don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Cyberspace stage 3-3 is awesome.

Generations Sky Sanctuary is already great and this is a really interesting interpretation being entirely in 3D. Feels like a genuine remix. Proper open 3D routes and challenges.

Wish every Cyberspace stage was this good.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Whereas I on the other hand thought it was the best game the franchise had done since the 1990s, and still like it a lot. Colours HAS had a lot of retroactive hate flicked onto it.

Sterling has been worthless to listen to for over a decade, why are people still listening? That the Frontiers opinion happens to largely match mine just brings to mind the phrase about broken clocks occasionally being correct, doesn't mean the clock is worth using.

3. Trippled

Trippled

The games makes me appreciate how grind rails are used much more sparingly and effectively in other games. Just take SA2

City Escape used them first on those handrails
    Then Metal Harbor and Green Forest only used them on the edges of ramps
    Pyramid Cave used them 2 times to skip sections
    And then its Final Rush whole gimmick

Heroes does it better too

No grind rails for Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace
    It introduces kind of late in Grand Metropolis and outside of Egg Fleet, Rail Canyon and Bullet Station there is not much rail grinding that comes to mind.

It's how you use the objects you interact with. You might say Unleashed also has the same few elements repeated over and over. But it's paced so much better. Like how in Mazuri Daytime there is no 3D Rail grinding and its the only level with poles. Spagonia is the only time there is baloons you pop, in Frontiers all the damn time.

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Update on my wacky broken Achievement adventure: I started a new file and while I got the rest of the Kronos Achievements, the Phantom Rush Achievement still doesn't want to start tallying up, even with the tracker thing plastered on the screen. It's been at 0% the whole time. I guess I'll be just shy of 1000 points for Frontiers and that's that. Just a bit annoying.

Game's still fun to screw around with after beating it anyway. It's just fun to play. I'm glad they plan to build off of this for the next few games.

5. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've persevered through Chaos Island with a guide. The story is mental but I'm kind of enjoying the chaos.

6. Kyro

Kyro

You've made it through the worst of it, haha. The rest of the game is weird but I would say chaos island is the lowpoint, so hope the rest of the game treats you better

7. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

So anyways I beat the thing like right after my post and before I saw yours.
    It wasn't fun, but I eventually got a 256 multiplier and beat it. It just has the jank feeling physics. Someone also said you can just hold the ball in the flippers and wait for the red rings to spawn since they're on a timer and I wish I had known that and could cheese the multiplier.

Anyways, I beat the game on Thursday night. It was pretty good. I'd give it a 7/10 as most places are. I think the foundation it has is really solid but it had some jank and a little more iterating. But I had a good time. I do, however, not like how the 2D Cyberspace levels and I guess 2D open world segments do the same thing that Lost World and Forces does where Sonic runs like he's in wet cement and he's really slow for no reason. It doesn't feel good and feels like the game decided to change it's mind on how it works. It never made sense and it's just like not fun. Like the 3D ones are fine, but I always hate how the 2D one feels every single time. But yeah, I had fun with the game and would recommend it. I also liked the combat, which I was not expecting to!

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Oh my God

Who thought putting the score in the pinball game was a good idea?

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Somehow I feel like one of the few people that didn't have any problems with that section besides how long it went on for.

10. Kyro

Kyro

OH YOU ARENT *DONE* WITH CHAOS ISLAND YET...

No that part is awful, you can absolutely cheese it, and I managed on my second try, but i did not enjoy that at all lmao

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  11. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Yeah, it goes on for so long because the score you need is ridiculous for a pinball table that small.

12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Please tell me how to cheese it. This is mankind on its knees stuff.

13. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Check my spoiler and it tells you how to cheese it.

EDIT: Sorry, I have more things about the game. One, I upgraded my speed stat... and I don't see much of a difference. Like, where should I be looking mainly? I'm level 32 after beating the game. Also, I find no reason to upgrade the ring count. 400 rings is more than enough. I beat the whole game without upgrading it and it was fine and I played entirely on hard mode. The only thing that bothers me is the defense stat. I get it, it's meant to have you lose less rings on hit... but there are still things that make me lose all my rings like some guardians. So it feels a little pointless?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  14. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    There are White Eagle enemies that fire lasers at you, well if you parry said laser (which you do by holding down L and R buttons) you will then have said Eagle attack you, parry said attack again and the eagle will be stun allowing you to do a homing attack which will trigger a swinging pole gimmick which if you do right you will then be on top of said Eagle allowing you to move around in the sky. The idea of the enemy is to kill it by ramming into the ground or a wall but you can use that as a way to travel to another Island as long as the bird is flying high enough for you to do so. It's a bit of a cheat because every Island is indeed connected by a set piece but doing the Eagle method is actually faster. It's actually pretty fun to find ways to sequence break and Chaos Island has ton of those. Also a good way to travel said Island is to use the drop dash plus the boost to climb mountains. You be able to go from one side of the Big Island to the other really quick when you do this.

Try grabbing the Red Rings when you see em. Idk if there's some other speed strat but that's the fastest way to increase your multiplier.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Hey I liked the pinball stage. Didn't notice any janky physics and I think the score was too low. But then I like pinball so I might be biased! Ah well.

How about those suspiciously familiar shooting minigames, huh? I almost expired with pure joy.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I'm just glad they're largely piss, given that they're unskippable. I can't remember if this is true of Ikaruga proper, but being invincible to your current colour is nice in that it allows meter to fill super quickly.

17. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

It has nothing to do with liking pinball, dude. It's that the table is really small for getting 5,000,000 points and you need to get score multipliers to do it quickly and trying to get the rings is hard because there are bumpers in that pathway. So you have to cheese it and wait for the red rings to spawn so you can get your multiplier up quickly and just hope that jank shit like the ball falling in the far left and you lose your ball and your score multiplier. Also, it's not even real pinball since you don't even get the chance at getting an extra ball if you hit a certain score threshold so that's bullshit.

18. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Describe this

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Me liking the minigame is not a personal attack on you, chill out.

It's pinball enough for me. There's flippers, a ball, and shit to hit. I didn't have to cheese anything, I just played pinball the way I like to. Aiming for stuff, hitting stuff, watching the ball bounce around. That's my jam. I think I finished it with something like 10mil points? Could've been more, I lost track. I love pinball.

I remember having a whinge about the Puyo Pop mini-game in Mania too, so it's not like I don't empathize. You need to chill out though dawg.

@Starduster It is indeed true of Ikaruga proper. That's the whole caveat of the game. Maybe you're confusing it with Radiant Silvergun?

@DustArma I can't do it so I don't really know, but it looks to me like you homing attacking something, and boost before you hit it? The momentum of the homing attack is added to the boost and you go flying off faster than you should.

20. RikohZX

RikohZX

Magnet Dash, or M-Dashing. Homing Attack something and then immediately Boost out of it to cancel the attack, you suddenly rocket forwards through the air maintaining more speed than normal air boosts.