don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    As soon as this game was shown I knew it was exactly what I personally wanted and what a lot of the post adventure kids wanted sonic to be, to emphasize my point in how important this game will be most of my casual gaming friends who were the same crowd making fun of sonic post 06 are looking at buying frontiers after seeing some of the newest trailers. That said if it is good and does well this will bring a lot of eyes back to the series, if it fails, it will be as bad or worse than 06. I hope to god we aren’t heading in that direction but it’s looking to at minimum be a mid to high.

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably
  4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  5. I do know what you mean, that happened to me in Super Mario Sunshine and I started to get very bored of each new 'Get Shine' being much the same as the last.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    If the prologue’s just one part, then I imagine it’ll only drop during release week. As for what Ian could be teasing, it could be an interview with him, it could be the first cutscene uploaded in direct feed, it could be anything really.

Including a new TailsTube video, so it may not even be Frontiers specifically.

Or Sonic specifically, now that I think about it…

7. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    A lot of people were saying the game was very responsive despite being 30fps on Switch and I'm being reminded that when Forces came out they kept bragging that they got the 30FPS version on Switch to respond to your button clicks like it was 60fps. Given it's on the same engine they probably pulled that off again.

Might even play the 4k 30fps version on PS5 if they did that there as well.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    If they have done that again, I don’t see why they wouldn’t do that for all modes running in 30FPS. Still, the concept baffles and I really hope SEGA does a GDC talk someday on how exactly the system works. At any rate, that’s all well and good but I’m also really bothered about stuff like slowdown and frame stutters.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I remember one of the rumors was that Sonic Team was going the same route with Frontiers that Playtonic did with Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair: they built the game specifically for the Switch's hardware first, and then got it up on other platforms. I really hope that's the case; I seem to remember Sonic Team mentioning that was their plan with Forces, but they didn't get Switch devkits until much later so they had to start on other platforms.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  10. Mana

Mana

Okay well I have a modern console so I'm not worried about HAVING to play at 30fps in the first place. Just thought it'd be cool for people here to know this.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  11. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I think Ian needs to chill out with the "Wait until you see what awesome thing we might show you hint hint." It's gone from tantalizing to annoying.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Welcome to reading Archie with the constant "plug plug" comments in the footnotes and letters page.

13. It’d be really embarrassing too if the game ends up blowing lol. It takes a lot of confidence to act like that, so I hope it’s well placed. Though, I do care much more about the gameplay than story and it’s not like he had any input there.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    For what it’s worth everyone involved with this game that’s mentioned it seems actually confident in this one, so if it fails lots of people get to be embarrassed :V

I think this game looks fun though

15. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Y'all know Ian works on stuff other than Sonic, right? There are a plethora of things that could pertain to other than Frontiers.

Even if this is about Frontiers, god forbid someone play hype man for the project they're working on. I'd be concerned if he wasn't enthusiastic about this.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't want to see talk like this in the thread again.

Common sense and measured responses have no place here.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Snowbound

Snowbound

That was part of the fun of the archie comics in my opinion. The excitement of wanting to find out what happens next month. I think it’s good that Ian has the same enthusiasm for Frontiers.

I also want to point out that part of being a writer is advertising yourself. It’s in Ian’s best financial interest for as many eyes to be on whatever’s announced or uploaded this week. For reasons unrelated to the quality of Flynn’s writing Sega could decline to hire him for the next Sonic game. If that were to happen then it would be good for Flynn to be a known and relevant entity to potential employers. Obviously there are times where you’re under NDA and can’t say anything, however Sega doesn’t seem to take issue with Flynn’s knowing smile tweets.

Tldr I highly doubt these tweets are trying to annoy fans. It’s in most writers’ best interest to draw attention to their work

18. Vertette

Vertette

That is such a smart idea that it makes you wonder why more developers don't try it. Ah well.

For what it's worth it looks surprisingly good on Switch, so I can believe it.

19. Mana

Mana

Most games most successful version won't be on Switch, so they don't want to target it, and they want to play with the new toys next gen gaming has to offer rather than still programming for games with the same thought process as a decade ago, because the Switch's processor is almost an antique at this point.

I'd even argue that they only pushed for the Switch version to run so well and come out at the same time at the others AT ALL is because Sonic sells best on Nintendo.

20. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Well he said "the week is still young" and it's Wednesday now, so we've got a good 3 days left to see whatever it is he's talking about.

I honestly like how Ian is hyping us up for next month, it gets me excited that there's still stuff we haven't seen. I feel like many of us are getting to a place where we feel like we know what we're getting with Frontiers (even when Super was revealed I was like, "meh we knew that already"), so the possibility of seeing more new stuff is pretty exciting. Ohtani did mention they were working on releasing some new music, so it could be that.

*edited to remove link to fake tweet bc I got baited

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022