don't click here

Obscure, irrelevant things you find odd in Sonic games

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, May 16, 2022.

1. Yikes, that is some derp right there. The eyes seem to be a problem when using 3D renders for still shots. Goes all the way back to Flickies’ Island. [​IMG]

2. E107- Theta

E107- Theta

Texas
    now that i see it. it does make sense. he got weird eyes

3. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    For some bizarre reason, Sonic's default model state in Flickies' Island had him wall eyed. You can see this in the cutscenes where he's just staring...
    MENACINGLY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. E107- Theta

E107- Theta

Texas
    i actually kinda love this saturn sonic model

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That's actually the Mega Drive version =P

6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Werehog's in-game model looks significantly better than any of his CG renders for some reason. Maybe it's the better fur shader?

IDK, it's just always been kind of strange to me considering it's almost always the other way around in games.

7. I think it’s probably the lighting. The in-game pic def looks nice but the render is on a white background completely divorced from any environmental context and has light shining directly at the model.

I think if you stuck the render in the game engine, it’d look as good. Though, is the render model actually that different? Sonic Unleashed went balls to the wall with their models in terms of poly counts. The only obvious difference that stands out to me here is the wrist fur… which always messed with my eyes lol. It’s the weirdest effect I’ve seen on hair in a game.

8. ezra

ezra

or "Fuzzy" Member
    Why is Tails doing laps on Sonic 3's title screen? I'm no pilot, so I wouldn't have a clue.
    upload_2022-10-18_17-7-14.png
    upload_2022-10-18_17-8-12.png

9. Prototype

Prototype

The Megadrive dithered render, sure. But I'm fairly certain that the actual derp-eyed models were the same. Surprised they didn't edit the eye pixels in the cutscenes considering that they got rid of derp-Sonic from the menu screen.

That being said, was it a newly made 3D model or did Traveller's Tales use the Sonic 3/S&K model as a base?

10. [​IMG]

Sonic having his name on the bottom of his shoe soles in Sonic Adventure is very obscure and a bit odd. Especially since Yuji Uekawa's adventure-era artwork only depicts Sonic with a simple tread design on the soles. I also like that they just horizontally flipped the texture on his right shoe, so his name is backwards.

11. Chimes

Chimes

I didn't even know Sonic had shoe sole textures, so this was a double whammy to me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  12. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Imagine being so full of yourself you put your name on your shoe soles

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

• When the Egg Robo in Knuckles' story in S3K gets destroyed before the final boss, no animal comes out, implying that this one was killed by Mecha Sonic.
      Either that, or it was an oversight :V
    • The spear trap thingie in Labyrinth Zone is overdesigned. Realistically, it should be impossibly for it to retract into its hole all the way due to the prongs near its end.
      [​IMG]
    • Next to echidnas and humans, the most commonly depicted beings in ancient ruins' imagery appear to be birds. Among other examples, the totem poles in the Aquatic Ruin Zone boss are made up of stone birds, and the walls in Labyrinth Zone seem to have engravings of owl-like faces and stylized birds. The ancient Babylonians were also implied to be birds. This all suggest that like echidnas, birds were a powerful and prominent race in the distant past.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2022
  14. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Is this in Adventure or just DX?

15. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
  16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    That's the DX texture of the Light Speed Shoes, just for future reference. Personally, the new bottoms are the only improvement they actually made to the shoes. The original texture has these weirdly beveled half-circle and trapezoids at the front and back. Although the texture then has the obvious "8" shape instead of just having the base color mapped across the whole shoe bottom so it actually looks like a part of the model.
    Although, does it actually say "Sonic", or anything, really? It kind of feels like it's just some scribbles to give the illusion of text, and I've always preferred the idea that it says "Light Speed" or something, like a brand name. It'd be a little weird if they did say Sonic and they're plopped into a sewer. If I were doing a remake, I'd at least make it a gift in a mission given by one of the people in Station Square.
    Can you tell I think about these specific shoes a lot?

17. I went through each while researching my MSc. thesis last year and it seemed like whatever franchise was launched or had a “big year” gets put on in most cases. Odd that they went with the classic designs though.

18. Chimes

Chimes

I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge here, but I love the unique version of the bars of stage themes in the Genesis trilogy's credits themes. Some themes sound a bit different compared to their in-game counterpart. If I had more knowledge, I would make extended versions of those bars.
    (1:27)
    (0:22)
    (1:38)
    (0:02)

19. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Have you considered that the prongs too could be retractable, pushed out by a spring mechanism inside the pole? The backsides are curved, so it would smoothly push them back in when running along the rim of the base opening.

But yeah, they probably just didn't think about it lol.

20. Super obvious one but Rollers are technically the first Metal Sonics and everyone sleeps on this fact lol