don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Flare

Flare

The game is officially out tomorrow so sometimes copies arrive early plus reviewers will have their copies... my only guess about the 21st could be that the store you ordered it from sold out so you have the next batch?

2. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    No it's not out for another few hours, some people have managed to get their copies early for various reasons. Also the entire ROM of the switch version has been floating round the internet the last few days.

The review embargo also ended, so I guess reveiwers are now allowed to show of more of the game.

Good luck avoiding spoilers though!

EDIT: Damn I got ninja'd

3. MH MD

MH MD

already exists

https://twitter.com/NexusD98/status/1589308937152925696?s=20&t=ZpJDJ0B-rCF5i1ix-HPt2g

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Thanks for posting this! I was torn between jumping right into the game VS playing around with the physics until it felt right. I'll probably just start with these settings since they seem to have put a lot of thought into it

5. Cool so I can just plop these in and the stiff controls of cyberspace will be fixed right?

6. RikohZX

RikohZX

Really am hoping Cyberspace isn't segregated in code so much that we can't get the main game physics in there quick.

7. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    &*%$!!

Here I am, sitting in front of my computer eating cheese balls (with a toothpick). I'm staring at the screen of my Switch, waiting. I've been waiting, only to find out, that third party games take a bit longer to unlock. Lol

I think I'm going to brush my teeth and go to bed...

8. Following up on this: https://twitter.com/KatieChrz/status/1589776723591450624 - per Katie, Frontiers will manually be pushed out on Steam to ensure it is available at 9PM PST / 11PM CST / 12AM EST (approximately 4 hours from now).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. BTw, I HIGHLY suggest people to play in High-Speed Mode when starting. Action is dreadfully slow by comparison.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I was thinking back to this, and in the latest IGN video this is actually completely absent!

(1:05 Timestamp, Retro's embedding system breaks them.)
    I wonder why the other footage has been different.. Maybe an instant homing attack is locked behind an upgrade? That'd make sense but we don't get our hands on the game for just another few hours, so that could be false info.

11. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It's only when you attack the enemies right? The balloons and springs don't trigger this effect for some reason.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. I’ve noticed that before. Homing into balloons functions as it normally does but enemies get that stupid juttery one. It’s like how 06’s or Sonic 4’s homing attack functions (stopping your air speed dead in its tracks) which is not ideal.

It’s obviously to give the attack a bit more impact visually but it doesn’t feel good to play. I’m also wondering if it was a change done for the combat system in order to let it chain into attacks better, then it just got carried over into boost.

Edit: Ninja’d.

13. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The rather clear answer is that it's the hitstun from fighting enemies in the Open Zone. It makes sense there because it leads up to a combo and gives you a second to get your bearings, but in Cyber Space where all enemies die in one hit, it just slows things down.

14. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Interesting, I didn’t consider that would be the case.

15. Looking at Forces again, the homing attack there seems to kill all airspeed as well when not targeting balloons.

So the only difference here is that the game briefly pauses to give Sonic a chance to follow up in combat. It’s not egregious since you can boost to quickly regain speed but it’s definitely not great.

Maybe they should have allowed for the more free aerial movement if the player taps the attack button quickly and only do the current one when the button is held after executing the homing attack. It’d allow for cool combos as well by letting your speed carry you over the enemy after attacking in order to target the back.

16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Uhhh.. shouldn’t something like this have been ironed out?? It’s baffling this is sent out last minute; the almighty crunch culture strikes again

upload_2022-11-7_20-29-0.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Frostav

Frostav

The fact that basically every review and impression talks about how the open world is the star feature and the cyberspace levels are okay at best, when Sonic Team's explicit reasoning for having the latter was worrying that people wouldn't like the open world...

It just shows a bizarre lack of self-awareness on ST's part. They wasted this time making cyberspace levels when they should have had feedback about the open world being good enough to carry the game early on. Wouldn't be ST without bizarre ass decisions I guess.

18. MH MD

MH MD

its more content, it’s presence add to the game rather than taking away from it, there is a reason why BotW and Elden Ring have those subpar shrines/mines/catacombs things, they aren’t that good, but remove them and suddenly you are left with a worse game with less content and more empty open world with less to do and explore

19. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Thank you, Katie :)

20. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    If its a technical reason, I figure the DLC not valid post-tutorial is fixable & should be in a future patch. Let’s hope that is the case.

But if it’s a matter of gameplay/design? Questionable choice.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022