don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. corneliab

corneliab

Hahaha. I caved and bought this, and I'm having a great time. I was so convinced this would be a dud to me and it isn't, at least so far. The movement feels very good, and even the combat is kind of interesting. The key to the latter seems to be that you can cancel your dodge animation with a boost, which lets you fight aggressively. The drop dash being in this was an inspired choice. It's fun to go careening down hills with this thing.

And of course the atmosphere and music are like... really good. There's definitely jank in here to be sure, but it's not a dealbreaker. I can't even say I'm disliking the cyberspace levels either... the digital aesthetic and music is selling them pretty damn hard. That introductory one in particular left quite an impression with its abrupt start, weird digital aesthetics, and freaky music.

God damn I'm eating some crow and it's finger-licking good.

Edit: For anybody tinkering with the movement sliders, consider keeping the "starting speed" option high... but not at max. I just maxed everything out on a suggestion, but this option benefits from some restraint. Instantly zipping about from a standstill is too awkward for me and I need at least some buildup. 85 feels pretty good.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  2. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    So it took me almost 4 hours to clear Kronos, just casually exploring. I 100%d probably 3 Cyberspace stages and didn't make any attempt to rush or anything. Just kinda did what I wanted while chatting with friends about the game, so I'm pretty happy with the playtime so far. If all 5 islands take this long, they've probably hit their 20 hour playtime, and I've still got stuff to do when I revisit it.

Spoiler-free impressions so far about the game itself... it's fucking fun. It's really fun. Sonic controls like a dream. Sure there are some choppy bits and occasionally weird interactions with the level geometry, but I haven't clipped into a wall or anything. Turning as Sonic and running in endless tight circles just feels so natural. Boosting and launching off of ramps and hills feels really satisfying and I love trying to see how much height I can gain from doing crazy jumps. My favorite part is probably how engaging it is just to go from point A to point B. I feel like I took a different route or tried a different trick each time I went to a location, seeing it I could launch off a rock or drop dash across some platforms or boost jump off a rail. It feels very free and seems to allow for a decent amount of creativity, which is something I really want from a Sonic game. It's by no means perfect, but wow it feels so good just to move around.

Cyberspace controls pretty weird, but for the most part it isn't a huge issue for me. At times it feels like you need to work around some of the stages' little "quirks", like uncurling before you go around a loop because you can't clear loops while rolling, or boosting to the side to clear turns (Sonic can't turn the way he does in Cyberspace, but you can switch boost directions very easily to navigate turns). The stages themselves I thought were actually pretty fun... even with the different controls that break pace from the Open Zone, it feels a lot better than Gens/Forces Sonic (imo imo imo IMO DONT ATTACK ME). 2 of the stages actually gave me a bit of a challenge, but the rest I kind of bullshitted and they just felt way too easy. A challenge mod that just edits the rank time requirements and red ring locations could go a long way. Using the dropdash in 2D is really satisfying when you figure it out, and using all your little movement tricks to optimize your route and keep the pace going is pretty darn fun.

Oh and my mind is completely blown by the song for the first boss. My reaction went from oh... to oh... to oh ok wait what?
    The first scream took me aback for a second, then when the vocals picked back I realized SEGA hired Kellen Quinn to sing a Sonic boss song?? Like a genuine metalcore song??? I am currently having possibly the biggest fangirl moment of my life, I never imagined these 2 things would ever come together. It was just fantastic, the fight was pretty sick too honestly, although it felt REALLY easy and I only made it to level 15-20ish in attack and defense.
    Cyberspace music is dope, I've love the tracks I've heard so far and they contrast well with the heavy boss music. It's a nice mix IMO.

Oh, I'm also really surprised the game runs so well on my PC at max settings. I have a 2060, but my FX-8150 CPU (yes, I am living in bottleneck hell) is even less powerful than the game's minimum requirement. Maybe it's just a very GPU heavy game? Either way it's running pretty smoothly on all high settings, no complaints at all about performance.

All in all it's a lot of fun so far and I'm really looking forward to picking it back up tomorrow and finding out what's happening with the story. And yeah, it's definitely not perfect by any means, but it's a huge breath of fresh air and honestly it's too late in the morning to think so hard about the bad stuff. Cheers!!! Hope y'all are enjoying the game.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  3. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    finally got the game, just finished the first cyberspace stage and Sonic controls pretty well! He's so much smoother than he was in Forces. My one criticism is that the lightspeed dash is not fun to use at all, it completely kills all your speed and brings you to a dead stop.
    upload_2022-11-8_10-56-20.png
    also, what does this mean? I've been stuck on this screen for 30mins and it's moving at a snail's pace.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I'm guessing your game isn't actually done installing.
    Modern consoles allow you to start playing the game before the installation is finished, but you'll only be able to play the tutorial stage most of the time.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  5. Yea, it's loading that happened to me too when I booted up on PS5.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Man, I remember when part of the appeal of console games was that they didn't have wait times for installation.

My dad agreed to hit download on the game for me (since it unlocked while I was at work), and when I got home during my break, he said it was done in like, fifteen minutes.

7. Flare

Flare

Being able to control movement... OMG I didn't know this is what I needed from the series. I have it set much slower in speed and accel, and faster turn and wow it is much better. Wish it effected cyber stages... still feels like I'm playing Forces there...

Haven't gone too far in but overall happy, on the Switch version. For those who may want to know, still plays well. The graphics take the biggest hit, pixely, but doable.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I'm still liking what I've played but I can't shake the feeling that this feels like a really long tech demo rather than a full video game but it's still fun.

The appeal now is that unlike PC you know the game will work on your system? and you don't have to change any graphical settings (unless you want to on gen 8 for the different quality modes) or install any drivers.

Its still much simpler than using a PC to game even with just steam.

9. I went on a fucking quest today finding a copy for Xbox lol. A canceled reservation, five store visits, lying stock systems, 30 minute wait at a check out, six separate train rides, two bus rides, and four and a half hours later, I have it.

Figures. I bought an Xbox because they’re so much easier to get in Denmark than a PS5, and then the game ends up being impossible to find lol.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Got the game! Only had the chance to play for like an hour and a half, basically beat the tutorial area and the 1st 3 cyberspace zones. I’m having a great time though, really happy so far. Idk it’s just so fun running around open areas as Sonic I’ve missed being able to do that.

Also cyberspace S ranks are tougher to get than I anticipated (does Hard Mode make a difference there because I’m playing in Hard mode). I’m just not used to those controls yet, Sonic’s pretty slow compared to previous boost titles.

11. Sui Eel

Sui Eel

captan Member
    I will have the big fat Japan collector set soon... once I fix the fact that I entered the wrong shipping address.

12. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    So, some PC-centric impressions:

• Lack of HRR support is a massive disappointment for a game coming out in 2022.
    • The 60FPS Cap isn't even properly implemented, instead capping at 61FPS which will introduce judder unless you have a VRR display.
    • The FMV quality is atrocious, it feels like something out of a Xbox 360 game.
    • No stability issues so far, the game also runs very well but I can't really make it use more of my 3060Ti due to the limited graphics options.
    • The UI is kind of... laggy? It doesn't feel as responsive as it could be.
    • The pop-in is extremely noticeable and I really wish it was something you could tweak.

13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Seems to be a problem on consoles too, there's this a weird delay in most menus and it feels off compared to the buttery smooth 60 fps gameplay

14. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Stayed up until midnight to play it on Series S. Played it for about an hour. Here are my initial thoughts after playing the prologue (and the first titan? Not really sure what that was):

- I get kind of giddy thinking about the darker direction of the game. I'm an Adventure baby (SA2B was my first Sonic game) and
    Pop-in is also very noticeable on Series S. I think that's an issue inherent to the game (unless the PS5 version is really the best version).

15. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Has anyone gotten a code for the SOAP shoes yet? I keep checking my email and nothing...

16. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Is it running at 60fps on Series S? I got it on PS5 but if I hadn't gotten a PS5 in time that's the version I'd have gotten.

Sonic Team are honestly technical wizards so I'm already guessing they managed to pull it off. Just want confirmation.

17. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I never felt like my UI lagged, could be a user specific issue. I did think the way you had to navigate the menu was pretty weird, I found myself trying to use the triggers or just analog stick left-right to swap menus, but you have to press A before you can even scroll in the current menu. It's the last thing I would care about but it's just a strange choice

18. Flare

Flare

ONE BIG ANNOYANCE... I wish you could turn off as you can turn off most things... the camera can't move icon that flashes. It shows every time the camera locks?!

19. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The menus aren't laggy, they're just arbitrarily delayed. I don't think it's a bug, it just for some reason waits a half-second too long to give you control whenever you click anything.

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I squeezed about two hours in before I crawled into bed. Definitely enjoying it so far. It just feels good to run around the island as Sonic, doing little tasks and "puzzles," and it controls well. I don't think I adjusted the sliders or anything after starting in High Speed mode, but I don't think I'll need to. Cyberspace can be pretty jarring because of the physics differences, but given the layouts, it works alright. One thing I don't like about Cyberspace is that you'd better be sure you want to jump in a direction before you do, because you're not changing your trajectory for squat. This was very annoying in the first Cyberspace stage when trying to hop on the piles of boxes for the 10-Rings. Once you know that's how it works though, it's fine.

I do like how certain tasks add rails so you can "fast travel" back to areas that are further away. I'd rather have something like that than a warp if I'm being honest (I don't think I fast traveled once while playing the PS4/5 Spidey games because of just how good it feels to get around). I'm already intrigued by the Kocos and whatever wild back story they've got going on.
    It was weird to see one reunite with its kids, but then it and one of the kids seemingly dies, and Amy notes that it felt more like a "completion" than a tragedy, with all the other Kocos totally unfazed. Call me curious.

Once I get through work and supper, I'll be back at it, taking on the Squid boss that's been buzzing around. I enjoyed taking out the two Asuras I've run into, though I'll second/third/fourth the others who have said one or two of the phases/arms can be a bit janky, especially the third. Anyway, I'm definitely itching to play more. I'll be off work Friday too, so I can really dig in then.