    It's a shame that the port has so many issues. I kinda like the slightly-altered physics (faster gameplay) and Drop Dash is really fun to use. Too bad Drop Dash doesn't feel nearly as good in 1 and 2.

17. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I have nice memories of sonic cd but after beating it with all time stones, I need another 10 year wait before I do that again. (last run was the 360 release of cd)

18. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    This happened by accident, was not intended to break the game what's so ever.
    I went to recreate it to show how it happen. So don't assuming things here.

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I can definitely see it as an accidental occurrence, but from my perspective, the chances of miraculously landing on an item after grabbing another like that are very slim, especially when the intent of the 2P stages is just to race through them as quickly as possible

Plus TheStoneBanana’s debug/cheat code was active so I don’t count this as a game breaking glitch.. but much like the slot machine crash with the Sonic 3 branding cheat, it does need optimizing/fixing

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Back in the day i've hit a banana into a badnik drop naturally, but yeah no debug or anything to get in the way.