don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Since I was passing by my local game shop on the way from class, I tried to charm my way into picking up my pre-order one day earlier...and it worked!!! Game is installing as we speak; I can't waiiiiiiiit :V
    (the steelbook is lovely too)

Now for the European-only part of this post...one interesting detail I've noticed is the PEGI rating mentioning "fear".
    While that rating was technically always a thing afaic, it's personally the first game I ever see actually using it lol.
    Series like Resident Evil never bother with it, so I'm guessing it's something specifically reserved for games targeting a younger audience? (Frontiers being PEGI 7)
    For my American friends reading this, does the ESRB rating mention anything about "fear"? Do you guys even have such a rating in the first place?

Either way I can't wait to see what kind of eldritch monstrosity I'm gonna run into lmao

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can’t play this til tomorrow evening unfortunately, I have to go into my office during the day and then we might be doing a coworker happy hour after that (I’ve been there for 6 months we get to this now? On this specific day? How dare lol). But I’ve kicked my husband out for the evening so I’m playing lol, if only for a few hours before I have to pack up everything before I move Thursday.

this game came out during a very busy week for me

3. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    it's kinda funny to see that some people have 100% completed the game and are already forming nuanced opinions about it, meanwhile it's not even officially out yet lol

I ordered the game from ShopTo. In the past they've always sent out my pre-orders a few days before release date so I was kind of expecting my copy to be here by now... (ಠ_ಠ)

I'm mostly just worried about dodging spoilers, people are apparently already seeing spoilery stuff online

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I distinctly remember Professor Layton and the Curious Village also being rated PEGI 7 and having a fear descriptor, but I think that was very much due to the vibe of the game, given how atmospheric the music was as you went to all sorts of places you shouldn’t be going to in order to uncover the conspiracy behind St. Mystere. I think it even had a jump scare or two.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    8.5 is pretty good, last 3D Sonic to get those kinds of scores was Generations. I know it’s only 1 review, but still good start.

7. Patrolman

Patrolman

8. netscapenow

netscapenow

Other scores from Sirus Gaming for reference:

Origins: 8
    Colours Ultimate: 8
    Team Sonic Racing: 6.5
    Forces: 6

Seems decently fair to me (Colours Ultimate and Origins definitely have problems but they don't seem to be as noticed by general critics as a whole). I hope other reviews continue this trend.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  10. 0.1 higher than their score for Forces lol.

11. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    IGN's score genuinely surprises me. Colors, Generations, Team Sonic Racing, and even Colors Ultimate got 8s.

And 7 isn't even bad! But they were an outlet I was safe in expecting an 8 at least.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    So the consensus seems to be that the game is decent, it's a bit rough around the edges and doesn't fully live up to its ambitions, but is overall still fun and a big step in the right direction for the franchise. And you know what? That's kind of all I wanted. I really can't wait to finally play it.

13. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Im a bit disappointed in this as well...there's a few other reviews coming out mostly as 7s. Makes me think this game is just going to be average....guess I'll just have to see for myself tonight.

14. Patrolman

Patrolman

IGN Japan gave 8 though

• List
  15. A little less than I expected but most major reviewers seem to be giving the game 7-8s so that's cool with me. Saw one review that gave it a 2/10 and that's just insane to me

16. I honestly think it's cool to see game receving 7 between 8; for me it's a good thing and means the game's doing nice. I was not expecting the sore being this higher.

For me, personally, this already makes me happy. Waiting for more scores tho'.

17. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Just dicking around in the overworld rn and holy shit he really does control as well as people said, it's fucking surreal lol
    It's definitely not as tight in the cyberspace stages but it's still galaxies away from everything that came before boost wise, it's not even a contest

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  18. Turbohog

Turbohog

I definitely still think Sonic controlled better in Adventure 1 and 2, but this is probably the best he has controlled since (in the over world only).

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So it occurs to me: everyone who went to the Starfall Islands gets captured, in Robotnik, Amy, Tails and Knuckles' cases, or is fighting Sage who is trying to force them off the island in Sonic's case...

...except Big, who seems to be getting left alone. I guess Sage just likes the big guy.

20. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    OpenCritic went up to 75 "Strong" and I'm praying it stays there, lol

Big literally just wandered onto the islands, lmao.