don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The same game has Knuckles stating that he has been living on Angel Island guarding the ME alone for as long as he can remember.

And even if we assume that the section at the end of IceCap is still part of Angel Island, do know if those buildings are inhabited? As opposed to being some ancient structures?

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Indeed, guarding the Master Emerald alone, nothing about Angel Island being uninhabited. Had to learn English somewhere.

See? I can use my Exact Words power for evil as well, I just choose not to :V
    (I'm joking)

They have hot air balloons floating above them: safe to say there's someone there.
    [​IMG]

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    The Phantom Ruby sent Sonic to the future at the end of Mania so time travel is demonstrably within its wheelhouse. As to why Sonic doesn't run into another version of himself? The past seen in Sonic Mania could be some time removed from the past seen in Sonic CD.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The Chaos Emeralds are involved with that, however, so we can not assume it's an act of the Phantom Ruby alone.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

We know from NPC dialogue that IceCap's ski lope gets tourists from Station Square. So either AI has been on the sea for longer than it seems, or that section is part of Mystic Ruins' mountains.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I recall looking for that quote but being able to find it, do you know which NPC says that?

7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Could be either way given that Sonic returns to the past without any involvement from the Chaos Emeralds. Alternatively, we know the good ending has to be canon, ergo Sonic must've collected the Chaos Emeralds. Chaos Control can be activated with even just one Emerald so maybe the Ruby was interacting with whatever Emerald(s) Sonic had collected up to that point? Yet another factor is that time just doesn't work on Little Planet like it does on Earth, so maybe there side effects in the interaction of that and the Ruby. Granted, there's nothing really supporting or disproving any of these, but Sonic and co. ended up in Little Planet's past nevertheless, and he does go the present for Act 2 via a signpost.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I also recall, we had this conversation before. Too bad nobody seems to have bothered doing a full text dump of the game.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    He also returns to the past without any involvement from the Phantom Ruby. Sonic Forces' plot is... hm.

Indeed, it's likely either the Little Planet or the Time Stones are having an effect, assuming teleportation over illusion.

The wiki has text dumps, I just can't find anything therein, so I was going to go through the game to find the NPC

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Even for NPC dialogue? Can you link me?

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
  12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Thanks. I think I found one of the references:

"Once my work's done, I wanna go snowboarding! It's a great feeling coming down that mountain!"

From one of the NPCs in the train station in Station Square.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Right, I was looking for Skiing, which is why I missed it. I'll look to hook my Dreamcast up, find them and check the Japanese, since they've added and removed lines in the translation (like the Little Planet and Angel Island references).

14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    We do know the Phantom Ruby has dimensional properties due to the Null Space and the Egg Reverie. Maybe these two places are the same place in the end, as some kind of pocket dimension created by the gem.

But we can't be sure if Classic Sonic going to Forces is exclusively due to the Phantom Ruby or if that happened with the influence of the Chaos Emeralds. And we definitely can't be sure if it actually teleported Sonic to Green Hill, Chemical Plant, etc, in Mania or if these were illusions. Probably Mania devs used the concept of teleportation, but they were unaware of Forces' plot and this could easily be retconned.

I don't think sending to the pocket dimensions of the Phantom Ruby is an equivalent idea of sending to the future or to different places on Earth.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Got it:
    [​IMG]

The Japanese:
    [​IMG]

And the translation:
    Turns out, no mention of a mountain, just that he fancies going snowboarding. So nothing about Ice Cap having a known resort as implied in the English text with 'that mountain'.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

We're having BumbleKast Live right now. Somebody asked Ian about Colors DS and Lost World 3DS being or not being different adventures, as Game Gear Sonic 1 is from Genesis Sonic 1.

I thought Ian was straight out going to say "no", or that the canon version is a hybrid of the two versions, but he was enigmatic and later said "don't worry about it" as usual.

17. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    i mean, it really doesn't matter for the current sonic projects being made, that's why he's saying it

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Should that not be in the Continuity Thread instead of Headcanons?

19. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

It should. My bad.

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I gotchu.