don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    5:24
    - Since Sonic Origins seems to be the new official first games of the timeline, what about Tails Adventure and some spin-offs like Dynamite Dux and Flicky? More specifically, the Japanese story for Tails Adventure seems to indicate that it would take place before Sonic 1 since the Chaos Emeralds had been on Cocoa Island since time immemorial and is where this game takes place but specifically states it's before the West Side Island incident. Meanwhile, the English story instead states that Sonic and Tails had parted ways for a little vacation time and that the island in this game is instead called Tails Island and is Tails' favorite holiday spot. Which is the canon version? As for Dynamite Dux, are Bin and Pin young in that game? If so, wouldn't it have to be a generation earlier since one of them is Bean's father?

- For Tails Adventure, things are being adjusted. A spin-off Game Gear title is not as beholden to the canon as the main series. So expect some retconning I guess, in some regards here and there. (...) Don't worry about it too much because it's never really mattered, but there is thinking behind it. That's all I can really say right now. Dynamite Dux I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to be canonized into Sonic lore. I know, there's the link with Bin, but it's a different franchise and I think that's more kind of a bit joke trivia. Don't try to hang your hat on it. Same with Flicky, I don't that really counts as a Sonic title. Flicky is present in the Sonic series, but I think that's more of a nod to where the company used to be and where they've come from, rather than 'these are shared assets and therefore everything is canon'.

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    One of the manuals I think, but can't remember which one. I'll have to check them. I remember Eggman choosing to trap the inhabitants of the island and turn them into robots to do search every nook and cranny to get the emeralds, the explanation may have come from my logic and not the source.

EDIT:
    At least in the Sonic 2 manual it says Robotnik is turning them into robots so he can make them work in building the death egg, but that's no reference to what component the animals are meant to be, so I'll keep checking out.

EDIT 2:
    Sorry, I'm not able to find it, so maybe my memories are foggy and I made up that explanation back in the day. My fault if it's headcanon, and that's what it seems to be right now.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I commented at one point:
    Which is something I took from the interaction here:
    So this might be my bad, sorry.

4. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Please do not do this.

Please do not do this.

Please do not do this.

I understand you are frustrated at certain aspects of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. We have all been there. But at the same time, the way you have gone about expressing this has derailed this thread and made it, at times, unapproachable. Talking about Sonic the Hedgehog canon and continuity is one of my favorite things to do, yet I have avoided this thread on multiple occasions. Which is something I shouldn't do in general, because heck I'm an admin I should be making sure that things aren't going off the rails.

This is not me being angry or upset because I am disagreeing with you on certain points (you might be shocked there's a couple things you've said that I sympathize and agree with, which I won't go into), but the difference is I didn't spend 20 pages being upset about it, and then continue to push on the subject without mentioning it. I know you mention in the first post I quoted that "you are joking," but its hard to see it as just a joke after reading the previous 40 pages, then having you follow up almost immediately with wanting people to engage with your headcanon, perhaps to reinforce the fact that you think its better than whatever Sega has come up with. The second quote definitely comes across as passive aggressive, instead of the springboard for some fun and/or interesting discussion.

This is not to say that you can never make a joke, never be sarcastic, never sigh and shrug about Sonic. But it has felt that your entire enjoyment of the franchise is based on how close the series is to your personal timeline, or personal explanations. I came up with a headcanon that Forces was a pocket universe created by the Phantom Ruby. I'm still tickled by the notion! But there is a less than zero chance it is something that is canon. If I were to get angry at Sonic Team for Frontiers referencing Forces and Sonic Adventure 2, implying that it was in fact not a pocket universe, it would be in my best interest to take a step back from Sonic discourse as a whole and take a break, because clearly the issue would not be that I'm upset Sonic Team did not read my forum post.

I can understand KKM's frustration here. I am not condoning his tone, but I understand it. If you feel like you are not being heard, sometimes you can get upset. I would like this thread to be full of people who are not upset. Because it's a thread that stems from people talking about Sonic CD's placement in the timeline. Which, in the grand scheme of things, is not something to actually get upset about. I will say to KKM, let's take it down a notch. But I say that with the hope that you, BlackHole, also take it down a notch. I have not responded to anything in the last 50 pages because of how this discourse has been, and you've been at the center of it. If not, I can ban people from participating in this thread. Take into account what the other mods have said, and consider this an official warning.

5. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    What if Sonic CD took place before Sonic 1? Then Sonic got hit by a rock and forgot how to do a spin dash. (The rock is later revealed to have been the missing seventh Chaos Emerald.)

6. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Well, that pretty much confirms that they're not as strict on how they imagine a game going as they could be, and changes IDW makes mattering to them. It'll just be up to them how they take that leap when it comes to games with fully voiced stories, if they ever choose to go after those.

7. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah, we know the Tails 30th anniversary special will bring back Witchcart and probably the Grand Battle Kukkus so I wouldn't be surprised if they slyly reference Tails' Adventure as being something that took place post-S3K.

8. Pengi

Pengi

It doesn’t sound like Ian was talking about the IDW comics. It sounds like the new timeline is something coming from Sega. So the comics will reflect whatever Sega has in mind, and not vice-versa.

As far as the IDW Classic Sonic stuff goes, I think they’ll continue to be set at the end of the Classic era, where all of the Classic games have happened but Sonic 4/Sonic Adventure haven’t.

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

When may that anniversary special be released?

10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. RDNexus

RDNexus

Ohh... IDW issue. I thought it was the next TailsTube video ^^"

12. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Not for me at least, I was in that boat since before I could vote. If I haven't discarded that yet is because it's so stuck in my mind I can't believe I made up things, but otherwise is ancient headcanon.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Well, you'll be happy to hear that today's TailsTube has explicitly walked back both of those mistakes.

1:16-1:36

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Yes, I'm quite happy with this.

Though I found particular amusement in Knuckles mentioning he's "the last of an ancient line of guardians entrusted with watching over the Master Emerald"... while they play footage of Pachacamac's raid on the Emerald Altar and the area around it burning.

Not complaining, just genuinely found the irony amusing.

15. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    To be fair, they haven't got a suite of options as far as relevant footage for that goes to begin with. They're certainly not going to cross the streams and use movie footage, which would likely also have legal complications in addition to confusing the brand.

16. Pengi

Pengi

There was nothing to walk back. Ian got given an incorrect note about the Master Emerald from Sega ages ago. Ian pointed out that it was incorrect, and that was the end of it.

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Could just use footage of Tikal next to the Master Emerald without the fire.

Also, I like the Sea Fox Ver2 file on Tails' desktop.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I don't think Tikal was ever really defined as a guardian though, right? Granted, there's nothing explicit saying Pachamac was as far as I can recall, but I think showing Pachamac and his warriors better conveys the idea of the lineage and tribe in a way that is more relevant to Knuckles as a character anyway, being something of a warrior himself.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I mean, Pachacamac was overtly aggressive and proceeded to stampede over everything in his path to claim the Master Emerald, even his own daughter. He was one of the ones the Master Emerald needed guarding from, which Chaos did a bang up job on.

Still, there really isn't much good footage to draw from to show the echidna guarding the Master Emerald, so I guess Tikal guarding it from Pachacamac would be as best as possible. Still amusingly ironic though.

20. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Rewatching this episode, Knuckles mentions “robotic abominations” among his list of Master Emerald thieves. Of course, this is most plainly a reference to Mecha Sonic v2 and the Hard-Boiled Heavies, but could also be referencing Gemerl and even Master Overlord from the IDW comic. The crossing of streams is making me very happy. :)