don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    This comment from Kishimoto caught my eye.
    [​IMG]

Now, maybe this is all a big excuse for why they decided not to add tall grass to the environments, but...is Sonic really such a tree-hugger that he wouldn't even hurt a blade of grass? If he really loves nature that much, then why the hell would he go fishing? Especially if he knows what Big's going to do to the ones he catches.

2. Felik

Felik

That is the same PR talk as "Cyberspace levels are based on Sonic memories so they are copypasted from previous game"

Dev team run into a technical limitation so they made a stupid excuse to just can the idea.

3. I don't consider that to be a stupid excuse in the slightest. The overarching theme of the classics was "rodent versus the forces destroying the environment" after all.

4. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Kishimoto also said that because the original idea was rejected, they eventually developed the Cyloop in its current form. They didn't can the idea, they repurposed it. He even says that if something gets rejected, he tries to make the alternative more interesting. Personally, I like the new idea better.

I'm saying this for people who need to hear it, but you don't have to act like literally anything Sonic Team does is "PR talk" or an "excuse for laziness."

What "PR talk" is this supposed to be for, by the way? Did anyone here have any expectations of cutting through grass with the Cyloop? The reason you even know it was a thing is because Kishimoto decided to tell a story about why it isn't.

Who says the game would have tall grass? He said nothing about "tall grass", he said it would be used to cut grass and sand.Who says that there was a technical issue with implementing tall grass? Why assume things for the sake of accusing Sonic Team of being incompetent? I genuinely do not get it.

God forbid he share a bit trivia without people going on about how he is so incompetent and terrible.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    This hurts me cause one of the most standout shots from Sonic X is probably the one where Sonic's busy sniffing a (picked) flower.
    Sonic cares about the overabundant weeds known as grass but doesn't care about the rare and delicate flowers?!

6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Using the cyloop to cut grass sounds really boring... I'm glad they repurposed it to be something combat oriented.

I think you guys are looking too much into Sonic not wanting to cut out large circles of grass, though. It just fits more in line with Sonic's tree hugger nature even if theoretically it doesn't matter in the end.

7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Circle of life, innit? I can actually see the reasoning in what's being said here. If cutting grass with the Cyloop was a fun mechanic(!), then players would want to do it a lot and that would be contrary to Sonic's eco-friendly nature. It's a small and odd thing to tell us about but honestly I do think it shows a certain reverence for Sonic's roots and that original nature vs technology conflict.

8. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Would be adorable if the loop would breathe life into nature. Growing little patches of grass in a desert. Bringing back a wilted flowerbed. Making a tiny tree get bigger and stronger.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I would guess that's because a LOT of the general public is pretty blind to the ecological horrors of the seafood industry. Also there's kind of that trope or the laid back nature-loving guy who loves to fish, ex: Big, so it still makes Sonic seem like a "friend of nature".

...Also they are animals, so I guess nobody would think twice about a stray cat catching fish down by the river. It's not like they're destroying the ecosystem, a cat's just gotta eat, and there are no chili dogs on a deserted island.

I'm gonna assume the tall grass thing was a joke

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (link)
    I always find it more interesting to hear positive impressions come from people who were skeptical at first.

I had my share of concerns about the game so it's cool to hear positive reactions from people who also felt a similar way at first

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Vertette

Vertette

I dunno, I'm worried that people are openly praising a Sonic game again. That's definitely a bad sign!

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Screenshot_20220922-092843_Twitter.jpg Nice.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  13. Just can't wait to play this on the Series X

14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
  15. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The control scheme is going to be cluttered af, I know that. The only reason why the Light Speed Dash is on L3 lmao.

According to the person who played the EGX demo, they fixed the issue of Sonic's jump in Cyber Space.

https://twitter.com/DreamcastCharl/status/1572942741566259201

This footage from another player at EGX attests to this. They play through Green Hill and there's no point in which Sonic loses all of his speed in a jump.

Though generally, it's not like Sonic will start flying with any jump.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  16. Snowbound

Snowbound

17. Kyro

Kyro

Thats very encouraging for the state of the game, but man I really with we could get that type of hype in more places. Would be so cool if it got like, smash ultimate treatment where we could go to walmart and try out the game.

As for tailstube, the new direction for knuckles VA is a lot nicer I think, but its kinda jarring hearing roger doing his usual sonic voice, especially when we already know in frontiers hes gonna be using a lower tone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Looks like he still slows down a ton around 2:54 to me

19. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    At least the game's already showing up on the cover of their take-one gaming magazines in electronics.

Man am I glad they've fixed the jump!

20. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I think it's because of how Sonic and dash panels (i.e. automated speed) works. The first person to talk about the jump issue says Sonic only really keep his speed when jumping while he's boosting, so you had to keep "boost jumping."

What I was focused on was every other time he jumped--not only did Sonic keep his speed, but it was appropriate to the speed he went when he jumped. In older footage, he would lose all his speed. In this footage, he at worst loses some speed off of dash panels.

EDIT: 2:34 is a perfect example of what I mean. On the first ledge, when he moves while jumping, he keeps his speed and goes farther. On the second ledge, when he jumps standing still, it's slower, stiffer, and doesn't go as far. Precisely how it is supposed to work.

The first tweet says that the same problem was fixed in 2D as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List