don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Ok, lack of details was convenient this time, but we still have to rely on headcanon for actual details on how they work.

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Just retcon everything in the manuals so we have a proper answer that will pissed off people.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

- 3:30 - So now that there is somehow only one timeline and that Sonic Mania seems to somehow exist in the same universe as the Modern Sonic games, would you say the Classic IDW Sonic comics take place in the past of the Modern IDW Sonic comics as a prequel of sorts?

- Yes. (...) Where does the IDW stuff fall? Somewhere after Mania.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Is that a Frontiers spoiler? I really hope it isn't.

6. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It’s not. We’ve known the classic branch is just the past now for a few months, I’m not sure why black hole is posting like that.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Because I'm making a joke. I do that sometimes. It's a callback to when they stopped the Two Worlds stuff and I posted the same thing, since I had been complaining about it prior and jokingly attributed my complaints as to why they stopped Two Worlds.

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    My bad! I'm understandably *on edge* for spoilers, even accidental ones :V

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Job Summary

Reporting to the Director of Lore and Creative Strategy, the Sonic Team is seeking an Associate Manager, Lore to support the growing needs of our lore team. With both project management and creative duties, you will be immersed in the organizing and shaping of Sonic lore, canon, characters, and universes, helping to bring consistency, connectivity, and creativity to all things Sonic across various forms of media including games, animation, comics, and more. Codifying the current status while planning for the future, you will help the lore team stay organized, prioritized, and galvanized, all while facilitating transparency and communication across the organization.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/associate-manager-lore-at-sega-of-america-inc-3348626228/

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    You also need to be able to commute to California in January 2023. I know, I want to apply but I'm kind of in the UK...

It's remote work until then, but I would kill for this job.

11. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    honestly i dont doubt it

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I imagine they’re already swamped with thousands of applications. I feel sorry for whoever has to go though all of them…
    To whoever that is: sorry for making your job even harder.

13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Wait, this is real? I saw it via Twitter and assumed it was a shitpost. Well, at least we know they’re serious about keeping things consistent going forwards…

I do wonder whether the likes of Tyson and Ian were given the right of first refusal on such a position, however.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It’s an associate manager role, not a singular “lore master.” Going off the description, there’s higher people on the food chain you report to and help manage a team of other people too. It would also be odd if Ian or Tyson took the role since they’re freelancers that work on multiple franchise and presumably would like to remain that way.

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm more curious that of the three series they used as examples of their "countless gaming hits", one of them is Golden Axe.

Don't get me wrong, Golden Axe is great. Just wondering why they chose that over Yakuza, Virtua Fighter, OutRun, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi...

16. Prototype

Prototype

I did hear rumours that there was a new Golden Axe in development. Potentially by the same people who did Streets of Rage 4. Maybe they're trying to softly reintroduce it to people before bringing out a game? I mean, they did post that prototype of a scrapped GA revival (even if they handled it poorly and insulted the programmers who were running on SEGA's insane counterproductive demands), which may have been a way to get people excited about Golden Axe again.

Because I mean, when has SEGA ever intentionally been like "Hey, here's this random prototype that was never released. Have fun!"? Something had to lead to them digging through the available Golden Axe assets.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Ah, you're applying too? Good... good...
    [​IMG]

+ - (I'm joking)  

I'm surprised, after Golden Axe: Beast Rider...

18. Prototype

Prototype

I think Beast Rider could have been good had they not been subject to certain industry demands and company politics. I mean, it's not like they stopped releasing Sonic games after 06. Or Forces. Look at us now, all excited for Frontiers.

I think they're probably looking at the sheer success of Mania and SOR4 and thinking that maybe it's time to re-approach their classic IPs, especially since the more hesitant executives have probably seen that side-scrolling beat-em-ups can still be successful.

I think they just need people who care about the franchise to do something good with it.

I want to see that wacky fun game energy return. Golden Axe is a pretty silly game in many respects, along with all those early arcade titles (Shinobi/Alien Storm/Golden Axe).

SOR4 didn't shy away from some of the sillier aspects and put in the Kangaroo character as a bartender in a level. I feel like there was perhaps too much importance put on making any follow-up more serious and Conan-esque, where the first game had a nice balance.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Y'know what I want? Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder being released over here.

Still, I feel we may be off topic in The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines, so let's divert back to the continuity of the series with the blue hedgehog.

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

While said job seemed appealing and interesting, I'm not wholly versed in all things Sonic, so I might not be a decent enough choice for the job.
    I focus a lot on the gameverse, and even there I miss tons of stuff and nuances... ^^"

Also, if SEGA intends to reintroduce classic IPs to current player bases, how I wish they picked up again the Phantasy Star Classics.
    Maybe an HD revision of the PS2 remakes or a new take on those and Phantasy Star IV...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022