don't click here

Which theme song do you associate with Sonic (the character) the most?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Oct 31, 2022.

Which theme song do you associate with Sonic (the character) the most?

1. Sonic 1 Title Theme

2. It Doesn't Matter (SA1)

3. It Doesn't Matter (SA2)

4. His World

5. Reach for the Stars

6. Other/I don't associate any theme song with Sonic

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I agree. I think the cinematic that plays alongside the song is driving his interpretation. Taken in a vacuum, it just sounds like a reflection on the protagonist’s struggles in his journey.

It’s not like the lyrics were, “You’re losing speed, you’re losing your flow, Eggman turned you into a fucking Werehog bro.”

2. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    The line "You're losing speed, you're losing your flow" is literally about the Werehog transformation. Why do you think they use Werehog imagery when that part comes up in all of Unleashed's trailers or at the symphony? What could it be referencing otherwise? Come on, you can interpret it a certain way I guess, death of the author and all that, but the song was obviously written with the intention of being about the events of Unleashed.

And for the record, this extends to "Reach For The Stars" too. Even the title specifically references how Sonic is going into space.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
  3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I’m not saying that the lines in the song aren’t written for the story, but they don’t specifically reference points that can’t be attributed elsewhere - in this case, to the hero’s journey. Hardship is part of that journey, and “losing your speed, losing your flow” fits into that perfectly without, as also BlueSkies said, literally referencing the Werehog. It also fits Sonic as a character perfectly.

Also, Reach for the Stars sucks, but there’s also nothing specifically mentioning going to space or the plot of the game if I recall. In fact, it appears to have been written specifically to avoid this so that the song is about the common metaphor, which is about doing something different and difficult, and not resting on your laurels.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  4. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I always just think of the original theme used in Sonic 1 and 2. It felt both cute and sassy to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. cartridgeculture

cartridgeculture

Wiki Contributor Member
    TOOT TOOT SONIC WARRIOR

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

As much as I love Endless Possibility, I've always found the reflective nature of some of the lyrics to be a bit unsuited to Sonic himself. Lines like "So please wake up when I get there, it feels like I'm lost in a dream" make Sonic sound so unsure of himself. Sonic's not a particularly reflective and deep-thinking kind of. I'd almost say that the lyrics of Endless Possibility better suits Chip and his journey through the course of Unleashed. The song as a whole has a very slight melancholic tone to it, implying the end of journey and overcoming great personal adversity. It's definitely not melancholy, but there are a few times of it throughout and that's not really Sonic.

I have the same issues, albeit to a lesser extent, with the SA1 version of It Doesn't Matter. And it's quite heavy rock to boot. It's so intense for Sonic. The SA2 version though? That sounds befitting of the light-hearted, fun-loving nature the Sonic has, whilst also not forgetting that he's always trying to do the right thing. It hits all the right notes. So yeah, I think that gets my vote.

Then there's His World. It's weird that the game uses it more as a motif for the game in general, rather than just got Sonic. Where the Adventure games would use motifs specific to each character in relevant cutscenes, 06 elected to just use His World everywhere. You don't hear one note of All Hail Shadow or Dreams of an Absolution (the best original vocal song in the series, FTR) outside of their respective credits rolls. When I think of His World, I think of either Solaris Phase 2 or the final cutscene of Shadows story where Team Dark launch a film assault on Mephiles. I never think. Of Sonic unless its just the lyrics. That aside, I do think it's an absolute banger. It's powerful and suitably epic. Maybe it's not the best theme for Sonic himself, but it is great for what the game was supposed to be.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  7. _Sidle

_Sidle

All Hail Shadow is definitely used to back him at least twice [+][+] but I don't think Dreams of an Absolution is heard anywhere other than itself. Strangely, there is a motif associated with Silver and Blaze [+][+][+] but it doesn't seem to come from DoaA as far as I can tell.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    When I think of themes Sonic has the first ones I think about are either title screens from the classic games or the Sonic Appears from 06’s intro. I feel it just fits his snarky and heroic personality. So I voted for His World cause it’s close enough

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I was definitely misremembering the Shadow scenes you mentioned as being His World. But still, AHS isn't used much. I'd expect to hear it, for example, during his intro scene or when he saved Sonic from Silver. The adventure games were very ham-fisted about suddenly playing the motifs of characters whenever they appeared, but 06 doesn't do it enough.

10. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    AHS isn't used until towards the end because that's when he reaffirms his morality as a hero after some bullshit with Mephiles.

DoaA actually can be heard in those motifs mentioned. It's the "Cause every night I will make it right" part. @0:09

It lines up with the instrumental version moreso than the vocals.

11. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Honestly, the main Sonic Adventure themes (1 or 2) come to mind for me, even though they're not intended as themes for him specifically. But that could also be because I've been replaying those games recently.

The game franchise has changed music and musical styles so much, it's very difficult to pick just one. They're all so game specific. And even the character himself has changed overtime.

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I chose SA2's Sonic theme because it feels the most like Sonic's character to me. It's rock, but it's casual rock. Like a good guy, but not necessarily a pillar of morality; just having fun whatever happens.

My second pick would probably be Sonic Boom. I guess I think pop/rock with a kickin' electric guitar feels more Sonic than straight rock to me. That said, His World may be my favorite Sonic theme of all time. It doesn't feel so much like Sonic to me, but it's just legit a great song, and Solaris Phase 2 is amazing.

13. Felik

Felik

No Endless Possibilities? Come on now!
    To me it is THE Sonic (the character) theme. It's perfect

14. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

For Sonic as a whole, It's the Sonic 1 theme. More specifically the invincibility Sonic 2 Super Sonic themes.

For the character specifically, it would be "It Doesn't Matter". Either version really, though I feel the SA2 version reflects Sonic's personality and energu better than the SA1 version imo.

My man

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Cosmic Eternity!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Cosmic Eternity makes me think more of Amy for whatever reason.

17. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    The credits theme to Sonic 1.

18. Dissident

Dissident

Sami Member
    I was surprised how unpopular of a choice it seems to be, lol. I agree completely.

"Kickin' ass fast, puttin' on a show" is just so Sonic to me.

19. Dr Öl

Dr Öl

Sweden
    It Doesn't Matter (SA2) since it is that game I grew up with the most.

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k

:colbert:

Serious answer: