don't click here

The Sonic Frontiers *SPOILER* Thread (With Unmarked Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Sep 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    There is legit just a Sonic 3 screenshot while Knuckles is having a flashback on the second island.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. OK so I'm officially done with this game for now. Accidently overwrote my save file and I'm back at the beginning and I'm no mood to replay it.

Maybe later, I dunno. have fun

I'm out.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    What about the auto-save?

4. What do you think I'm referring to...

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

Okay, I'm a few hours in and I'm at the second island. So far, I'm having much more fun with the open world than I expected (although I would much prefer something more physics based like Sonic Utopia). The cyber stages are by far the worst part of the game. I didn't play Forces, but the levels seem on par with that game's levels, maybe worse. Sonic just handles weird in cyber space and is frustrating to control. The cyber levels also just are not really fun or interesting? Nothing even remotely close to unleashed/generations quality. In a sequel, I hope they abandon boost stages completely and make more Adventure-esque stages that retain the control of the open world.

Also, there is an absolutely terrible puzzle required to proceed to the first boss. It seems possible to get into a state where it can literally not be finished until you restart the game.

6. UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH,

I have to do that puzzle again....

7. Turbohog

Turbohog

There is already a short guide on YouTube for it here:

I highly recommend using it. I figured out the state of my puzzle became unsolvable because it literally had a different beginning state than the video.

Some combat thoughts: it's decent, but not really what I look for in a Sonic game. It devolves into button mashing for me - especially with Super Sonic. I like the cyloop in combat though.

More cyberspace thoughts: I really don't understand why they didn't copy paste textures from more levels. Green Hill in particular gets old extremely fast.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  8. Harper

Harper

Cyberspace has rolling physics, but only when you let go of the stick? This tweet goes into it in more detail. No spoilers in said tweet but I figured to post it here just in case. It's very odd and explains a lot of the pre-release footage we've seen when it comes to rolling in cyberspace stages.
    https://twitter.com/NexusD98/status/1589049806701621249

• List
  9. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    So uh, cosmetics? Are the cross-promotional stuff we've seen all there is to wear in the game? Are there no unlockable skins on top of that?

10. Turbohog

Turbohog

I did not unlock any cosmetics in the first island. Doesn't look like that's in the game.

Another criticism: Modern Sonic Team is embarrassingly over-reliant on springs, dash panels, zip-lines, rainbow-rings, grind rails, and balloons. There is functionally no difference between any of the islands because none of them have unique gimmicks. Having some unique gameplay differences between the islands (and the awful cyber stages) would go a long way in keeping things fresh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    My problem is I think things should be more automated than they are. Sometimes you NEED to double jump into a boost but it's over a bottomless pits while you are grinding for example.

Also the third island sucks, but I did so much fishing that all the emeralds automatically unlocked so I won't have to do any cyber stages there. I think I've only done five cyber stages total so far.

12. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    huh that's interesting... Could you eloborate on it? I'm curious if it's from Origins or original Sonic 3.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It was a screenshot of Knuckles chuckling on Angel Island right after he takes the emeralds from Sonic.

14. MastaSys

MastaSys

And since the screenshot was in widescreen and Knuckles had his player palette, safe to assume it's from headcannon's version.

15. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I find funny it's just a screenshot. Guess they still don't wanna make a classic model for knuckles lol. Are there any other interesting references?

16. I've been avoiding this thread in general, because I want to go in as blind as possible, but I did accidentally see a video on Twitter of Sonic boosting into an angled piece of geometry in the open world and being sent absolutely flying across the map. It reminded me a lot of SA1, where you could get a ridiculous amount of airtime with the spindash. I had loads of fun as a kid spindashing like a maniac and skipping chunks of the levels. I hope they don't patch the physics to 'fix' them - keep 'em busted. It's more fun that way lol

17. Harper

Harper

Tails references his past adventures and it shows screenshots of SA1 and Forces.

18. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    That's overthinking it. They just wanted to reference the Classic game with a screenshot. Classic Sonic's head sprite shows up in a few places as a "health bar" for a few specific challenges too.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Seems like this story is going out of its way to tear down all previous universe walls and dump them all back into one, more cohesive yet chronologically confusing universe. Bout time.

Flynn once again cleaning up the messes he was given, only this time it was Sega’s mess and not Archie’s/Penders’

20. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    People likely won't give them it, but Sonic Team should get more credit for how they conveyed the story as well.

I remember people skeptical about how Sonic Team will put the penned paper into the digital video game environment, but the character animation*, expression, and framing also does a lot to make the writing work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.