don't click here

Segapede Demo Released!

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by evilhamwizard, Nov 25, 2022.

1. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    [​IMG]

Segapede (Prototype)
    Discuss this release on our Discord server!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

We’re back with another Sega-related goodie for you to enjoy today. Presenting, the original presentation demo pitch ROM for Sega Technical Institute’s (STI) Segapede (also known as Astropede) for the Sega Mega Drive!

Lead Designer: Craig Stitt
    Enemy Designer: Alex Niño
    Programmer: Ken Rose
    Music & Sound: Howard Drossin

Be sure to checkout our write up for some details on the development of Segapede. HUGE special thanks to Craig Stitt for making this happen.

Enjoy!​

2. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    just listen to that grungy bassline holy damn
    nice find!

3. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    I took a quick peak into the code (not gonna go any deep, was just curious for a second), and it looks like the game was programmed in C. Lots of stack usage for variables/arguments, including usage of the link instruction.

Can't wait to see the art pulled out and put into Sonic hacks now lmao

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Ooooooh

Also you have documents - are those new? Is there a full set?

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Here's The Spriters Resource page. I've already added the full level map, the background, the title screen and some other small assets.

7. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Dang it doesn't have that eye candy level that appear towards the end of that one video when it was first shown.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The "master emeralds" in this game telelport the player to various spots... which means they were given more purpose in this Segapede demo then they ever were in Sonic 2.

Also am I to guess there aren't any remnants of this "level" in the ROM? I shouldn't expect much from what was probably a short game pitch, but... idk, feels like there should be more.

9. ParadoxDreams

ParadoxDreams

So happy this finally got released! Hopefully that potential "first prototype" of Treasure Tails gets found, if it exists! I played this to a bud in a call & I love the sense of speed I was getting, even if it was a lil' jank!

Also that music is so god damn good! Not just the one that's used in the prototype, but the ones in the rom itself. Howard Drossin can make a great track.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fantastic little curio, this one. The sprite work looks great and it's an interesting idea, pity it never got any further.

Thanks to Craig for letting us have this!

11. Gryson

Gryson

Nice write-up.

I find it incredibly fascinating how Sega of America's internal studios were simply unable to release games, despite enormous amounts of money being pumped into them. And STI wasn't even the worst. There was Sega Midwest and Sega Multimedia Studio, into which tens of millions of dollars were invested, and they were unable to release anything significant.

Craig Stitt (or someone else at STI?) said in Ken Horowitz's book on SOA that there were developers who had been working at STI for years who never had a game released. Incredible.

It's a classic example of how pumping tons of money into game development doesn't work if you don't have that critical component of experienced and capable managers and team leaders.

SOA tried to become one of the largest game developers in the world from scratch in the span of a few years. By 1994 they had a reported 700 people working in game development across all of their studios. Yet they had a huge turnover rate, especially in management, and they had producers making critical decisions who had never worked in game development before.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    Seems to be unfortunately the same version of Sierra Systems C that was used by Sonic Spinball-- in other words, the one we don't have. There's a function that only closely matches in 3.1b if I type it in a funky way, and the code output is still slightly off because it keeps trying to be safe about reusing registers.

upload_2022-11-26_0-18-45.png

Someday I'm going to go out on a hunt for these damn compilers.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

When I saw the original video release of this prototype, I thought it looked cool, but the physics looked like they would be problematic and I wasn’t sure how fun it would feel, looking more like a proof of concept than a game.

After playing it however, I can say that it’s really fluid, surprisingly well crafted, and very playable. I love the idea of a segmented character and the possibilities it could have introduced.

This should have been greenlit.

14. CaseyAH_

CaseyAH_

human incarnation of Palmtree Panic 'P' Mix Member
    Wonder how this level would play if put in Sonic 2 proper. Obviously not exactly designed with that game in mind but still curious about it.

15. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Is the flag the same from Kid Chameleon ?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yes - Craig Stitt was an artist on both.

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022