don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Doesn't look all that fun to play as Sonic in 2D in Frontiers.

2. Snowbound

Snowbound

I think modding will greatly depend on how intrusive denuvo is. At least that’s what I’ve heard from others as I have no programing skills myself.

I would really love to see someone do an open zone mod with the levels from Unleashed. I think the Wii Unleashed levels could work well, with some modifications, given how sonic’s boost works in frontiers

3. charcoal

charcoal

More high-speed blue boost gameplay nearing the end of this video at 2:20, along with the GHZ gameplay from earlier.

Apparently the official name for the move is the 'Power Boost'. Looks really fun to use.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  4. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member

First footage of getting to the Diamond structure. It by far has the most intricate level design in the Open Zone.

EDIT: Also, skydiving is indeed in the game.

EDIT: Second video, including the 2D Green Hill.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This is the kind of natural gameplay I really needed to see.

I'm sold. Not excited per se, but I definitely want to give this a go for myself.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Just how big is this demo? Seems like every guy with a camera can come across new stuff we've never seen before, it's honestly impressive
    It also means there's no way in hell they're releasing it to the public lol

7. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I guarantee it's simply a build of the entire game with an artificial timer.

It also speaks well of the game's freedom that so much stuff can be found in 15 minutes.

8. The entire demo of this game is already half of Sonic Forces lol.

9. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    If you make a supervideo of all the footage of the game so far, it'd definitely be a third of Forces at the least.

10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    This is part of the reason I'm more forgiving of the reused content in the form of the cyberspace levels. The problem with Forces was that the entire game was made up of a bunch of short, uninteresting, nothing-burgers of levels.

That's not the case here. There's the open-zone exploration (five times, apparently), combat, bosses to fight, unlockable moves, a leveling system, and I guess fishing. The real meat of the game is in the open-zone. The short, nothing-burgers of cyberspace levels only make up a small part of the whole package. I still don't like the way they look, but I'm more willing to look past it because everything else is hitting the right spots for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Felik

Felik

I-Is that... SLOPE PHYSICS? IN MY MODERN SONIC GAME??????

Jokes aside despide it being another rehashed leveldesign, physics and game feel seem much more natural that the travesty that was FS

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I’m amazed we’re seeing modern Sonic roll into a ball and staying in it.

Is the slide finally dead? Never made any sense

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I find the boost circle a little distracting in 2D sections. Maybe it would be better if it was at the left instead of the right.

14. charcoal

charcoal

The slide is still present. Sliding is mapped to the B/O button, with rolling being the same as in the classics in 2D, but in 3D you can only roll into a ball by drop dashing.

It's also been theorized that you may be able to unlock a roll button or spindash, similar to how Sonic supposedly unlocks the bounce attack after rescuing Amy, but that's just a theory.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well least it’s there. Glad to see him rolling again after all these years (save for Lost World, which roll was more “boost in a ball”, Modern Sonic hasn’t rolled in a 3D game since 06)

16. Pie Eyed Piper

Pie Eyed Piper

Nope.

If the timestamp doesn't work, see 10:57 and thereafter.

17. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The issues with the slopes seem to genuinely be glitches / collision issues instead of poor physics. The section you timestamped is a good example of how good the physics are and how the wonky collision makes it look bad.

Sonic looped through those loops roughly like he would in the classics. Same arc. Even the way he drops out of the second loop. Problem is that he probably shouldn't have dropped at that speed.

Generally, it seems that Sonic is fine rolling into a loop, but if he is rolling in a loop, he kind of just falls out.

This is something I chalk up to a glitch that will likely (BUT NOT GUARANTEED!) to be fixed by the time the game comes out.

18. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Forgot to add (so another post 3 pages later instead of an edit) the insta-shield always looked electric to me, and I guess those spininning quills touching the ground at high speed when spindashing can generate quite an amount of static charge too, so electric boost isn't that far from classic games, it's still the fact it happens when on foot (and the overall treatment of spinning not being a mandatory skill for a character whose species has that signature trait) what really makes it wrong, and that goes for non-movie boost as well.

Oh, and to stay on topic, physics are something I'll only notice when I play the game.

19. charcoal

charcoal

This clip is pretty strange, the slope physics are clearly in perfect working order, Sonic rolls down the hills and gains speed at a rate that's perfectly expected, but why does he just stop dead in his tracks in the loop?

We've seen the slope physics working perfectly fine in 3D areas (in this same video in fact at 8:20), so what's up with this clip? Is it a collision issue?

20. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The problem with that is that he is moving the analog stick while going through the loop or later curved surfaces, as opposed to just holding it in the direction. Look closely at his controller whenever he goes through a loop. That's a classic Sonic rookie mistake.

E: After re-watching there are a couple instances where Sonic just. Stops dead in his tracks. Specifically right before a diagonal ramp at 11:40. That is quite odd, but I'll chalk that up to pre-release gameplay. Hopefully (HOPEFULLY) that won't be the case in the final.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022