don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The biggest question is how they got footage of the opening cutscene; all of the demo builds seem to start right after the Green Hill level, and the only reason we have footage of that is because you can replay the level via the throne.

EDIT: The video description says this is from EGX??? Crazy.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  2. The Deleter

The Deleter

On a less spoilertastic note, the main thing that I was originally going to post the video for was the footage of the 2D Cyberspace stage. Apparently boost Sonic builds momentum when going downhill and through loops, to the point where he reaches almost twice his regular running speed in the stage at one point. I had a hunch that the boost was more dynamic in this game, but considering I started watching this barely awake, hoping for something interesting to wake me up, I was in complete shock to see it showcased so clearly.

... And then the rest of the video happened, and due to me not reading the title I immediately regretted my decision

Edit: For those who don't want to watch the video:

https://i.imgur.com/HrbXQlj.mp4

Edit edit: I GOT FOOLED BY DASH PADS AGAIN?!?! Sonic Team I swear...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  3. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Dash Pad don't make you faster like that, though.

4. Their Unleashed video review is abominable, hell I think they rated it lower than 06.

Here's the end of the Super Sonic fight for those that may have missed it.
    https://twitter.com/TAM3600/status/1575468015067570177?s=20&t=N9PuvmJl6VrH-wyrVeRbSQ

5. Mookey

Mookey

Yeah, but that's not as low of a blow as you might think as a lot of reviewers at the time gave '06 pretty decent scores (partly because Sega assured them that the bugs in the game would be fixed by release lol).

In fact I think part of the real negative opinion a lot of reviewers had towards Unleashed comes from feeling burnt by '06 and wanting to make up for that, or at least that's what I feel as I think back on that era nowadays.

6. Kyro

Kyro

Its been copyright claimed by sega, any reuploads anywhere?

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?

(turn your volume down)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. netscapenow

netscapenow

Uh oh. Time for a spoilers thread? Definitely going to be checking out now till I've beaten the game, haha. Gotta love how bad Sega is with keeping demos locked :V

9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Apparently someone at the booth closed the game and actually changed the launch parameters to not be in "demo mode", thus not having a timer and opening up more of the game.

Jeez, that's a slip up, perhaps even more so than the save exploit beforehand.

10. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    tbh I don't think such an "exploit" is a big deal against the game itself. flags/params are easier to remove or change than making a vertical slice of what you already have, and you also see similar "exploits" all the time out in the wild for far more important things.

The big deal is that their booths seemingly don't have good enough security to keep people from outright tampering with the machine itself. You shouldn't be able to type in command line params with a controller hahahahaha

11. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Welp, looks like we're getting into outright spoiler / leak territory. Definitely gonna skip out on that opening cutscene, plus I see SEGA has already sniped the video...

Ngl though, that little snippet of Green Hill makes Cyberspace look genuinely really fun. Maybe it's just that the person playing it is actually kinda good at the game

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    This is probably the TikTok booth tbh (though I can't confirm without seeing the area surrounding the screen), but that of course just leads to "SEGA should be more stringent with their partners regarding booth security".

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Bigger than Mania? Really? I've heard no-one IRL talk about Frontiers, that wasn't the case for Mania.

14. Kyro

Kyro

If more of this type of stuff comes out, I think a spoiler thread would be a good call to make sure folks arent accidentally getting exposed to info they want to be surprised by

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Super Sonic combat looks absolutely atrocious

16. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Right back at ya :V
    No one in my entourage ever really talked about Mania at all, but I've got several friends (irl and discord) that talked about "the breath of the wild sonic game" in our casual gaming discussions.
    In fact, this is gonna be my sister's first sonic game ever, because she's a diehard fan of BotW and she loves the similarities.
    I think it's a case of your age group or the people you hang out with, in my opinion

That being said, I can't really comment on this being "the most buzz around a Sonic game since 2006", since I'm so intertwined with the fanbase. There's a lot of discussion surrounding it in my twitter and youtube feed, but...that was the case for Forces and Mania also. So idk

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    One could say that this is the most buzz surrounding a Sonic game since the Mega Drive days.

19. MH MD

MH MD

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. I know this isn’t an academic context or anything, and I don’t really have an opinion on whether it’s the most “buzz” or not, but some guy’s Tweets aren’t really proof.

If we’re going by things like search interest, Sonic Mania at its peak over the past 5 years doubled Frontiers’ search volume on Google Trends. This was after Mania’s launch too meaning the volume was already lower than the run-up - this is visible on lifetime searches but you can’t compare it to Frontiers because the Frontiers data is too new. You can also use some tools to analyze mentions on SoMe and stuff like that, but I’m in bed. Those mentions can also be bad. For example, a million people complaining that Frontiers is a BotW rip vs a hundred thousand saying, “Oh, Mania looks good.” Once again, I’m not saying Frontiers is going to be bad or it doesn’t have any buzz.

Stuff like this is proof, not just a Tweet. From what the guy’s Twitter says, I’m sure he’s doing some actual analysis but it’s not present there.