don't click here

The Sonic Frontiers *SPOILER* Thread (With Unmarked Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Sep 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I don’t think it’s part of the lore that only male hedgehogs can go super, it’s part of the brand restrictions.

2. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Do you guys think we can trick the Gen Z Twitter crowd into canceling Sega and Sonic Team over this rule

3. I highly doubt anyone outside of a few specific people care.

And the ""rule"" is only set in place to make the Hedgehogs seems more "special" by comparison to everyone else. Logic and reasoning be damned.

4. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It’s also not a hard and fast rule, because Mania features super forms for all of the cast and is no longer segregated to its own separate universe.

One thing that continues to separate them though is the lack of special designs. Only Sonic, Shadow, and Silver have unique looks and the others are slightly lighter in the Genesis games and merely flash in Mania. I fully believe Super Knuckles being mentioned is a deliberate reference to his super form though, even if I don’t think we’ll ever see it in 3D (unless you count what was going on in Heroes, where I seem to remember some of the files refering to them as Super Tails and Super Knuckles).

5. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    the point is that super forms are lame powerscaling creep nonsense and there shouldn't be any more of them after there already having been an over-indulgence of them
    so no more can appear and only male hedgehogs got them because forcefully that has to be the case since sonic 06

6. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

The Emeralds being alien is the one thing about the plot that I don't really like at all. I don't think the Emeralds needed any explanation for where they came from or what they were brought over to do. I think it's interesting that they're simply just these almost-primordial things that have been part of the planet's history and part of the cultures of many. I always took them as a sort of representation of the world itself, of its peoples' wills and desires. I like them as these mystical things that kinda just exist.
    I'm honestly not that much of a fan of Super Sonic, anyway. It felt so weird to me that this game would go out of its way to make Super Sonic something that's routine, with the characters being all "oh I need to go turn Super to beat this lol" and generally making the whole thing feel mundane. I don't know, it's almost... irreverent?

7. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    The way I interpreted it is that the ancients have been on the planet before much if any other life was there and that the Gaia temples came long after the ancients arrived. You can headcanon anything though I just don’t think they were clear enough on how long ago the ancients arrived unless they shrug and say multiple sets of emeralds, which would be lame.

8. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    But they still don't have an explanation for where they're from, how they were created, or what their true purpose was. All of those things still hold true. It's just that we now know of this older civilization that also used the Emeralds.

9. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Yeah, I agree about the emeralds. I preferred them to be completely mysterious. Though I guess they still are, technically... We don’t know where they came from on the ancients’ planet and where the master emerald came from on earth. The chaos emeralds drew the ancients to Earth because of the master emerald. Were they originally together on yet another planet and scattered around the universe? What was up with the broken purple master emerald-like thing that the ancients had? There are even more questions now.

10. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I know that, but I don't think they needed to be from another world, and that they needed to have all of this stuff with them set up to seal away some great evil. The ancients' story isn't the origins of the Emeralds, but it's more like "their introduction on Earth" which is something I didn't think was necessary.
    I do think that being drawn by the Master Emerald was interesting. I like that the Master Emerald is still some unexplained oddity. I thought the giant purple gem thing that I saw on Ares was interesting and it made me really curious if the Phantom Ruby would have wound up being some sort of counterpart. And now that I think about it, I wonder if the Sol Emeralds will ever get anything. One thing I find fascinating was Tails's comment that the Emeralds seemed to have some sort of will of their own, allowing Sonic and Tails to get back home at the end of Sonic Rush Adventure.

The way they were handled in the early games always made me think of Zelda, where there was always some new story with the same cast and the same power. It was bizarre to see them so casually strewn about in the Adventure games.

11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    One possibility I hadn’t thought about until now is that since the chaos emeralds are often in other dimensions (special stages) they could probably be accessed from any portal or rift or whatever on any planet in the universe. I’m not so sure how much of the special stages are canon though or what the exact rules and nature of them are, so it’s just a thought.

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

I do find it amusing that the Ancients having Cyber Space for telepathic messages and memory storage is emphasized after arriving on Earth -- which ends up being eerily identical to how Tikal and Chaos have effectively stored themselves inside the Master Emerald as sentient memories of sorts. Right down to being able to view past memories and lives as a result.

13. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    You know what I don't get? How did NONE of the cast notice the similarities to Chaos? Besides a single Egg Memo, which is completely optional content. None of the cast expresssed surprise or interest when they see the Ancients who CLEARLY resemble Chaos, one of the most important characters in Sonic history?

14. Lambda

Lambda

That's one of my biggest issues (alongside Sonic and friends not mentioning Sage after her sacrifice). They'll refer to Dark Gaia and the United Federation but don't mention the referece that's right in front of them.

I'm guessing, like many others have posited, that the story was haphazardly changed due to cuts. I'm fairly confident that the story would have been much better if the Devs had some more time and budget.

15. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    Twitch Streams
    My best guess is that despite the obvious similarity to US, the viewers, the cast cannot make the connection. Eggman makes a big deal in one of the Memos that "nobody would notice their similarity except a genius like him" or something along those lines.

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

Considering some of the Side Story content feels made separately from the main game at times, especially with the shortcuts they used for animation with them, I just personally go the route of development problems. The Egg Memos in and of themselves feel like they were made and directed on their own time, the Eggman scenes are jarring especially with how the game pretends they're plot important for Sage's growth, and the Side Story scenes only really touch upon the Chaos Emerald and Ancient origins after Rhea, with the rest of it being focused on the characters, story, or environments and rarely attached to any story progression at all.

It almost makes it feel like the Ancients becoming Chaos ancestors/brethren was in and of itself a late development decision and the Egg Memos got made late enough to acknowledge that, but not the other dialogue. If Eggman can make the connection but no one else can, not even specifically Sonic as the one who defeated Chaos before or Knuckles who is quite personal on that regard and this game genuinely talks about the history of the Echidna with, you know there's something weird that happened there.

Same with no one even acknowledging Sage's sacrifice, besides Eggman in a touching yet dialogue-less snippet, almost as if the ending was made and written independently of it even happening.

EDIT: Turns out some of the incidental dialogue Sonic has, that you'll probably never see in game without idling, has him go, "Those creatures in the visions.. They remind me of.." So he does acknowledge they look like Chaos, but never tries to draw focus to it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
  18. RikohZX

RikohZX

Apparently people datamining game files are saying that the original end game was seemingly going to involve spelunking one of the Ancient's planetary Ark ships they used to travel to Earth, hence unused lines with Sage referring to a ship and Sonic referencing a bad history with arks.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://gamebanana.com/mods/412396

This mod plus the whole ancients being Chaos’ race thing made me think, the reason they made kocos instead of just using chao was because… why exactly? Also ngl partially used this mod because the chao stand out more than the koco I couldn’t see them half the time.

20. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    because they wanted to copy the koroks from breath of the wild

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.