don't click here

57-year-old game creator Yuji Naka arrested in Japan

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Palas, Nov 18, 2022.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I’m just here to eat some popcorn and watch everything go up in flames

2. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    I'm not going to go out of my way to defend him in any way. He was dumb enough to put everything on the line for 20k bucks and got caught. Probably didn't even have a good time. All I can think is "lol. lmao".

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Why are some of you high horsing over this. Money is all made up; if you can get a slice from the big table, you're a winner. It's not like he stole cash or food from an orphanage or something.

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I would have far more sympathy for the kind of person who would be in the position of needing to steal cash or food from anyone in the first place; sounds like someone with no money and no food and no other options, if you ask me.

Yes, Naka is a small fry compared to the large-scale financial crime that exists in the games industry and big businesses as a whole. All that means is that a hell of a lot more people need to face consequences for their actions, likely including some of the people he was trying to get money out of.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The (original?) article that reported this news story claims they don't know if the trio sold their shares.

The internet loves its figures of hate but a bit of due diligence before "man should rot in jail" would be nice. Or again, wait for an actual conviction.

6. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    lol guys insider trading isn't good but this case is far from bloody murder or even real theft. Also buying stocks in a video game company because they are announcing a new title has to be some of the most benign insider trading I have ever heard of. He didn't like short a stock because he knew of an upcoming scandal where everyone is going to lose their money. This is more on the side of technically probably illegal than morally wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    The stock market is already a stupid made up game played by rich people, so the idea that you can get arrested for cheating at it is ludicrous to me.

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Eh you're kinda right I guess. Mostly I guess I'm just ambivalent to the idea of wealthy people having their money taken by other wealthy people. If it were poor people doing this, that'd be praxis, that's like if the child in my analogy before were some kind of demonic hellspawn, I get that. But lesser demons fighting greater ones? Meh.

9. I hope that everyone finds it in their hearts to forgive Yuji Naka.

10. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    Talk about a fall from grace.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why? He’s proven time and time again that he’s kind of an ass.

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Naka will always be the guy who made Sonic control great in the good old days (something the current Sonic Team are woefully incompetent/ignorant of ever achieving), so I will always appreciate what he did for Sonic.

That said, if he's found guilty of committing a crime (regardless of whether SE ratted him out or not), then he's only got himself to blame. So I've little sympathy.

[​IMG]

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You shouldn't be on his side just because he was part of a team that made some games you like, but also, it's only cheating the stock market in a country where everyone does it.

The guy actively threw his co-creator and team under the bus for decisions they had no control over and complained they conspired against him with... pretty much the entire rest of the company to get him thrown out. I feel like that's a much bigger stain on his character, again especially in Japanese culture.

Hating Naka now because of this is like hating Hitler because his moustache is stupid.

14. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    This is his punishment for attacking the Co-Creator.

15. Taylor

Taylor

Naka is an asshole but some people itt going fire and brimstone over this is kinda lol. This is just petty squabbles among people far richer than 99% of this board

16. Snowbound

Snowbound

I think there is a lot more information we need to know to make an informed opinion about this situation.

17. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I keep reading things here about rich people and poor people. I don't want to get into a squabble over crazy marxist rich-vs-poor talk, except to say that I believe some of you are a bit disconnected here. There are lots of "middle class" people who play the stock market too, even actively. I used to do it all the time years ago, and I certainly wasn't rolling around in cash. I've even made, I think, one $10,000 investment in a stock (which didn't work out like I'd hoped, sadly). So it's not merely a game for rich people by rich people. And I know many other people the same way. That's not counting 401k stock options and other forms of investment

As has been said already, this is just about the loosest form of "stealing" imaginable. It's bad because he has an unfair advantage, so he has significantly higher chances of profiting. And I would never do it with my employer. But if you gave me information about a company YOU worked for and I had no connection to it close connection to you, I have to say I would at least think about it. And I think a whole lot of other people would too. What do you think about that?

Also Black Squirrel is right to say we don't know he's guilty. I was tempted to say that in my first post, but then I lost sight of that. So I'm going to exercise some restraint in saying definitively "he did this; he's guilty".

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Taylor

Taylor

I have family in Brazil, so that colors my perspective. On a global scale, much of the American middle class is rich. That's not to say they're all bad people or whatever, I'm just saying it like it is. And even in the US, the vast majority of youth don't own stock, which is probably why there's some dismissiveness about the whole thing itt. Especially since the person in question actually *is* rich, and not just a rando forum poster :P

I do agree it'd be best to wait to see if he's actually guilty, though considering the ubiquity of inside trading in Japan, I can't exactly blame people for jumping the gun.

19. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    I mean you basically laid out why it's a game by rich people for rich people, and why it's impossible not to delve into "crazy" rich-vs-poor talk if you're serious about it. Some people have all the information and the capital to play and even sway the game in their favour while other people basically resort to, what, r/investing and buy&holding, or some form of technical divination of the signs the Market God sends.

So.

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

What's up with Shakira? Did she end up singing on Qatar?