don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I didn't say that he's movie!Sonic now. Just that giving him electricity-themed powers is unnecessary and doesn't fit game!Sonic's theme.

2. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    bruh maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I always hated how the chillidogs thing randomly became canon. They never acknowledged it in the actual games until like 2008. It was dead and buried but they just brought it back for no reason and I always thought it was so corny lol

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  3. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    What else is there to gain influence from the movies besides aesthetics? Tom the Cop and His Wife aren't going to be prominent characters in the games. Jim Carrey is not going to replace Mike Pollock.

Assuming this is even a problem to begin with, there is legitimately not many things to take from the movies in the first place, seeing as most of their own content is based on the games.

4. Frostav

Frostav

This is my viewpoint on things. There's like three things the games could even take from the movies:

-the characters (Agent Stone rocks and him being an actual sidekick to eggman in the games would be totally cool in my books honestly--but there's no way he, or tom and his family or longclaw would ever show up anyway)

-the boost aura

-uh....the chaos emeralds being smaller?

That's like it.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I can see Agent Stone appearing as a GUN agent. Not in this game, of course.

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Sonic's back story has always been pretty bare, if not nonexistent. The Sonic Bible doesn't really appear to have any relevance at all either. For that reason I actually think Longclaw is a half decent backstory. Just sayin... Come to think of it, conceptually an origin story Sonic game could be incredible!

7. Snowbound

Snowbound

It wasn’t dead and buried, the Archie comics were still ongoing throughout the 2000s with their Sonic taking heavy cues from SATAM. As someone who liked SATAM and Flynn’s archie run it made me soo happy for the games to acknowledge chili dogs. I suspect that kids who enjoy the movies will feel the same about Sonic’s movie inspired attacks.

This isn’t directed at you Snub, but I want to outline a couple points:
    - It’s valid to dislike the movie’s influence
    - It’s valid to like the movie’s influence
    - It’s false to suggest this is the first time outside media has influenced the games
    - And finally, folks who said the movies would influence the games were correct… but let’s stop and think about this for a moment… the success of Sonic 2 could result in better characterization for Tails and Knuckles in future games. Heck, we could wind up with a playable tails and knuckes in the next sonic team title. This could be a good thing.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Except you are comparing a movie that was a success worldwide, but not in Japan (Sonic) to a movie that wad a worldwide flop (Dragonball Evolution). They are not the same.

9. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    There's an acoustic version of Vandalize:

Sorry if this has been posted already.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I guess it's always important to remember that what one person dislikes could be beloved by another person.

moral of the story: one man's Cringe is a another man's Based

11. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Find it a bit odd no one's considering the characterisation as a possibility of influence here

12. Snowbound

Snowbound

Wow that is great. When I first listened to Vandalize and heard the lyrics “shatter me like glass” I immediately thought that someone could do a killer unplugged country blues arrangement of the track. People are gonna think I’m crazy lol but One Ok Rock’s acoustic arrangement with the string section is great as well.

Could you elaborate on this? Like are you concerned that the games are gonna reboot and Sonic’s gonna be an inexperienced child like in the movies?

13. I never compared anything. I said part of me would have liked the movie to flop, especially when we had our first glimpse of what the studio thought was okay, so we’d have a more faithful adaptation similar to what had happened before. Japanese firms value the domestic market very highly and an in-house production has the potential to be more lucrative than licensing the character since it’s not like Sega gets 50% of the gross on these films. Now that the brand has been given a huge boost in profile and the market has been validated outside Japan, producing a more faithful take on the series in order to appeal to the Japanese in particular would be prudent. I’d be shocked if there aren’t discussions surrounding this at Sega Sammy.

Honestly, do you just get a little serotonin hit by disagreeing while presenting 0 argument or reasoning? When you are forced to misrepresent what I actually posted, do you not think, “Okay, maybe I’ll just ignore this even if I disagree.”

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

What is there to elaborate on? Movie!Sonic was more hyperactive, immature and buffoonish than game!Sonic. They could just port over that characterization without without explanation.

Not that they're doing it, judging from the cutscenes (thank goodness).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I liked how Sonic used his speed to fight Knuckles in the movie, so I'm ok with that. Giving more personality to the aura than just a generic faint trail is ok too, but I agree the electricity them is overused (remember Back To The Future, both lightning and flames there), in other words, I'm not worried because it comes from the movie, I'm worried because it's unoriginal. The chilidogs were always stupid, but Sonic needed some favourite food, the TMNT took the pizzas first, and I think hamburgers were already taken too, but can recall who got those.

That aside, Movie!Sonic isn't going to invade the official thing, just like Boom!Sonic didn't either (but bring Sticks to the main canon, I need her there). The may get some inspiration from alternate media because it's there and references are cool, I guess, but they won't replace the main version with the other ones, each one is doing their own art, so to speak.

16. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Yeah, movie Sonic isn't replacing actual Sonic anytime soon, guys. They're just taking elements from movie Sonic and putting it into the main games like they did with Eggman being given the official surname Robotnik, Sonic's beloved chili dogs, and rings actually having energy attached to them in the boost games like Sonic X or the 90s cartoons.

It's funny how something as simple as lightning effects and moves referencing the movie has got people worried that more of the movie cooties will start infecting the main games, which just won't happen ever, I assure you. Maybe a spinoff game based on the movie universe could be possible at best but I wouldn't hold my breath.

17. The Deleter

The Deleter

Let’s just hope this Easter egg and the final battle ricochet reference is the last time we have to worry about it. Remembering Iizuka’s words on bringing cohesion to the brand, he sounded pretty against integrating the Movie specifically, in spite of that talking point. So we should take solace in that and how Frontiers will probably be a decent enough success that it matters, before we get truly worried about it.

Still, there are a lot of “that will never happen”s being thrown around when people were saying the same about movie elements altogether beforehand.

18. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Its a slippery slope. Next you know VG Sonic arms will be blue. Someone's gonna get maced again

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Praying movie Sonic references stay to this, because god knows if the games started to resemble those damn films I'd be backing out for good. LOL

20. RikohZX

RikohZX

I can't tell how much of this is just cynical sarcasm and how much of it is genuine fears that Movie Sonic will suddenly overwrite Game Sonic. Come on, people.