don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Making Tower move is likely a countermeasure against the player Cylooping it into oblivion.

Though if I had to guess, the Cyloop as an actual attack is pretty weak, innit?

2. Kyro

Kyro

It seems fairly week against regular grunts from footage we've seen, just knocking them into the air, but every time i see someone cyloop tower, it seems to immediately break one of its chunks. Feels like you have the right idea, trying to make sure you cant just immediately bring it down

3. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Tower is one of those fights where you either have a grand old time or a dull time.

One of the times I fought him was legitimately awesome, I was actually able to defeat him by never touching the ground during the entire fight.

I have no idea how I did it, but it is possible to get above the drill blade as it falls without it ever touching you.

I don't think I used the parry move, though at EGX was someone I spoke with was adamant that they were able to parry a titan so it this move could make for some more fun fights.

Ashura, Squid and that other Titan we've seen has me more worried about boss encounters.

4. I remember I saw someone saying the bosses actually we're pretty easy in the demo. Fun, but easy (and creative), don't remember which one of folks said that. Not sure if that's a good thing, but this person said the bosses we're fun, so... (Edit: Of course, everyone can obviously have different experience with the bosses, so not everyone will find it easy or hard.)

I'm actually curious about Ares bosses as well.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  5. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    It's worth noting there are quite a few places on Kronos Island alone that we haven't seen in action yet, just screenshots. Here's a few:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    IIRC the demo only gives access to about 1/4 of the island. The place is seemingly giant.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Anyone else realize that this is the most buzz around a Sonic game since 2006?

Why is this significant? That's sixteen years, over half of the franchise's entire lifespan. That is an incredibly long time for a series to have remained mostly stagnant...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Snowbound

Snowbound

Publications should absolutely have objective views. Consistent opinions? that could be troubling. Different people have different views. If a writer was forced to alter their review because someone else at the publication had a different view… that would be very bad.
    In my view it’s not the drip feed approach that’s worked… it’s that Sonic Team seems to have made a good product which has changed people’s opinions. The gameplay footage that the company of Sega put out dug the game in a PR hole that Sonic Team had to overcome. If the game was as bad as the intial footage made it seem then opinions wouldn’t be changing to the degree they currently are imo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. ...what.

Apparently someone made a guide to get the 6 Chaos Emeralds using the demo footages we have? The footages may heave spoilers, by the way.

10. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    Personally, I wished the marketing was good from the get-go considering we had a Twitter campaign where people were tweeting out a hashtag to delay frontiers and demanding a public demo for "feedback" during the initial gameplay reveals, lol.

Nintendo was secretive on details about BoTW, but they gave it a strong showing that people had a good idea of how the game functions. It wasn't until this month that Sega uploaded a video where they properly explain the game and wasn't from some other publication.

11. Pretty sure that was someone in here since I remember reading it as well and I don’t really look at outside impressions. Anyway, I feel the same way as someone who primarily enjoys AA/niche Japanese games over the big budget stuff that comes from western devs. Excluding Sega/Atlus games and some stuff from Nintendo, I typically have 0 interest in heavily hyped games.

However, Sonic shouldn’t really be aiming for the same level of success as those smaller titles. The brand needs to be shooting for something higher than an quirky Japanese or indie game with a cult following.

12. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Personally. From what I've played, Frontiers is a 6-8 out of 10 depending how you're feeling the day you review it.

I think most people will have an amazing time on the first playthrough, but it's one of those games where I don't think the longevity is that good.

I talk about this a little more in my upcoming vid preview, the content is there, but it's bite sized and not that great for long term fun.

13. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    this is the one I was really excited to see because I loved the idea of launching yourself off a huge ramp.

If it turns out there's actually a dash panel or spring there I'd be pretty disappointed, mostly because I made the mistake of letting my imagination run wild lol

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Making video games isn't easy. But playing with them is also NOT easy. People who spend dozens of hours playing video games every week know this. If someone was dishonest with selling me his/her stupid product you bet I will notice. And, you know, sometimes this happens with Sonic games. I'd give this game a solid 8/10 because I'm an idealistic fool.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Annoying as it may be, the nice thing about Sonic games with actually competent engines is that if there are areas like this where the physics could launch you, then modders can just delete the dash panel themselves and let the game take care of things itself.

16. The Deleter

The Deleter

Apparently some players have made it all the way to the second island with the demo by now. Massive spoilers, both for the gameplay and even story in the vid below:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Leakiest Sonic game ever lmao.

If anyone is excited about the game and want to not be spoiled, y'all gotta go full blackout until November.

As for me, I'm diving the spark in.

18. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Have those people found another exploit that resets the timer, or have they literally got 1/5th of the way into the game in 15 minutes?

19. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I would guess it is footage from Gamescom. I remember people saying that some players got all the way to the second island and saw Knuckles. EGX patched out the save glitch, so everything from there is doable in 15 minutes.

20. The Deleter

The Deleter

I don't believe this is the case. Earlier there were reports that EGX had technical issues with some of the booths which allowed access to variables controlling the demo's constraints. It'd make more sense for those to be removed manually than to accomplish everything included in the video within the span of 15 minutes, somehow.