don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Considering the drop dash with roll physics exist, my bets are that one of them gives you the spin dash. Could easily be wrong but the left trigger is conspicuously empty and it'd make a lot of sense.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Heads up, Brits. Amazon UK and GAME are both offering different steelbooks. Both of the steelbooks are available from different retailers in the US.

Amazon has the more basic art, with the runes featured in the very first teaser. You'll need to order their "exclusive" day 1 exclusive to get it, although this exclusive edition is a bit of a lie as its just the game with the steelbook bundled in for an extra tenner.
    [​IMG]

GAME meanwhile has the more interesting option that looks like the Japanese boxart, only this version sees Sonic looking back at the camera instead of ahead. It comes with all pre-orders, whilst stocks least.
    [​IMG]

Neither are particularly amazing pre-order bonuses/special editions, but they're both nice enough for what they are. Although I still don't really get the point of steelbooks... Why are they so trendy? I was really hoping that Frontiers would get the Generations Collector's Edition treatment. That package was fantastic. Not even the superior Japanese special edition comes close.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  3. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    so in terms of a single data point, FFXIV has had a Rathalos raid for years that hasn't gone away or been retired yet unlike other collabs (YoKai Watch, Garo, even other Square Enix properties like Dragon Quest were all limited-time things). The only other collab that hasn't and won't leave is the Nier ones as well. So MH collabs, at least in this case, tend to have longevity, implying that Capcom have some pretty sweet licensing terms.

4. I despise steel book editions that replace the regular case (e.g. Yakuza Kiwami 2, P5R, Catherine Full Body). It just ruins how a game fits into and looks on a shelf. I bought the aforementioned ones before I really gave a shit about collecting and now I just want to replace them.

When they are preorder bonuses like these Frontiers ones or Shenmue 3’s, it’s better, but what’s the point? I just end up keeping it someplace separate from the game.

Don’t make items for collectors if they ruin collections, game companies. Flimsy slip cases, steel books, etc.

5. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I mentioned this a while back, but according to Sonic News Network, the left trigger alone is so far used for the Sonic Boom attack, the one that shoots proyectiles by kicking into the air like a maniac :V

EDIT: Also, according to said wiki, the Bounce Attack and the Jump Stomp are indeed separate moves, the former now called "Grand Slam".

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. charcoal

charcoal

7. Snowbound

Snowbound

Maybe on the ground the left trigger is used to spindash and midair is used for the Sonic Boom.

8. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    A combat overview trailer is available, albeit unlisted.

EDIT: It's private now so we weren't supposed to see it early lmao.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Where, or rather how, did you find this? Appears to be private now.

10. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Apparently it was on the channel's Playlist. I found it on Twitter but reportedly Fadel / OnTheDownLow (I think that's his handle) found it first.

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Besides explaining the combat and skill system, the trailer has clean footage of some of the bosses and shows us what the pre-order cosmetics are (brown gloves and boots).

13. charcoal

charcoal

Pretty awesome trailer, I really liked the new background music. I really hope they unprivate this, it's a really good explanation of the combat that I'm sure the more casual fans who aren't paying attention to all the leaks will appreciate. "The most formidable force in the Frontier" is such a cheesy line, I love it ahaha

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I’m sure they will I imagine this will probably drop in the next few days

15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think that trailer looks great. Astonishing how much better the game looks now compared to when it was first revealed. Thinking I might preorder it now.

16. jubbalub

jubbalub

It's incredible how much better this game looks when it's not marketed like a nature documentary.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I didn't notice it at first, but the Combat Trailer has a new track and it sounds amazing??

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. I wonder how the special attacks/skill tree upgrades are triggered. Are they each tied to their own button or will there be inputs like in DMC/Bayonetta/etc.? It looks like the Phantom Rush is automatic, Sonic Boom is tied to a button, but I’m not sure about Wild Rush. I hope it’s not just a automatic string ender. I’m not expecting a Platinum action game, but a little deeper than a Musou game would be nice (this is coming from a pretty big Musou fan lol).

Thinking about it, I really wouldn’t mind if they went full-on Eggman May Cry for a sequel. A highly skill-based combat system like DMC or Bayonetta combined with fast platforming could be pretty cool. Making the combat deep enough that it’s intrinsically rewarding and having extrinsic motivators like skills could rectify the issue of enemies being fodder or just running around them. You can separate combat skill upgrades from platforming upgrades and award XP for platforming challenges as well so non-interested players can still have a satisfying experience and rewards for progression.

You know, or Mania 2 and SA3 :V

19. charcoal

charcoal

already exists :P

20. jubbalub

jubbalub

upload_2022-10-12_18-59-15.png

Yep that was definitely a whoopsie

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1