don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Sonic Official just played Frontiers. They had Sonic at max everything including skills and had him wear the Soap Shoes.

They also showed off some

m o m e n t u m

But the most important thing is that they accidentally spoiled the names of the last two islands.

Rhea and Ouranos

Sonic at full power definitely fucks up the Guardians. The Squid boss went down in like fifteen seconds (and that includes catching up to it).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Hmm.. Ouranos is Greek for sky; so Sky Island?? Perhaps a reference to Angel Island??

EDIT: Actually all 5 Starfall Islands are named after Greek Gods and Goddesses…. As a Greek myself, I’m proud to have my roots represented here lol but on a serious note I’m very curious to see how each island will appear in the game.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  3. RikohZX

RikohZX

Doesn't look like the stats factor into Cyberspace whatsoever, unfortunately, so a max speed endgame Sonic is still going to be the same as a Green Hill 1-1 starting game Sonic on those levels.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    The soap shoes look godly in action.
    I really hope the codes are sent without delay because I do NOT wanna play the game without them, ever ever lol.

5. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxyOVW8heM8Oy7mLfKqadteFkAEP2RK6GL
    Here's the clip of the momentum physics in action for those that don't want to scrub through all the footage. Since this applies to rails, there's a 99.9% chance you can also do this with the drop dash.

So, you'll be able to launch off of ramps and hills for fun skips ala SA1 or a Classic game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I would expect that to be the case.

The idea that Cyber Space has a unified control and physics that you're supposed to master is a great idea, but I wish they were... better, lol.

7. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I'm sorry but that pop in is still really bad lol

8. I’ve been saying this since the reveal but the fact that Sonic stays in some weird grind pose when jumping off the rail is hideous. Just make it transition to a standard falling animation after a half second or second. It’s most visible when he demonstrates how your momentum carries when you jump and it’s just so jank looking.

Everything else has shaped up quite nicely though. Not sure if him spamming the boost instead of holding was actual tech though. He seemed too familiar with game to do it by accident. If it is, that’ll be a bit jarring considering the sonic boom effect it triggers.

9. netscapenow

netscapenow

Review embargo lifts Nov. 7

It being a day before release is a little concerning, but hey they're actually sending out review copies this time unlike Forces :V

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  10. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Forces had the same issue, and a lot of Sonic's animations in Frontiers were carried over from that game, along with his character model I believe.

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I bit the bullet and pre-ordered the game. I'm confident looking at the pre-release footage and the large amount of praise it's received from multiple sources that I've made a good decision and that I'll like the game.

I was going to get it at GameStop because I preferred their exclusive steelbook, but for some reason GameStop doesn't do in-store pickup for online pre-orders. So Best Buy it is.

I really, really hope this game does well. If it doesn't, then... I don't even know what you'd do from here.

12. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    If Frontiers is bad, we'll just do what we always do: wait for the next game to be better, naively clinging to hope where only despair exists.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. It looks similar to how you can get infinite sprint in the PS2 GTA games by mashing the button, this happens in a few other games however it doesn’t work in BOTW unless you do the whistle glitch, if mashing is really all you have to do in this game then there’s no point for the stamina system

14. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    This design decision goes back a decade to Lost World, for what it's worth. Though most rails in that game lead into terrain so it's harder to notice.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I had to check to be sure but Sonic Mania had a release embargo that was a day before release as well.

https://thisgengaming.com/2017/08/1...bargo-revealed-heres-when-reviews-are-coming/

In the same way this game is coming out on a Tuesday instead of the growing industry standard of Friday, I think this is more SEGA not updating certain policies with the time and not a lack of confidence.

16. MH MD

MH MD

Lot of big games have embargo before a day or 2 of the release, it's not a big deal, as long as there is review copies that get sent and reviewed before the game release, that's usually a good sign.

Even Elden Ring, the reviews copies themselves only sent like a week or so before release, and the reviews embargo were only 2 days before release

17. Is that not still just a Nintendo thing?

Edit: Just checked a local shop’s preorder/upcoming games list. Guess it’s not. Though I wonder if history (i.e. Sonic 2sday) plays a role in it. I checked through Sega’s recent and upcoming releases and they alternate between Fridays and Tuesdays. Soul Hackers 2, Lost Judgment, Demon Slayer, and Humankind were/are Friday releases, Super Monkey Ball, Sonic, Two Point Campus, etc., were/are Tuesday.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  18. Mana

Mana

Bandai Namco does Friday releases
    Ubisoft does Friday releases
    Sony does Friday releases
    Microsoft does Friday releases
    Capcom does Friday releases
    WB games is moving to Friday's

Why did you think this was a Nintendo only thing when several major studios have all been doing Friday releases for years now?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  19. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    The PlayStation Store updates every Tuesday. It's been that way for many years.
    Friday is a non-standard day reserved for big exclusives. Not sure why you think Sony specifically does Friday.

20. Mana

Mana

I meant major releases by them like Spiderman and Ratchet and Clank didn't realize I'd have to specify, because I named other companies that release AAA games, nor does it change the fact that Friday is still standard for more companies than less these days.