don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Kyro

Kyro

Huge fan of the animation we're seeing here, willing to bet everything here is from the first episode too which is likely why we're seeing so much of the same area in green hill.

Honestly, the only thing rubbing me the wrong way is the spindash, it just looks weird to me, it didn't look so bad on shadow in the teaser for him but on sonic its throwing me off, dunno why!

Either way, very excited for this honestly, it looks great

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    What a weird looking product.

[​IMG]

It's a flat grassy area, with scenery placed on the edges of the map and then... a void?

I would say it's very 90s-esque but in the 90s Sega were fans of infinite planes, so while you'd almost certainly have a very basic floor... it would actually be a floor. Even Sonic Ride, an experiment from 1994 has more convincing wide shots.

And yet we've also got modern rendering techniques for the materials themselves.

3. The backgrounds are definitely bland, and Eggman looks...off? I kind of figured the great animation had to come at some type of cost elsewhere and unique environments seem to be it.

4. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’m very forgiving of Sonic animation and your post helped me realize why. I kinda like cheesy outdated animation when it comes to Sonic. My first two sonic games were mega collection plus and heroes. Many folks have, rightly, criticized the rubbery models in heroes… but as a kid who didn’t realize that the games in mega collection were a decade old, I thought they were inline with how Sonic looked in 3K and 3D Blast. As an adult I know better, but I have a nostalgic attachment to Heroes’ rubbery model and bright lighting.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nice enough teaser I guess but it tells us nothing about the show at all :V But hey, this is the first TV/game product that actually looks like it's a Sonic property rather than something entirely unrelated with Sonic smacked into it for at least 3 years, so...

6. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Seems kinda cheesy, but it could be good. Not a fan of the purple sky in green hill though.

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  8. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Replying to a message from 2020 but I want to say a few months ago Ian Jones-Quartey (the creator of OK K.O.!) said on a podcast that he would like to make a Sonic show at some point, even shared a few ideas he had for it. The crossover episode with OK K.O. I don't think was meant to set up anything thought. Originally they were going to make it a Sonic Boom crossover even. They wrote it while in production of OK K.O.'s first season then SEGA didn't greenlight it until Season 3 was going.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Snowbound

Snowbound

A really interesting and brief analysis of the teasers animation:

10. According to this article the show will debut with one 40-minute episode and seven 20-minute episodes.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  11. Snowbound

Snowbound

Ohhh, the whole season would be about 3 hours. We’re basically getting another Sonic movie. Tbh I was expecting a larger amount of 20 min episodes but this actually has me more excited. This is gonna be a tightly paced epic! Or at least I hope it will be ;)

12. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    20 minutes? Not bad. I thought we'd be getting 10-minute shorts like with Boom, so that's a pleasant surprise.

It's a shame that 20 minutes is now the norm, though...I can understand for cable tv since they have ads to worry about, but I don't see why Netflix can't afford them an extra three minutes. 20 minutes is inadequate to tell a self-contained adventure without the pacing being cranked way up (which I've noticed is now common for most cartoons after 2010).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I guess you didn't hear that Netflix will be adding a tier with ads.

14. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Well, yes, but the reason that's the case with cable is that cable networks work on a schedule. Since schedules and timeslots aren't a thing with Netflix, there's little reason to limit this show to 20 minutes outside of budget cuts.

15. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Wildbrain may or may not plan on throwing the show onto their Canadian TV channel unless Netlfix just has universal distribution rights. Otherwise, a lot of streaming shows get made to fit snugly into TV-friendly times despite getting put on a streaming service. It's just nice to keep options open and to have a consistent mold to work with.

16. MH MD

MH MD

The article actually states there is 24 episodes in total, what that means we are getting “batches” on Netflix, rather than they drop it all at once

….HOW?

20 minutes is plentiful, it’s the standard for all anime episodes out there and they can tell plenty of stories there with good pacing, sometimes it’s even bad pacing cause 20 minutes is a lot, it’s not like they are starved for additional 3 minutes that makes this big difference

not that you should take this too literally anyway, they are stating the average, they can have little variations with additional minute or two just fine like any Netflix production out there

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Unless you are Stranger Things Season 4 where every episode is 90 minutes MINIMUM and the season finale is three hours long.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    That sounds disgusting, I'm absolutely fine with 20 minutes. Besides, from what we've heard, Prime will take on a more serialised format than Boom (which itself used its ten minute slots just fine for standalone stories).

19. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    It looks okay... I guess? Nice that we have Shadow, I hope he plays a major role in the upcoming animation, like chasing Sonic between dimensions. I also hope that he's not a furry Vegeta-light.

20. MH MD

MH MD

Glad i didn't bother to watch that in the first place :V even if it's good, i just cant watch what is essentially a series of movies, it's absurd and just exhausting