don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    26:26
    - What is the origin of the time eater of sonic generations?

- Officially? No one knows. Unofficially I still headcanon that it's leftovers of Solaris. It's a time travel monster, it's got similar color themes, the final boss is a giant Iblis-esque sun flying around to the background, you'll light a bunch of old torch... I feel like it's supposed to be Solaris clippings or something.

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Sonic Frontiers Prologue: Divergence came out.

So...

Tikal is still hovering around the island, and there's an implication Chaos is also still nearby, if the water moving weirdly is any indication.

I like the implication he and Knuckles are taking shifts guarding the Master Emerald, since Knuckles doesn't leave his post until Tikal hovers nearby. Might also explain why Knuckles is able to leave the Master Emerald unguarded: he isn't. Though it conflicts with Sonic Battle... then again, anyone going for the Master Emerald probably constitutes as a "great crisis", and he didn't show himself, just bubbled the water funny for a second.

3. Kyro

Kyro

I agree, and I think its actually a perfect way to excuse knuckles absences, taking what they already have set up in some way. Chaos already was a guarfian, so it makes sense, if hes still around in some way, that he could help when Knuckles is needed elsewere.

In any case, I hope this means we will get even more lore regarding the master emerald in the full game

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I've actually suggested this as an option before, since Chaos seems to be a common enough encounter for Knuckles to know about him popping up in Sonic Battle and, while I don't consider it canon myself it was written by Sonic Team, Sonic Forces: Stress Test has him consider Chaos, the entity he would otherwise have seen wipe out a city and fight an ancient weapon with several Chaos Emeralds evenly, 'harmless', which suggests other encounters prior.

I would consider what flooded and destroyed an entire city anything but harmless, unless I got to know them more personally to confirm that.

5. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    it's cooler for knuckles to be alone though, like that's the appeal of being the last of his kind and the guardian of the emerald and stuff
    this might not be chaos either way? feel like it could be, dunno, sage from frontiers or something

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think the evidence of Chaos is pretty compelling given Tikal is still floating around.

On him being “harmless”, I’d say the idea is moreso that he’s benign towards the heroes nowadays. Clearly a capable fighter who can cause a lot of damage, but after Super Sonic pacified his heart, I’d say Knuckles knows that he (and by extension those he trusts, such as Silver) has nothing to worry about around Chaos.

Granted, that’s a roundabout way of saying the wording was executed less than optimally, but I digress. At any rate, I don’t think it breaks anything.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    But then he's abandoning the Master Emerald frequently to help Sonic and Tails, so he's either being a terrible guardian, or is subbing out when there's something off Angel Island that needs addressing.

It's implied since it's water moving in a strange manner, something we've not seen Sage do before, and it moves when Tikal, with the same sound effects and appearance as Sonic Adventure, flies past. It's basically Chaos without explicitly showing so.

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I'm not sure how I feel about Chaos/Tikal guarding the Master Emerald when Knuckles isn't around.

On the one hand, it perfectly excuses Knuckles absences.
    But on the other, the Master Emerald has been stolen multiple times after SA1. So where were Tikal/Chaos then?

(I think the explanation in Runners/Tails Tube was probably better).

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    They were looking after the Chao. Those times were on Knuckles' guard timeframe.

Though I think the only actual instance was Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic Rivals had it happen as well, but Nega stole it from the future, so Knuckles really can't be held accountable for that one.

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It also went missing in Rivals 2 in the present. + - And also Runners and Sonic Dash S, but I guess they don’t count anymore, so...   But Tikal/Chaos being distracted by caring for the Chao is a good explanation.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I mean, the same guy stole it, so I would wager he pulled the same feat. Don't fix what isn't broken and all that.

12. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    It could also be possible that Chaos and Tikal only returned to Angel Island recently. Maybe because of one of the many disasters that happened after Sonic Battle.

13. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Tikal is literally incorporal and Chaos is in it's weakest form (presumably) I don't think it'd be impossable to steal it from them

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Knuckles seems too familiar with Chaos's patterns in Sonic Battle for it to have been the first time in that instance. Between Sonic Adventure and Sonic Battle, we have:
    • Sonic Advance
    • Sonic Adventure 2
    • Sonic Advance 2
    • Sonic Heroes
    • Shadow the Hedgehog
    Those could be the prior crisis' mentioned by Knuckles where Chaos popped up.

Sonic Heroes especially, since a Chao was in danger from Metal Sonic. Honestly surprised he didn't hunt down Robotnik himself.

I mean, he's a living body of water. It's a kid-friendly series, but a body of water able to force itself into your lungs until you stop moving, after tracking you down for stealing something from it, is not something I want to steal from.

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    To be fair, we don’t really know that Chaos *can* do that. As far as I can recall, he’s either in corporeal form (which seems to be fairly dense given how consistent that form is until disrupted), or he’s a puddle, with Perfect Chaos blurring that line. Granted I’m probably taking at face value something that wasn’t meant to be much more than macabre musings, but hey it’s interesting enough that I want to go off on one about it. :V

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    It's interesting to hear Knuckles mention other Echidna clans. Also, is it me - or is he implying, that he was chosen by someone to become the guardian?

If so, maybe he knew other Echidnas and something happened to them.

Not gonna lie, I always liked the Fleetway explanation, that somehow Knuckles lived waaaay back in ancient times, and had lost his memory.

17. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    That knuckles prolouge made my brain think about sky sanctuary again, Knuckles mentions "ruins of diferent echindnan tribes and remenents of some group that came before". So was it built by the Echidna's or not? It's where he finds the cyberspace portal, but then he notes that the portal is older than the ruins. Did the group build sky sanctuary haul some random stone portal thing up there?

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic Battle shows he can extend and stab out of his puddle form, as well as leave wacky waving liquid arm flailing tentacles, so I can imagine him being able to at least shove water into someone's lungs.

Nah, I enjoy discussions like this, the possible acts of things that aren't quite solid, don't worry.

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    About this whole Knuckles leaving Angel Island, TailsTube said this:
    - Why don't you come visit us? Come on, get off that stuffy old island once in a while.
    - Hey, I live my island plenty, and it's always to help when you can't save the world on your own.

Ian in a BumbleKast suggested (headcanon) there were a rival tribe, and that's why there's Egyptian culture there (Sandopolis) even if Knuckles Tribe was Mayan.

20. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I've always been curious about sky sanctuary because it's the floating island of the floating island, and the place with a secret access inside the secret place where the whole emerald shrine was, with its own emerald altar. So, it's like the most important, representative, and sacred place of the whole island... And it's not even on the island itself, just over it! And then there's something even older there, like each civilization built over the ruins of the previous one, the civilization of each age forgetting the oldest age the previous one remembered, and so on...