don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I maxed out Sonic's speed and defense on the second island. I'm on the third right now and my speed is level 70 something.

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

Guess it's manual release after all then.

Edit: 27.95 GB in the Steam listing because it's out now, it's over double the Switch version's size. How much pre-rendered video is that, or is that pure asset/texture resolution?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Switch games generally have quite a bit of compression tbh, but I do imagine that jettisoning the higher resolution textures helps a lot.

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    upload_2022-11-7_21-18-12.png
    grrr why wont it finish downloading already i wanna play the new sonic game

im so salty we didnt get a preload

5. RikohZX

RikohZX

Seems that for Steam at least, unless it tied to my account, the SA2 Shoes are on the store as free DLC.

or they were, now they're missing all the sudden

6. It helps in Elden Ring’s case that the game doesn’t randomly shift into playing like a worse version of King’s Field when you enter those.

7. The game is officialy out, so have fun for who buyed it!

8. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    upload_2022-11-8_5-31-48.png upload_2022-11-8_5-32-14.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Annnd this might be unplayable for me. I've got a pretty decent rig that clears the recommended specs but this game just seems to crash every few minutes of gameplay, so I can forget trying to clear the tutorial in a reasonable timeframe.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    You're getting gameplay? I'm getting crashes whenever I go to the graphics options. All I want to do is play the game in full screen. :))))

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I've been trying since the newsletter started to get the SA2 shoes for Steam but all I ever got is an error in the end.

Anyone have an extra Steam code to throw my way?

12. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I'm also getting crashes going into graphics. It also isn't properly full screen, but it doesn't crash doing that.

Otherwise the game runs perfectly.

13. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Turns out my issue was that the game was running on my integrated card rather than my GeForce GPU, so make sure your settings are alright on that front.

14. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Oh my God, the rolling in 2D feels SO much better. Sonic doesn't seem hitched to everything.

EDIT: I can also confirm that the graphics setting crash and full screen issue is due to my laptop going for integrated. Funny, unlike with Origins, my game ran perfectly even on integrated.

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

The open zone controls are about as fine as everyone made them out to be, though one air boost at a time can really gimp you if you're not careful, but the Cyberspace stages are like.. everything wrong with Sonic 06 and Forces in terms of controls combined.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I dunno how much time it takes to Ctrl+C Ctrl+V a level but I can't imagine they wasted that much time on them. Probably gave an intern a chance to learn their toolset.

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

18. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I played 2 1/2 hours of the game and called it quits after beating the first Titan. Here are my general thoughts, trying to keep spoilers to a minimum:
    • Pop-in is still kind of an issue. It's not awful in the middle of gameplay, but if you stop and look for it you'll notice it. I had one instance in the tutorial where I was standing on a non-existent boulder for a solid 5 seconds before it poofed into existence.
    • Sonic controls very well in the overworld. Jump feels slightly stiff, but otherwise he controls like a hot knife through butter. I used High Speed mode.
    • Combat was a bit mindless, but fun. Fighting regular enemies is less about figuring out how to kill them at all, and more about chaining your skills together to kill them as fast as you possibly can. Kinda fitting.
    • The Guardians are a good time, my only low point being Asura. He is janky as hell. It's certainly cool running up his arms and flying into the air, but too often my combo got interrupted for no reason, and multiple instances where I just clipped through the thing entirely.
    • Cyberspace levels were better than I expected. Control is not as good as the overworld, but I got used to it. The short length of the stages makes it easier to replay them to beat all its missions.
    • This game really exploits what I like to call the "hey look, a squirrel" design philosophy. There's so much shit to do everywhere you look. You always see something out of the corner of your eye, and wonder "how do I get there?" It's really easy to get sidetracked from your main objective to just run around and collect shit.
    • Similarly to Spider-Man, sometimes it's fun to just dick around randomly in the overworld. Traversal is fun, even if I would've liked more momentum physics-based movement.
    • I did get tired near the 2-hour mark. It felt a little draining doing small platforming challenges, getting single collectibles out of them. It wears thin after a bit.
    • The real highlight of my play session was the Titan boss battle. I said I was getting tired near the end, but this woke me up. Holy hell. Without getting too into detail, the fight was fucking bonkers. It had a ton of spectacle, but it wasn't all style and no substance. I still had to think on my feet and pay attention to what was going on. I actually died my first time fighting it, and came close to death the second time. And the accompanying music KICKED. ASS.
    My big takeaway is that this is NOT something you should marathon under any circumstances. You will get tired of it. Play this in spurts over the course of a few weeks. Generations is still my top 3D Sonic game, but if this game keeps up the momentum (heh), it could be up there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It personally took me 6 hour to 100% the first island, before moving on to the second one.
    Maybe I'm just starved for some Sonic action but I never got tired of it :V

Also that Super Sonic boss battle...wow. Just...wow.
    Just like the way Sonic controls is gonna make it hard to go back to previous Sonic games, the Super Sonic gameplay is gonna make it damn hard to go back to previous final bosses. That was incredible.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Only had about an hour of break time to check out the game. Seems fun so far. Cyberspace isn't as clunky as I was worried it would be, but it still feels completely needless for it to have a totally different set of physics. You bet your ass the moment a mod comes out to replace cyberspace Sonic with normal Sonic, I'm turning that shit on and never turning it off.