don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Does it? Most cartoons and comic strips, even those with ongoing stories, don't progress in time that often and many of my favorites like Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, Spongebob, The Simpsons, South Park, and Rick and Morty all benefited from this and any issues they have aren't with the characters not aging, just them being past their prime now.

I don't think its an issue unless the narrative brings it to attention. The fact that Calvin will still be a 6 year old kid giving his parents and Suzie headaches while he discusses philosophical ideas with his Stuffed Pet Tiger long after I'm no longer around is comforting for me, even.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The change is actually to avoid the major plot hole of the characters being alive at well past their animals’ average lifespans

3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Charmy should've died years ago then

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    We haven’t seen him since Generations, right? I sure hope he’s dead.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah he was in Forces, but given how useless he and everyone else was in that game yea it’s not surprising you forgot that.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    He’s also had a decent bit of page time devoted to him over in IDW.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Damn. Disappointing. I was hoping he had died of an LSD overdose just like his stupid best friend did in archie.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  8. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  9. charcoal

charcoal

Awesome! It’s a little lame it’s locked behind a newsletter but honestly I don’t care. Soap shoes are cool as shit regardless and I’ll be equipping them the second I can.

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
  11. charcoal

charcoal

upload_2022-10-3_16-53-10.png
    Thought this was a funny tweet.

Jokes aside though, he does make a point. It sucks that this is seemingly a limited time promotion. I really hope that when it ends this'll either be, 1. Put in the game as an unlock, 2. Be deluxe edition content, or 3. Be a $5 DLC along with maybe some other stuff. Many many fans love the soap shoes and it sucks that some might not be able to get such an iconic piece of gear.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  12. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Definitely seems like the kind of thing that will be touted as "limited time", only to be made available later anyway.

13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Yeah I agree that's pretty lame, hopefully there's some way for everyone else to get them. I'm happy we're getting them at all though, this is so much better than colored gloves. I'm kind of excited to see all the different cosmetics we'll be getting, I wasn't a big fan of Blind Squirrel's stuff in Sonic Colors, but so far this + the Korone stuff actually looks worth getting. Not sure if we can even get our hands on the Korone stuff, tbh I never checked how to get it. Still tho... really hoping the other cosmetics are worth unlocking. I'll probably do the first playthrough as SA2 Sonic anyway

14. RikohZX

RikohZX

There's enough time and leniency over then next three months for most North Americans to get their hands on the newsletter sub at least, but yeah, this whole limited-time exclusivity approach is weird. Not to mention a regional exclusive.

Would've been better as an in-game unlock naturally since we know the Korone content reveal in Japan meant there'd be customization options.

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    So what does Europe get? Special Rankles the Otter DLC? :v

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I mean. This game is already releasing on PC. It was always going to have been modded in from Forces even if they weren't in the game to begin with. This is ultimately a pretty small thing, I actually think it'd be wrong to charge for it in the first place, even with other cosmetics, in no small part because everyone knows that changing Sonic's appearance is the #1 thing that is modded in every 3D Sonic game.

Frankly, what I'm really wondering at this point is whether these shoes and gloves are the only cosmetics in the game, just for promotions and such. Because if so, that seems like a big missed opportunity. Forces was an entire game full of cosmetics, all of which would fit perfectly fine on Sonic's model. Given that this is a big open-world game, it would make perfect sense for them to be the reward for finding secrets and the like, and not even really take much in terms of dev time.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It will not.

Sega has already done this with Super Monkey Banana Mania which also had a cosmetic DLC (the "Headwear" DLC) through a newsletter sign up.

18. charcoal

charcoal

I really hope the cosmetics are more than just gloves and shoes. I’d kill to put on something like the Riders sunglasses, the SatAM backpack, or even something wholly new. Mario Odysseys in-depth customization was a highlight for me and that but with Sonic sounds awesome.

19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    OH MY FUCKING GOD YESSSSS
    Just when I thought the game couldn't get any more hype they pull shit like this lmao, phenomenal
    I'm of the opinion that the soap shoes should've been a permanent redesign for modern sonic, since they fit him so well, so to actually see them again feel so surreal to me*...here's hoping they becomes a mainstay for future games as a customisation option!

Although I'm reading they're exclusive to the US, as a newsletter bonus anyway? I don't think even sega would be dumb enough to do something like that, I'm guessing the reward will be the same for the other regions or we'll get a different way of obtaining them.
    I really wouldn't mind paying for them lol, I love them THAT much

*(I know they were in Forces, but not for Sonic. Talk about missing the point Sega c'mon)