don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    That video has cut lines that were datamined, but the guy making it went through the trouble of editing the video to make it look like they're used, which makes it confusing which ones are used or not

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I meant Storm, not Jet, that’s just a flub on my part.

The Babylonian stuff is talking about the civilisation generally though, not the rogues specifically.

3. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    I want more lore for Sky Sanctuary Zone. Does the Japanese manuals say anything about it?

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]
    Awaiting translation from friend.

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    "A flying temple from ancient times, looking like it could collapse at any moment."
    Since it showed up in a billion games afterwards I guess it did just fine :V

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    In fairness, it’s only really showed up a second time chronologically, that being in All Stars Racing Transformed. In Generations it’s back in the past and in Frontiers it’s a simulacrum in Cyber Space.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    With the Death Egg once more hovering nearby, it's also likely in the past era of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, if we count Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed as canonical.
    Since I don't quite recall cars flying past as Sonic and Tails climbed the ruins, I'd say not...

8. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Most circumstances in the series are either explicitly or implicitly concurrent with 3K, but the Frontiers prologue is the first thing explicitly showing it's not all gone just yet.

9. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Oh yeah, I somehow forgot that in the 2 weeks since that short released. Maybe it's just a lot sturdier than the manual gives it credit for in most places?

10. MastaSys

MastaSys

There's the Knuckles prologue animation.
    Lots of it is still around, if not the same amount as 3&K.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Considering Knuckles seems to need to glide and climb around them, it wouldn't surprise me if the roads Sonic took collapsed as the Death Egg went into orbit, but others like towers and buildings survived and just kind of drift around now.

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Most of Sky Sanctuary is still around in S3&K’s Knuckles story. I’m not sure where this notion that they crumbled away is coming from.

One thing that’s interesting about SS for me is that it floats separately from Angel Island. The island falls while the sanctuary remains in the sky… what’s keeping it afloat? I don’t think there’s any canon answer nor does there need to be, but it’s an oddity.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Not really? You get warped up to a single platform to fight Mecha Sonic... which then collapses as well.

As far as anyone could tell, the Sky Sanctuary was gone after the entire thing appeared to collapse in Sonic story and this, until it popped up in that prequel short to confirm it still exists.

(6:06 for the entire thing going down)

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The platform extends offscreen on both sides, any number of things could lie out of bounds. There’s no good way to show any additional parts of the level if the player doesn’t move out of the current area. I can see how you might assume what you assumed but it’s just one of multiple interpretations that isn’t really supported by what’s shown one way or the other.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I mean, we see everything collapse around Sonic, and then we see what could be remnants explode after Knuckles' boss fight, and we never see the Sky Sanctuary after that point in time until Sonic Frontiers Prologue: Divergence. Before that, it could have easily been argued it was gone.

Anyway, I was thinking about Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), trying to figure out how to resolve the plotholes further because that's a fun mental exercise, and I noticed that when Shadow and Sonic use the Chaos Emeralds in the future, they warp away. There's even a single frame where you see the green Chaos Emerald fling itself away.

[​IMG]

This is weird since Shadow and Silver do it again later, yet they retain the Chaos Emeralds used. It can't be because it was the expected outcome and they held on tighter, since Shadow is surprised Silver can do Chaos Control, while Silver would have been unaware of the outcome and loss of Chaos Emeralds...

Also, it occurs to me there'd now be two green Chaos Emeralds in the present:

1) The present green Chaos Emerald.
    2) The future green Chaos Emerald: when Sonic and Shadow use them to time travel, it comes out the portal with Rouge. She then sends it back to the future via E-123 Omega, and Shadow carries it with him while chasing Mephiles back to the present.

Looks like Silver's future only has six Chaos Emeralds...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  16. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    If it’s only a single frame is it probably not just a glitch? :V

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Unlikely, since the story considers Sonic and Shadow as no longer having the Chaos Emeralds after using Chaos Control. Shadow doesn't throw the green Chaos Emerald in after Rouge, for instance, and the next scene does show their hands as empty.

Also, otherwise would mean the present has 9 Chaos Emeralds kicking about, two cyan and two greens.

It could be the game trying to get the Chaos Emeralds out of the scene, going to 0, 0, 0 to remove them, but that would still mean they don't have the Chaos Emeralds any more.

I also think I've figured out the story's time travel...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I swear to god the more this game is described to me the less sense it makes and I think erasing its events from continuity at the end of its own story is one of the best decisions Sonic Team has ever made.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    It is, it really is just an absolute mess of a plot. It's why it's so fun to try and figure out.

20. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member