don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    It's so strange that this game is almost out. It will be in our hands in about a month's time.

This game should be used as an example of how marketing can make or break the public's perception of a game, and what a huge turnaround it experienced in such a short amount of time. What a basket case.

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

Don't forget we have things like Big's fishing as minigames to find, potential areas to chat with characters as the game progresses, and presumably either a lot of crap to find or some sort of endgame/postgame if Iizuka really does think 100% completion will outright double the playtime.

I expect a lot of Cyberspace stages but that's maybe a fourth to a third of the soundtrack on my guesswork. A huge estimate either way, but that's just how many I expect. Meanwhile with how screwy all the audio we've gotten is and with Sega removing most proper music from their own videos, we have no idea how dynamic or flat the music is while exploring besides what people can loosely hear at loud expo booths.

3. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah, there's a lot of music here but I'd say it's to be expected since it's an open world game.

What I'm wondering is if all the cyberspace stages will have unique themes or if we'll get one track per level theme (does anyone having played the demo commented on that yet? I know there's 2 green hills and 2 sky sanctuaries at the very least, but no one talked about the music I think)

Also, game releases in a month and we haven't gotten any music upload on the main channel, save for the 2 main themes.
    I think it's fair to say they're not doing it this time, but...why? It was the highlight of Mania/Forces/TSR's marketing, I don't get why they would just up and stop doing it.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

And what a 10/10 track that was. I'd absolutely love to see him return to the series. His only other series credits come from the M&S Olympics I think, and even then they're just the standard event tracks. Wasted potential right there.

I'd like to know who else is working on the music besides Ohtani. Senoue no longer takes a very active role in developing Sonic soundtracks. He drops in here and there, but I'd love to see him in the directorial role again, although I'll happily admit that Frontiers is much more suited to Ohatani's talents. It's just that TSR's soundtrack was one of the best in the series history and sounded like SA3 half the time. It was glorious.

5. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Agreed 100%, and I hope the person that decided it was a good idea to not let you listen to it during Time Attack is having a particularly awful day today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    In related soundtrack news, a Samsung SSD commercial featuring the game apparently plays a track that plays in a Cyber Space zone.

With how big the soundtrack is, and with every guardian having its own track too, I'm pretty sure every stage will have its own music.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. Circlestar

Circlestar

SS Rank Tricks! Member
    Darn, you beat me to it haha
    Do we know who is working on the soundtrack? That track in particular sounds like it would have come from PSO2 New Genesis, specifically it reminds me of this.
    Hideaki Kobayashi has composed a lot for Phantasy Star but also various Sonic games.

Edit: also the 6 second version uses the "Sky Sanctuary" music too:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Every backdrop, maybe. Every single cyber level? Would be an enormous waste of effort given that most of them end barely a minute in.

9. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    If this is like some of the older OSTs, we can also likely expect some I'm Here remixes from low profile EDM producers or something. I have no doubt this game will have a LOT of unique tracks given how many boss encounters there are... plus it's an open world game so it's just a given. But yeah... padding incoming.

10. RDNexus

RDNexus

With only one month left until the game releases, I can only guess no more new trailers or intel may come up.
    Even with another demo phase coming up soon, I don't think anything more may get discovered or unveiled.

11. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    We’ll probably get a few TV ads and maybe one trailer at most, they clearly want us to discover the game by ourselves. Can’t wait to play the game, though.

12. Taylor

Taylor

The "Vandalize" song has me wondering about the game's plot. Makes me think the game will culminate in a betrayal, but who? Sage is presented as a villain...I don't think it could be her.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Could be. I noticed that the GHZ music we've heard seems to loop about a minute and a half in, so we might be getting a lot of shorter tracks for those.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. Lambda

Lambda

Vandalize wasn't written for Sonic Frontiers; it's being licensed for the end credits, so I wouldn't expect much in the way of hidden plot details in the lyrics.

It's probably just a song that roughly fit the overall tone of the game enough for them to choose it.

15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    is that Jun'ichi Kanemaru narrating this ad? sounds like him

16. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Good ears

https://twitter.com/junichisonic/status/1578407066925817856?t=HTfcYEGale2DpqmDSDl9Yg&s=19

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Sorry, I know it's off-topic, but I don't get so much excitement about TSR's OST, not about that particular track you mentioned either. I listened to it once and only once: it was bloated with a lot of jingles that sounded like main tracks, most of those main tracks weren't new, just remixes which didn't sound different enough, and the main theme made me thankful Crush-40 isn't the norm anymore. There were a handful of tracks I enjoyed, but I don't knew which ones in such a sea of tracks.

Oh, yes, Frontiers: I don't want to have TechnOhtani back either. I'm ok with any other incarnation of himself, but not that one. I want 80s/90s music back, not because that sounds like Sonic, but because these days almost everything sounds safe or in need of more music lessons.

18. That track from the ad spot sounded pretty Forces-esque. Honestly, I don’t mind the soundtrack for the avatar stages there so it’s good for me.

To Xiao, can I ask what particular sound you want when you say 80s/90s? Is it just the new jack swing style electronic music you want? The Crush 40 intro song for TSR is also not to my taste btw. As someone who composes though I have to give Senoue-San a pass lol.

19. Same here, really not fond of this new synth heavy direction Ohtani's been going for. Forces doesn't sound too bad but being so synth heavy vs previous games having a nice diversity of instruments is really jarring. Glad Frontiers is back to using a greater variety of instruments in its OST again and at least the synths in Cyberspace is justified (more "natural" sounding music in the open zone vs "artificial" music in Cyberspace).

20. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the synth-y music style that Frontiers is going for with Cyberspace, but at the very least the tunes themselves are really good so far. Not really a deal breaker for this OST though, and regardless of style there'll definitely be many bangers in there, but personally, I wish they would go back to the more guitar heavy style of something like SA2.
    And to be fair, that's about the average looping time for a Sonic song. Rooftop Run Day loops at 1:20, Green Forest loops at 0:59, Planet Wisp loops at 0:55, and Lost Valley loops at 1:13. Those are just the ones that came to my mind when I thought "Modern Sonic stage music" but you get the picture.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022