don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I did not know any of that information. I'm surprised I never noticed Tails could not push certain objects in the game that Sonic could push.

Imagine if Tails was programmed to intentionally make life a nightmare for Sonic? That would be a funny idea for a hard mode rom hack.

Sounds like something worth testing out.

2. _Sidle

_Sidle

Some tests on Mania...
    • 2P doesn't flip on the lift if 1P is inside it. In campaign, If both players are working together in the same direction, the lift takes into account the two of them and speeds up. If both players are fighting in different directions, 2P is ignored entirely and 1P controls it as if they were solo. Whether 2P is AI controlled or human controlled does not matter.
    • Competition mode doesn't have Lava Reef in the roster normally, but you can simply Dev Menu there. Under these conditions, each player can equally effect the elevator, even when fighting in different directions (so without anyone mashing it stays still).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. I was reading the Japanese Wikipedia entry for Sonic for some reason the other day and noticed that echidnas are called はりもぐら/harimogura which can be broken down into “needle-mole” much like how hedgehog is “needle-mouse.” I always wondered why Knuckles was referred to as a mole in certain media, particularly the OVA, and thought this is probably the explanation. Not sure if anyone has pointed this out before, but I was glad to learn it. I always figured the English dub using “mole” was a mistake, but Sera does call Knuckles “mogura-chan” in Japanese as well which I interpreted as the character’s mistake and not an actual statement on his identity but it still irked me. Now it looks like it was just a shorter, cutesy way for her to refer to him like someone calling their guinea pig a piggy or something.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    ...this also explains the whole digging ability they gave him in the Adventure titles onward, come to think of it.

5. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    also worth checking is the concept art in sonic origins that reveals that knuckles was conceptualized as a mole, and most of his final traits come from that phase

6. Linkabel

Linkabel

[​IMG]

Echidnas are also known for their digging to find eat ants/termites, resting and protection.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. You mean this one?

[​IMG]

He is referred to as “針もぐら,” meaning echidna but written with kanji instead of はり. The others call him “Stealth (Temporary)” and “rival.”

Do you have a link to one where it just says, “もぐら?” Otherwise I’m beginning to think he was never a mole and this is just another Mr. Needlemouse thing where people with limited knowledge of Japanese sort of half-translated something.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

FWIW, the Japanese Sonic 3 manual says:
    "His hobby is digging holes, of course. He is a mole, after all."

Which has made me long wonder if Sonic Team viewed echidnas as a type of mole due to them being called "needle-moles" in Japan as mentioned. The fact those early Knuckles sketches call him an echidna yet depict him with sterotypical cartoon mole gear supports that.

Come to think, there was something similar in Pokemon. Cyndaquil is based on hedgehogs, yet it's labeled as a mouse by the Pokedex, which could be due to the "needle-mouse" thing.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    • List
  9. This is also what I’m thinking. Echidnas have spines and can go into a ball, moles don’t. It’s more likely his “mole-ishness” comes from the Japanese word for echidna rather than him originally being a mole.

10. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    You got it wrong, he's a mole infiltrated in eggman's lines, and he's just posing in level transitions without really harming Sonic's progress, just making it look like that so Eggman believes him. Eggman was the gullible one, after all. :V

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I wonder if the "needle-mouse" thing plays into Erazor Djinn calling Sonic a rat?

12. I doubt it. It’s just a way to insult a little animal. Before I grew to love them, I would try to annoy my girlfriend by referring to our guinea pigs as rats or hamsters.

I will also add that I ran into a hedgehog on the street the other day and in the dark, I thought it was a rat at first lol. Seeing a little animal’s silhouette scurrying along the sidewalk does make you immediately think “rat.”

13. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Tosta Rica cookies here are currently on a Sonic The hedgehog campaign, which means Sonic pictures on them. There are two sets, standard and mini sizes so I made a great sacrifice *omnomnom* and bought a box of each *omnomnom*. I'm scanning cookies (I never thought I would say or do that) as I find new pictures, but the full gallery may not appear in a single box, so maybe I'll have to make another sacrifice *omnomnom* and buy more boxes of cookies I liked since I was a kid *omnomnomnom*.

I dont know where or how I'd put this on the wiki, so I'll post here the scans of both cookies and boxes once I think I'm done. The big ones have some icons and can be used like they were cards, with the game rules in their box, while the mini ones have a "find the differences" game on the back of the box. Nothing big, but you'll be able to print my scans and play if you wish. :thumbsup:

14. Gryson

Gryson

It's more complicated. The word for mole in Japanese is basically "digger" (moguru = to dig, mogura = mole).

So imagine in English that we have an animal "digger" and a completely unrelated animal "needle digger." It's not unreasonable for someone to refer to the needle digger by saying "His hobby is digging holes, of course. He is a digger, after all." That doesn't necessarily imply that they think the needle digger is a type of digger. They're just abbreviating the name to highlight the digging aspect.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

From tonight's edition of Richard Osman's House of Games.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    El Back.
    :shobon:

17. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  18. Pengi

Pengi

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. _Sidle

_Sidle

Here's some in-game depictions of that 2011 tomfoolery
    (captured frame right before getting hit on both, launching a peel-out from the higher platform)

upload_2022-10-8_22-23-58.png upload_2022-10-8_22-24-42.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Thanks. The previous post and associated tweet explained absolutely nothing. It's just a small oversight, one of many that likely would have been addressed in patches and/or Origins if SEGA actually cared.