don't click here

The Sonic Frontiers *SPOILER* Thread (With Unmarked Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Sep 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDNexus

RDNexus

I'm reaching 35 this year.
    To think the next Sonic game may come by the time I reach 40... T-T

2. MastaSys

MastaSys

You shouldn't get bothered by it.

Getting old is a luxury that unfortunately not everybody can have.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Moving slightly back to the Ian Flynn discussion.

I don't feel like his writing has gotten worse at all. What I feel like happened is what usually happens with Sonic fans; we're so used to getting garbage, that when any moderate improvement happens, its treated as the greatest thing ever.

Anyone that came after Ken Penders would be seen as an improvement. And most of Flynn's initial run was cleaning all of his bullshit, which is what earned him his good will.

I think Flynn is a fine writer...by Sonic standards. What I mean is that his writing is pretty simple and he's also pretty flawed. But he got his reputation for essentially catering to what the fanbase likes and his dialogue at least shows he understands the cast.

The issues with Frontiers' plot feel more baked into how Sonic games usually tell their stores. A lot of the issues of 3D Sonic games are present in Frontiers. And that's not something Flynn can do.

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    It was such a bummer to watch the years go by after Generations. I was in 11th grade when it came out and it's only just this last week that a new 3D Sonic game came out that I've enjoyed since...out of the three released. Honestly wild to think about the past decade of this franchise sometimes.

5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm 31 and still live like I'm 21. Lol! I don't really care about age which I get is unusual for women. But if men can live well in their 30s I don't see why I can't! It helps I look decent for my age.

In terms of Sonic, it is weird in a way. I was 20 when Generations came out, 22 when Lost World came out and then 26 when Mania and Forces came out. Now I'm 31. There really was such a long wait between Forces and Frontiers.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I remember watching trailers and prerelease gameplay for Generations when I was *12*. It’s wild to me that a game that feels so recent has been around almost half my life.

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Well if is the turning into the "Sonic Forces me to have an existential crisis" topic, lemme say that Sonic Generations has been out for as long as I was alive before it released...11 years, an equal 50/50 split :V

I think that's probably one of the reasons I don't want them to take 5 damn years to release the sequel to Frontiers...I know it's important to give the development team all the time they need, but I'll be 27 by then! 27! :psyduck:

8. RDNexus

RDNexus

I just heard all Eggman Logs. Gotta admit, enjoyed his voice tone, felt more natural.
    I also wondered how Eggman and Sage came to have said relationship. Now I get it.
    Her being an A.I. built by Eggman that gained sentience by meddling with the Cyberspace and the Ancients' database explains much.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I am one year older than the Sonic franchise. :V

Anyone else run into those dogs or whatever on the final island? They only seemed to be on the part where the Green Chaos Emerald is and you have to go out of your way to see them.

I thought they were generic wildlife at last until they attacked me. All you have to do is parry them though.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2022
  10. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    Yeah, those dogs did seem a bit weird, but tbf there's also Ghost who is tried to specific obelisks on the last island...

The one part of the story I wasn't happy with is how they handle
    Sage's death and then apparent resurrection. Like, what was the point of her Heroic Sacrifice if you're literally just gonna bring her back right after? I thought how Shadow's revival after SA2 was handled badly, but this just takes the cake... I mean, I'm kind of happy that Sage gets to potentially stick around as a daughter figure to Eggman, as I loved the dynamic they had. But the post credits scene kinda ruins the impact that the entire last boss+ending had.

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'm curious whether Cyber Space Sonic and Open Zone Sonic are technically the same entity operating under different rules, or two separate characters like Classic Sonic contrasted to Modern Sonic. Because I'm genuinely curious if getting the Open Zone Sonic and all his upgrades into Cyber Space is even feasible, even if the physics mods out now render that nearly irrelevant.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Pretty sure they are the same unless things like the Koco mini games load a different model for no real reason.

13. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I loved the dog pack enemies once I learned how you beat them, but I will say that there should've been other ways to defeat them.

14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Given that 2D in the open zone and 2D in cyberspace control near-identically, they are almost certainly the same Sonic just with different physics flags (also because physics modding one changes the other).

Actually, while I've been messing around with Showin's mod (there's also beatz's mod but I didn't like how it felt), I've noticed two things:

1. Nearly the entire game is perfectly playable with this, so I have no idea why they decided to arbitrarily limit the physics in cyberspace.

2. I would sometimes boost off edges and enter Sonic's freefall state (albeit with no tricks), so I really think the entire difference is that it's just a Sonic with lvl 1 stats, no skills and a poorly-chosen physics preset.

15. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I can understand why they would make Sonic set to a specific way in Cyber Space: compared to the Open Zone, the Cyber Space stages are "time trials," so being able to change how Sonic plays would add a lot of variance and problems with individual players.

S-ranks are meaningless if you can go into Cyber Space with the Power Boost (S-ranks are easy already, but that's a separate issue), and the stages would be painful if they were designed for the fastest possible Sonic but you go in at level 1.

The real problem is the settings they chose are just poor.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    laughs in 1-2

So it occurs to me... Sage helped blow up a Moon...

...like father, like daughter.

17. VenomTH

VenomTH

So the consensus seems to be that Chaos is a mutated Chao which in turn are evolved, DNA-damaged versions of the Ancients that came to Earth?

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Pretty much. I think the intent is that the Ancients and Koco slowly merged together over time into the Chao.

Wait, does that mean if the Ancients used the Chaos Emeralds, they'd turn into something like Perfect Chaos?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  19. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I just beat the game last night. I like it but don't love it. I agree with Laura there is some SOTC stuff going on. The corruption thing was a bit lame. I'm so tired of Sonic and his friends always fixing the issue with the power of holding hands and friendship...I feel like this happens every game.

I pretty much agree with most of what Cybershell says in his video.

One thing that really bothers me, if they are going to rip Generations assets to make Cyberstages why not use assets from the other zones as well to give more variation? City Escape, Seaside, and Rooftop run would have helped vary the stages a bit.

I like the music but outside the boss fights nothing sticks in my mind because I usually associate music to zones, in this case since all the zones look the same I cant even begin to tell you which tracks were the best...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Honestly, it's less the levels looking the same for me and more that none of them have unique names. I know the track on the Sky Rail level absolutely slaps, but I don't remember what number that level is, nor the track name. There is a mod for this too, yet another thing that should be implemented officially, like Autumn Ouranos, faster speed/ring leveling, and better cyberspace physics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.