don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Felik

Felik

That prequel animation was absolutely beautiful. Writing, visuals, music, everything was top notch. Tyson Hesse and everyone involved did a great job.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I just noticed this is the second time Tee Lopes has used his unique motif for Frontiers. When Asura appears, you can hear that 3-2-4-5 progression from the game's announcement trailer. I know he said this was exclusively for the trailer, but I really hope that music appears in the game somewhere.

3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    After watching that prologue, I'm not sure Sonic will be the only playable character this time, and, if he isn't, I wouldn't rule out a future DLC: Knuckles is much more fitting for the combat gameplay and wouldn't be out of place doing the other stuff Sonic does, except maybe dropdash but there's where the gliding can go in, and the game already has climbing. In fact, I think this game's quite adequate for character DLCs and mission packs, or they could always pull a BOTW2 and make another game on the same islands to expand even more on the lore they introduce here.

And I'll be cursing while others will be blasting through it in a week because it's the first time since I can't remember that I want to play the new Sonic game ASAP and I can't because I have no device that can run it and no money to solve that. I'm always broke so the only surprise is wanting the game so badly, because I usually can wait, but it hurts. At least that will prevent me having no life because that's the kind of game I spent weeks playing non-stop.

The origins of the Chaos Emeralds... I don't mind having an origin for them, but I probably won't like the one they give here. Later, will we have Ouranos Diamonds? We already have Kronos Stones on some little planet...

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

Lol do you really think they would include another playable character and not advertise it?

5. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    So what can I say that hasn't been said about the animation? It was super good, and it honestly left me both excited and intrigued of just how will the story unfold in the actual game.

Also, a fun little side-note, but I've been looking through my older posts and I stumbled upon this one that I made on another thread 5 years ago:
    Guess Sonic Team has been listening to me this whole time :V

But anyways, yeah, just one week before this game finally releases! So I'm gonna share some final words:

Everyone's talkin about problems that REALLY aren't there. Frontiers is gonna be a legitimate GOOD game. To average gamers it'll be a decent, fun, playable video game. To Sonic Adventure fans it's gonna be the second coming of Christ. If November 8th proves me wrong and this game is terrible then sega can eat my shit and shit out my shit and then eat THEIR shit which is made up of MY shit that I made them eat.

+ - don't take that last bit seriously. bonus if you know what i'm referencing  

6. Harper

Harper

Unfortunately, this is an edit. Here's the original shot.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 11
    • List
  7. Oh fuck, really? I swear it was real. If that is the case, then I'm sorry about that.

8. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    RIP. I really hoped it was real, but I guess it does make more sense for it to be an edit even though that's laaaame.

9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Partially. I don't think it's playable right now, but that the game's been made with that in mind, even if it didn't make it in time for release. They've been so secretive with the plot and some other stuff that I don't think they would advertise Knux if he's hard to unlock and not an automatic "free this character in-game to play as him", anyway, but I find plausible they wanted to add more characters to this game but had the common sense this time to perfect Sonic's gameplay before adding anyone else; they've done a harder work for it than what would require the simplest implementation of Knux using Sonic as a base (the simplest, not the best one).

10. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Knuckles would be a fun unlock or DLC or something, although I can't help but wonder how that could possibly be implemented, considering the world is designed with Sonic's super speed in mind and it'd be a slog to traverse at a speed more akin to a regular action hero with Knux. It would be really fun to do in a specially designed open world though, which is what SA2 did, and it worked really well, but I feel like that's getting outside of the scope of a DLC.

I dunno, it's possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath:oldbie:

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    It would be kinda hard to create a whole set of moves for a new character. It's not like adding Mighty and Ray in Mania.

12. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I always believed, ever since this game was properly revealed back in December, that a Knuckles DLC was perfect for this kind of game. It just makes sense to me, and I will be genuinely bummed if they don't actually end up making it.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So, about the short:

I don't like Knuckles' voice. Though I did like the "Ambush? Your funeral." line.

Also he said parts of the ruins belong to different echidna tribes. I found that interesting, at least, though I just assume it's a nod to Dark Brotherhood.

Animation was GOD. DAMN. BEAUTIFUL. More than usual. I wonder if more time was given than the other shorts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I for sure hope we see Tails or Knuckles in a sequel if this does well and they do this format again.

15. To JaxTH, I think it's more of an Adventure 1 nod with the Mayan/Egyptian split along with the Knuckles Clan always being referred to as a clan. Ian actually mentioned in a Bumblekast recently that was the headcanon he'd had in mind for a while and it sort of fits.

Chronicles just sort of shoehorned Echidnas into the Sonic Battle backstory. With that not being Canon anymore and with the exploration of history again, I'd love to see them actually expand on the plot finally. I'm actually half expecting dialog in Frontiers to possibly address this. They've mentioned we might be surprised.

Also, for Knuckles voice I liked it here far more than elsewhere. Kind of want more to gauge how much I really like it. Knuckles DLC like a couple have mentioned would be kind of a dream come true. Wondering if they might have that as post game content or for any mission related stuff akin to 06 or Generations. I can only dream.

16. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Yeah I thought his voice sounded a little too "dumb brute" like at times, like a tougher-but-still-slightly-derpy Big.

On the plus side, everything else about this was cool. And also, Chao. Chao everywhere. O_O

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I feel like the SA1 approach makes even more sense in the open-world idiom. The whole point of these games is that they reuse content to extend themselves, what's a little more if they just write new stories and let you play as different characters? I've been thinking for a while now that people would be a lot less upset about other characters if you just made them play identical to Sonic. Sure, it sucks if we don't have entire games designed to account for flying and climbing, but I think what annoys people the most is feeling like the rest of the cast isn't being properly acknowledged or doesn't have a real presence in the game.

18. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

That animation was pretty damn good, though I like Knuckles a lot so I'm sure I'm being influenced by that.

Too bad he'll show up in a cutscene or two and maybe be an NPC you can chat up and nothing more. Crying shame, that, especially since all of the gameplay looks like it'd be much more suited to him than it is Sonic.

19. MastaSys

MastaSys

This was a good year for Knuckles, that's for sure.

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

That was some superb job by Tyson and the others! Like some said I'd love to see a whole animated series like this.

What's more, for the first time in years, Knuckles actually feels like Knuckles to me. My only gripe is that he has a "dumb brute" voice like Mecha Sally said. Thank goodness for the Japanese voices :V

Agreed. There is a difference between being a naive guy who has no experience with people, and being a total dumbass and butt monkey who fails at everything is only there as comedy relief. His old official profiles even describe him as being smart but gullible:
    And even more recent profiles circa Generations attribute his gullibility to believing the best in people, rather than being outright dumb.

It feels like S3K and SA1 to me, one of which is a classic game. SA1 was a sequel to S3K and as such shared many elements and themes in common.