don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Trippled

Trippled

They actually come from the sound staff that usually works on arcade games. Sound staff hires for Sega games has been rare for a while now, but their successful music arcade games like Maimai, Chunithm in Japan made an increase of job openings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Very disappointing to see that Tee Lopes doesn't seem to be working on this game outside of having pitched in with the score for the reveal trailer. The man's been doing great work since he got on board with Mania and I want nothing more than to see him get his dues with the opportunity to work on a new mainline title.

3. Venom Snake

Venom Snake

USA
    The first 40 seconds of that mix is probably one of the best Sonic music pieces to come out in a while (aside from Mania's OST), that gives me absolutely pure Sonic R-type vibes and I love it

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That DJ playlist for the cyberspace stages was much greater than I thought it would be. Not huge on the first track or some of the ones in the middle, but that second, third and final track? Hoo wee that's good.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  5. So ignoring the obvious shit flinging here.

Hmmmm, I don't know how to feel about that medley. Its not bad but certainly not something I associate with Sonic.

I wonder if I'll jive with it mid game.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Cleaned up the thread a little. This is the one and only warning this thread will be given to stop shitposting and generalizing large swaths of fans with mocking posts.

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Thanks, I guess we all had kind of lost the plot there :V

I really like the new music though, I think all of it is awesome. The Cyberspace tracks aren't normally what I want from Sonic music but honestly, they're still bangers nonetheless. The Open Zone music is just glorious though. I absolutely adore the Kronos Island track that just dropped, it's absolutely amazing. I can't wait to hear what other musical styles the other islands will take on, I'm genuinely excited to hear more as I play the game. Although to be fair, it's not like there was any doubt this game's soundtrack was gonna be amazing, even Forces had it's fair share of great songs.

Also RE: the JP Cyberspace DJ mix video, it's trippy as hell and I love it. I can't believe we got burned with the shitty one here in the US. It probably would've taken more effort to translate all the text in the JP one and redo segments of the video than just throw together the US video so I guess that's why it was done. Still disappointed though.

8. The Deleter

The Deleter

Catching up on the music, it's absolutely wild to me that the Starfall Islands theme we've been hearing this entire time wasn't the theme for Kronos Island. It's basically the song I associate with the island the most at this point in time, so wrapping my head around the idea that the new track is actually the central theme is kinda wild, considering how different the atmosphere is.

In a way, it almost sounds like a climactic moment in the story itself, kind of like when you unlock a hidden area in the final act of the games that is revealing more about the mysteries themselves. There's a key part of the island from earlier trailers that seems to be missing from the current gameplay, (giant pyramid in the back of the island) so maybe we'll pass over the island more than once with music like this driving the mood?

Also I know that music tastes are different for everyone, but kinda weirded out at how the overall consensus on the tracks from what I've seen ranges from mainly good to okay. There are a few tracks in the first half that I feel fit that description, but by the time the video hit the halfway mark I had to get out of my chair and blast it at full throttle with how hard it was going, especially at the 3:49 mark. Maybe EDM just doesn't fit with Sonic's general audience that well, but I am definitely a fan of the hype lol. The immediate transition to the more somber theme and slap-bass track to close the video out ensured I'll be replaying this about as often as Ohtani's previous DJ mix for the series; that sense of flow is just too addictive.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I think it still is for Kronos Island. It's all we've been hearing in the recorded gameplay footage from convention-goers, as long as I'm not misremembering. It probably plays both.

10. The Deleter

The Deleter

I mainly remember it being used in the B-roll footage, but looking at this direct feed gameplay, it sounds like it kicks in once you reach the main island as well.

• List
  11. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    It's probably just gonna be a leitmotif throughout the entire game considering it is literally called the "Starfall Islands Theme", but the Kronos theme is obviously gonna be exclusive to Kronos. Most likely there are also themes for Ares, Chaos, and all the other islands that are yet to be revealed. Still, I doubt the only tracks that play on these islands will be the theme of the island and the Starfall track. There are likely also numerous other tracks for each island that we won't hear until we get our hands on the game. Of course this is all just speculation but that's what's most likely going on.

• Like Like x 3
    • List
  12. Part of me wants the Ares Island to sound something like this:

13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    • Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Sonic Frontiers is not even out yet and it's wanting me already to have a animated adaption of it.

This concept art looks fucking amazing, by the way.

15. I hope we get platforming that goes hard too because most of what we’ve seen so far has looked pretty flaccid to me.

16. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    New super form. C'monnnn Sonic Team. You gotta do it.

17. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I honestly think it would be cool if they added a new Super form and made it a recurring thing. I'm not super thrilled about new forms in general, but if they are gonna add something akin to Hyper Sonic or Dark Sonic, I'd rather have it be a recurring thing vs. a one-off like the Storybook forms and 3K Hyper Sonic.

On a different note, do we have any idea what the last 2 islands could be like? I've seen people predict that the island in the blue vinyl cover could be either a water or snow island, or it's just a generic image of Cyberspace. But even then, there's a whole other island. I've thought about the possibility of it being an "industrial" island, but that seems unlikely because Eggman is allegedly a prisoner of the islands, and he's the guy who normally does the whole industrializing thing. Some kind of jungle island could be cool, or maybe a Lost World type of situation where Sonic finds an ancient city based on those rock structures.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I’m filing a class action with Penders and all the other Dark Sonic’s I need my 20 cents of creativity acknowledged Sega.

19. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Of course the fourth is a snowy/icy area, it's the only way you have to put a water theme above the water surface, and the last will be the central control of Sage/the AI, so absolutely metal/sci-fi. Again, same as NGS, and same as any generic theme. Also, Kronos doubles for air/wood elements, so the fifth should be metal to mimic the Wu Xing.

Alternatively, they could go mystic and have the last one be of the "holy" element, but, if I had to choose and alternative final element, they'll probably would go for "void" (as in outer-space, the place is called Starfall Islands), so you'd get something related to meteorites or still go sci-fi/metal out in the black.

20. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    [​IMG]

I'm betting on a Cyber Space-themed island myself.