don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Yeah, that review is just no good at all. Reminds me of that other review posted here. Both claim they "wanted to like the game," I don't believe them at all. I can't even agree with them on points I do think have truth to them; it's like when you don't like a food but someone else talks about it like it's God's sin, and it's like, nah, it's not like that at all.

Though the other review is just a random person, I especially expect enough integrity from Sterling to not post misinformation about how the director claimed the game is a playtest or early access or whatever.

It's pretty clear they only brought it up because it confirmed their already wildly negative opinions (since it was less than a day before they published their review) and like, yeah, I'm not going to read their reviews if they're like this. I'll stick to their regular news videos.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    lmao you're about two days too late

Which brings me to something else: I'm surprised that the progression critical minigames/puzzles don't have a skip button, given how in vogue that is these days. I probably wouldn't have used it because damnit I'm stubborn like that but that's neither here nor there.

Honestly, the Ikaruga knock-off wasn't all that bad anyway outside of the true final boss, which itself became much more manageable once I realise that you're straight up invincible to matching bullets. The real pain in the arse was that damn pinball machine. For a moment, I thought I wasn't going to be able to progress in the game at all.

3. MastaSys

MastaSys

Then you don't know Sterling well.
    Sterling picks whatever makes more eyes look on their stuff, it's all click bait.
    Sometimes it aligns the the general consensus, sometimes not.

4. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Well I disagree. I think them giving Colors a 4.5/10 and Lost World a 7/10 were opinions ahead of their time. And I would give BOTW a 7 for the reasons they did, the highs don't make up for how annoying weapon degradation is or the rain climbing mechanics.

Sometimes her reviews are good to go to for a more nitty and gritty look at games that aren't afraid to nitpick or just to see someone express high joys at someone trying something different. This is neither. No game deserves a 1.5/10 unless it literally doesn't work. This is just clickbait.

5. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I've 100%ed Kronos, and that combined with certain cutscenes (
    THE ANCIENTS ARE CHAOS PEOPLE
    ) and that YALL WEREN'T LYING about the game feeling like you're playing a Sonic AMV LMAO, have basically made me suspect that they made the game for me specifically.

upload_2022-11-12_13-39-54.png

6. MastaSys

MastaSys

I don't think people's opinion of Forces leaking onto Colors is "ahead of it's time", Sonic Colors for Wii was a solid platform back then and the series direction that came from that will not change what the game was.

It's like saying Sonic 2 sucks because it gave sonic a Friend, thoughts that actually popped up now and then.
    Reeks of good old "Sonic was never good" energy if you ask me.

If anything those scores are swapped.

Wasn't even aware of that, funny how the shoe fits.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
  7. If you want a laugh, Sterling's old "Sonic's Worst Friends" list is pretty hilarious in how mean-spirited it is. I like her comment about Shadow's "bestial love story" - she thought Shadow and Maria were romantically in love with each-other? Wut?

8. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    The Jimquisition (I don't know if that's the name she goes by nowadays and I can't find a Twitter account from her to confirm, so apologies if that's not her preferred term of address) has had a hate-on for Sonic for years as far as I'm aware. She praised Sonic Mania but how could you not?

Even then, it's worth remembering that opinions are subjective and none of us are infallible. As far as I'm aware, the critic is entirely self-reliant, so there won't be people commenting on her work before it goes live and it could just be something as simple as she was having a shit day when she wrote the review. Then again, maybe she wasn't. It doesn't much matter either way really, we should be cautious in how we address her criticisms because the last thing we need is to be known for dogpiling reviewers for disagreeing with us an giving a poor mark to one of our games. With that said, if she's spreading misinformation or implying such unsavoury things about the people who worked on the game, that's something I can't abide by. But let's focus on that rather than a number score.

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    There’s only one word to describe the negative responses, and it is that they are absolutely pathetic.

First things off, they're just parroting "only traditional Sonic gameplay is good", a sentiment that is expressed by and also forced by members of this section of the fanbase. This is not surprising to anyone that has paid attention to articles like this. Moreover, it's evident that none of them would really like the old games if their complaints toward Sonic Frontiers were applied to them. For example, the person who wrote the Nintendolife article complains about how they have to collect a bunch of items and it gets repetitive. I wonder what Sonic games they thought they were playing. You always needed to collect rings to survive and collect the Chaos Emeralds to get the good ending in the Sonic games; many fans like to point out that Sonic games aren't just about going fast, and this person is complaining about collecting items as if it's some new thing. If they played Sonic Generations and judged it by the same grounds, then they would no doubt hate it. Then there is the Sterling reviewer that complain about the physics being unreliable and the camera being confusing, but that was generally the case in the “classic” games, too. In the end, none of these badmouthing review articles are worth considering.

What is worse is that it is expected for the reviewers to attack one (or more) of the employees at SEGA for this game; who likely refuse to understand that those employees most likely have less of a say in the final product than they realize. But it is a shame to see fans who read those reviews, who are gonna take their word and not buy the game. I know there are smarter fans out there who won't take it seriously and still buy the game, but I took this as complete disrespect when I first saw the scores. Scores like 1.5/10 and 4/10 are absolutely reprehensible.

You have to agree with me that on many counts, Sonic Frontiers has been the best Sonic game in five years. Sonic has the drop dash, and momentum, and good controls, AND the islands are completely original in Sonic Frontiers, but apparently that doesn't matter. While they didn't make everything as "perfect" as it was in the so-called "classics" (I use quotation marks because regardless of how highly you hold those games, they had their faults as well), they damn well tried, and you can see it in these games. Not only that, the reviewers can't argue that Frontiers was not a great improvement over its predecessor in Forces. Would they rather that Sega did not fix anything at all? Even when the people at SEGA try to fix things people still find things to hate about it, so it's no wonder they don't listen to reviewers, and some of the more whiny portions of the fanbase. A lot of these so-called "reviewers" need to grow up and stop complaining.

And if those """critics""" honestly think it's so bad, they should go make a better game themselves. :doge:

10. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I... wouldn't say all that, no.

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Chaos Island is absolutely miserable. Might use a guide. Game was fun despite being pretty bad up to this point. But this is just the pits.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I promise you the 2D drops off again once you’re past Chaos. This just seems to be the island’s gimmick for some reason.

13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Chaos Island is probably one of the worst sections of any Sonic game ever made. Absolutely not exaggerating. The rest of the game wasn't amazing but this is just abominable.

I have no idea where I'm supposed to go because the game isn't clear how I'm supposed to traverse the islands. The game keeps shifting me into 2D in the most obnoxious ways and the game controls horribly in 2D.

The island just look ugly too.

I'm going to try to push on but I may finally have to quit at this pace.

14. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Idk how you been playing this game but my advice for Chaos Island is like always try to get as many puzzles down along the way and if you having trouble finding the rails needed to go from Island to Island you can sometimes cheat and use the Eagles to fly from Island to Island.

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Please tell me more about cheating and using eagles.

16. For Chaos Island, I was really confused about how to reach Tails to talk to him on the suspended circular platform out in the middle of the sky. I spent two hours trying to figure out where to go (and getting distracted), before giving up and looking it up. Realising that the only route to that circular platform is a spring hidden underneath three boxes behind a ruin pillar was not a nice experience lol

Also just trying to traverse the island only to accidentally step on a boost pad and get sent into 2D platforming hell is not a good time. Definitely the worst island in the game, imo.

17. 2 hours of chaos island and yeah nevermind, i can see why it's the most controversial island so far, started off great until I had to get the emeralds and now it's just a huge bore

its a total pain to navigate and the random 2D sections are getting really grating because I have no idea where it's going to take me (usually farther away from where I'm trying to go), and god the environment looks boring as hell and makes it hard to even distinguish the ruins (which have been my main method of trying to figure out I am before I fully unlock the map)

At least the cyberspace levels I've played so far are actually fun, 3-2 and 3-4 are the best 2D stages in the game by far

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Yeah Chaos Island starts off pretty good and then descends into Hell. Fitting for the volcano!

I'm using a guide now to ease the pain. Lol.

19. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I thought Colors was mediocre when it came out. I was just fine with mediocre because we had many years of bad beforehand. I thought it was a good foundation for a fresh start but other than Generations it's promise was never realized.

I think it's a decent at best game on its own without judging it against other games.

20. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I hate how I make a post and then forget to post it, lol.

I like the 2D focus of Chaos Island.

I don't particularly like the 2D itself, but how it's used is interesting. The tower for example was a pretty nice application. I also like how you don't necessarily have to use it? You can enter the sections in 3D and you'll stay in 3D. They are not particularly unwieldy to use there. I appreciate the freedom, definitely.

It did get a bit hard to know where to go in Chaos but it eventually got much easier.