don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Patrolman

Patrolman

Loving the game so far but I can see why people have an issue with

Chaos Island. Its really difficult to navigate in that island and the overabundance of 2D in the open zone makes it worse

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Also, there seems to be a small bug on X-Box One that I've at least experienced, where I didn't receive two of the achievements for that particular section of the game despite doing everything.

3. I preferred that to anything we’ve gotten since SA2. There were moments I just laughed as I played because of how much I was enjoying myself. I hated, hated, hated the reveal and shat on this game up until maybe a month or two ago. The game seems rushed, there’s a lot of jank in the presentation, but I’ll be damned if I’m not satisfied.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. Kyro

Kyro

Im loving the game so far, im up to the final island and playing / watching my friends play and experience it has been nothing short of a blast. Its far from perfect but Im genuinely enjoying myself even more than I thought I would, though itnis still a very hard game to marathon. Playing it in bursts of an hour or so each time seems to be the best way to handle things

5. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    To add on, Unleashed did have minor pop-in in more open areas like the Adabat water running, or occasionally in the Werehog levels when new rooms freshly loaded in. Of course, that was on an iteration of the engine from 15 years ago. I'd be willing to wager the pop in present in Frontiers still caused by the same things as Unleashed's pop-in was caused by, though.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  6. RikohZX

RikohZX

I think it's not that the engine is having a broken time loading its assets, and more that the engine is so poorly optimized that they opted for the pop-in solution. I may be able to play at 60 FPS on my computer, but I can tell there's just things off with loading, and some things pop into view a fairly short distance away, most entirely props and the various Memory challenge pieces of geometry.

Given the PC port itself feels fairly second-hand and not very refined whatsoever, it is likely a last-gen and Switch concession built into the entire game.

7. Felik

Felik

So I've been trying to play this for two days now but Steam is constantly stuck in a loop of downloading the game, then verifying the install, then pausung. After I press resume it download about 500mb of data, then goes into verifying and pauses again.
    Is there some way I can fix this? Other games download and install just fine.

8. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Just completed the Game on Hard. Without getting into spoilers...

This game is AMAZING! Jesus Christ and God Almighty what a freaking Game! I'm an OG Sonic Fan who's first Sonic game was Sonic 2 back in the early 90s and been a fan on all his ups and downs so when I say this game was Amazing I'm not exaggerating. Is there jank? Yeah. But you know what? It doesn't matter cause the game is just FUN.

9. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Anyone else on Steam having trouble with the resolution options? I've tried setting the resolution to my monitor's native (1920x1200), but it just... doesn't change anything.

Also, on the topic of pop in, I've had a couple instances where rocks and bushes didn't render until I was standing on top of them for a solid ten seconds or so, which was pretty funny.

10. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Not sure, but this sounds very close to an issue I had on the Xbox Gamepass app earlier this year. The first solution I was told to try was clearing the Xbox app's download cache (steam has one as well), I don't remember if that was the issue but apparently it's a common cause for the installing/verifying loop.

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

It'll be interesting to see what the consensus is on this game after the honeymoon phase is over. This is probably Sonic Team's best effort since Generations, but I still have major problems with their design philosophy. It disappoints me to no end that the islands are just generic ass open world levels with grind rails and springs all over the sky. They could do so much more if they only made the island geometry fun to to interact with.

If I was in charge of Sonic Team, I'd institute punishment for every single use of a grind rail, spring, pulley, and dash pad lol. It's such a crutch it's embarrassing when you take a step back.

12. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    I was considering buying the PC port but then I found out the PC port is half-baked and it has negative mouse acceleration. Like... Holy shit that is amateur-hour horseshit and I'm not here for it. I really hope that either gets fixed in a patch (not optimistic, since Persona 5 Strikers has the same problem and that never got patched) or someone mods in a fix.

13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm enjoying it but there's no doubt in my mind that this is a sub par game. Lol.

The level design is almost entirely automated. Often it is disorientating The story, at least so far, is bad. I'm surprised by how poor Flynn is at writing. The combat is ok. The exploration is fun. The voice acting is absolutely atrocious.

There is a fun fundamental core here. But it is very rough as a game. In a years time it is clear to me that people will recognise the games poor quality.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Kyro

Kyro

PC version has been running well for me but im playing on controller, so take that with a grain of salt in particular. The only issue i ran into is the framerate with vsync turned off acts weird, and even on my 164 hz monitor screentears.

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Nah man, this is already one of the most fun Sonic games in my book. Lol.

16. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Just got to the second island. Some further thoughts:
    • That string of quests leading to the end of the first island was weird. It's cute seeing the Kocos and getting some intrigue but the pacing was all sorts of off. I had a whole bunch of those hearts collected by this point so I was just walking from location to location.
    • That giant laser puzzle was weirdly big-brain for a game like this. Having to learn how some graves affected others, and staggering their rotations accordingly, was unexpectedly clever.
    • The voice acting seems really weird. Everyone sounds like they're... restraining themselves? I dunno. Almost like they're holding their chests tight.
    • The major boss of this island was really janky. I didn't really know what I was doing. After a couple failures I dropped the difficulty and managed to beat the thing with some mashing and luck. I was surprised to hear female vocals for this fight.
    • Exploring is fun but it is predictably a bit annoying when you get caught on some automation and have to fight the game.
    • Limitations on where you can and can't go can feel really artificial. It's difficult to tell what surfaces Sonic can and can't stand on.
    • There have been references to things like the Mystic Ruins and Amy's card reading. I'm not sure if this is cute or a little overindulgent.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. Turbohog

Turbohog

I've warmed up a bit to Sonic's voice in this game, but I really can't stand Knuckles or Amy. Not sure on Eggman yet. Voice direction is definitely weird all around though.

On a related note, has anyone else noticed that Sonic and co's mouths just... don't move sometimes when they're talking? It's very awkward. I feel like they did mouth movement better way back in Adventure 2 lol

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It is fun. I'm enjoying it. But I mean it is still repeating the same problems we have had for decades.

The level design if we can call it that is just as automated as Forces, if not more. And at least in Forces it wasn't totally disorientating having automated platforming sections in an open space. I'll accidentally hit a spring and think oh God here we go as I get launched in a direction I didn't want. And the controls temporarily get locked. Lol.

19. Turbohog

Turbohog

I've just reached chaos island and I think the automation is definitely at its worst there. At least in the other two islands launching from a spring didn't almost always lock me into a 2D section I didn't want to enter.

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Please elaborate (as generally as you can without spoilers, of course) because this is just baffling to me. In my opinion, this is the best writing in a Sonic game ever. It's not as good as the comics under Flynn but these characters have never felt more authentic and lifelike to me.