don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Wondering that if you unlock the Bounce Attack through Amy, does the Spin Dash come in through Knuckles or Tails? It'd certainly make sense out of why the left trigger doesn't do anything, despite rolling and Drop Dashing being in the game.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    An "I told you so" goes here to all those saying the movie design stuff wouldn't start infecting mainline titles. Not a fan.

3. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I'm glad it's "infecting" the mainline titles. All the movie stuff being put in Frontiers looks absolutely awesome. Especially the blue boost, it just looks cool as hell.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Don't agree with that at all, but I'm aware a lot of the younger part of the fanbase won't.

5. Snowbound

Snowbound

Let me put it this way: if they put SATAM-influences into the games when I was a kid I would’ve been thrilled. Tbh I’m for an increase in brand cohesion. I also appreciate that they gave sonic, his sonic wind attack so even though his blue boost is inspired by his movie’s electrical abilities, the game’s haven’t forgotten Sonic’s association with the wind.

Sonic had the spindash in lost world (although it did not operate in the traditional manner) so I was surprised it was excluded here, since Frontiers is expanding on aspects of Lost World like the parkour. Given this I’m inclined to agree with your theory.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm not big on taking things from the movie either, particularly stuff related to the Flash-esque lightning theme it gave Sonic. He already had a wind theme, there was no need to steal another speedster's element :colbert:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  7. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I think the spindash was also on the left trigger in Lost World, so maybe this is true. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for disappointment here lol

8. I’m with Overlord on the movie stuff… I did not want that anywhere near the actual games.

In all honesty, even though I think the films are fine, I was hoping a bit for a Dragon Ball Evolution size flop so we could possibly get a Sonic equivalent of Battle of Gods from an anime studio instead.

Though considering the films’ dismal performance in Japan and the apparent success of Frontiers there, I think it can still happen which would be nice.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  9. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    I'm an OG 90s Sonic fan who to this day plays the Genesis Sonic games regularly and I don't see the issue with Sonic taking certain things from the movies. They look cool and as long as the games are fun I don't mind it at all. I also loved the movies so that does help.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    This is a joke, right? It's not like Toei saw Evolution and went "We need to change this." It happened because Toriyama himself didn't like that and said he could do better. Sega isn't going to do that.

The films are a wild success that Sega is happy with. Once again, not going to happen. Even if they did somehow flop like you wanted it still wouldn't have happened.

11. The movie boost being in Frontiers is the most benign thing, merely an aesthetic change. Hell, if they're gonna pull from secondary media they might as well pick the cool stuff, which they did.

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

Isn't that a bit rude? I don't mind the movie Sonic reference for Power Boost mode, but that's all it is: a reference. I'm 29 here, only born two years after Sonic really began, and that just feels like throwing a particular age younger than me under the bus for if they like it at all.

Sonic's had blue glowing jump and movement abilities since SegaSonic the Hedgehog in the arcade. The "Sonic Wind" is straight up inconsistent as is anyway since the series veers between blue energy boosting, winds and just Sonic being Sonic.

13. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Sonic having a blue trail or a boost aura in previous games doesn't imply lightning or electricity. And we certainly never had a power up cutscene where he looks like he's getting charged with electricity before.

But anyway, by Sonic having a wind theme I don't mean that his powers come from the wind or that he has literal wind powers. Just that he has long been likened to and associated with the wind, and has a history of using his abilities to manipulate wind.

14. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Hes right though. Im 36 and im not thrilled about movie elements in this game....TBH though I dont really care for the movie so that might be the real reason

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm 35 and I don't mind at all.

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I can think to another game that was this way, and it's actually Sonic Chronicles. Since these two games are about the discovery of the game first and foremost, you don't actually want people just knowing what to expect because then it lessens the experience, because it is the experience. With Lost world or Forces, even if you know the whole plot, you'll still have challenges to go though, more than just a few of the shown-off stages to beat, the act of overcoming them is the experience.

After watching the ~1 minute video Nintendo showed of the new Zelda, I saw a lot of people being hyped off that alone and saying they don't need to see anything else. I didn't really get this until sitting with it for a minute, but its audience inherently understands that they're not supposed to go in knowing much more than they're shown, while the Sonic fanbase moves in way faster on trying to get stuff shown off, doesn't really get why it's like this since basically every other game (aside from the oh-so-sacred Soinc Mania) and even the movies had their load blown by everyone and their mother before it arrived. It's a trend they're unfortunately repeating with this game with how much is just openly known.

Basically: It's this way out of necessity more than anything else, but the attempts are undermined by so, so many more people than SEGA has at their disposal to keep it how they want it.

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

Sonic is basically pulling EVERYTHING in this game. Drop Dash, bouncing, wind projectile spam kicks, boost, the movie-style Power Boost, Lost World Parkour, weird super ring energy attacks, etc. And this was supposed to be the 30th anniversary game, but the pandemic delayed it at least a whole year.

This isn't just "oh no his powers are movie Sonic now". Sonic is using his entire franchise arsenal besides maybe Boom abilities which weren't really much on their own either. And even those were suspiciously similar in visuals to certain things both Movie Sonic and now Game Sonic do with their boosts.

18. If Sega is serious about trying to make Sonic big in Japan, which they apparently are, it is completely ridiculous to dismiss the possibility of Japanese-produced media. With few exceptions, foreign media does not fare well in Japan against domestic content. I am not saying an anime film is likely to happen, that is incredibly risky, but another crack at a series is completely within the realm of possibility considering SEGA’s ownership of TMS and the ROI that can be generated by Blu-ray/DVD sales in Japan.

19. Patrolman

Patrolman

I mean its not like this is the first time the series have taken inspirations from other products in the franchise

Eggman was just Eggman until they decided to just combine names to Dr Ivo Eggman Robotnik

Sonic's love for Chilidogs came from AOSTH/SATAM

20. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Point Overlord's making isn't that much about these elements in and of themselves right now, but that people said the movie stuff wouldn't influence decisions in the games- and it's doing so now. Yes, just in aesthetics, but if it's doing that now, what'll it do in the future? It's a worry for where things are going.