don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Damn what the hell are they doing over there? They must be doing something right to get such positive reception and now this award. I simply can't ignore that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. That's a good reward.

But because it doesn't meet my very specific expectations about this franchise, I will ignore it and continue to hate this game until I am being catered to.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I guess the level reusage isn’t as big a deal in Japan because a lot of the eyes on Frontiers are new ones that likely haven’t played Green Hill and Chemical Plant for the last decade.

5. I feel its moreso the games those throwback stages are from were never really popular in Japan to begin with. The Classics are basically hallmarks in Western territories, but the failure of the Mega Drive in JP meant that people did not play those games as much as we did.

6. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    You can't ignore it but I have a feeling the same people who have been ignoring the rest of the positive press and feedback by those who have actually played it won't be swayed and will continue to say it looks like crap.

Earlier this year someone who played it said they expected at least 1 or 2 GOTTY nominations and this was back when they did that actively bad reveal gameplay. Looks like they were unto something.

7. MH MD

MH MD

level reusage isn't really big deal anywhere, any impressions and previews of the game anywhere were positive and didn't even mention any reuse, it's only the very hardcore fans that notice this stuff, but will it affect the reception of the game? no it won't, even if the game got bad reception, this won't be the reason.

After all, even big games like BOTW and Elden Ring reused a lot of stuff and their side dungeons were all samey, still some of the best critically acclaimed games of all time

8. Trippled

Trippled

9. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I said this earlier and someone on here, who refused to give the game any type of fair chance, didn't listen to this. Generations sold 3 million copies, at the most. And it's 11 years old. A lot of people who will play this will have never played Gens, haven't played Gens in a decade, or never played a Sonic game and won't notice the reused level design. Nor will they care.

The BOTW and Elden Ring asset reuse is spot on too. Like half the shrines in BOTW are copy pasted from others around the map.

10. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The rough thing about Breath of the Wild is that every single shrine, without fail, looks the exact same. The divine beast dungeons also share an aesthetic, that is still really similar to the shrines.

Elden Ring has caves, hero graves, catacombs, ruins, mines, tunnels, and probably some other shit I'm missing. It could probably have done with a few less, given how much shit repeats anyway, but ultimately it had more variety.

For Frontiers, we know of what, like four potential level themes for cyber stages? But they almost certainly have at least one for each time of day, which while more subtle is a difference. We know of at least one visual theme that isn't directly taken from any specific stage, and have been promised more. I'm really hoping they built up a fair bit more environment variety than what we've got so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably

I plugged the article into DeepL and it's really interesting - I thought this bit in particular was pretty fascinating:

12. I’m not really familiar with the Japan Game Awards. I just checked out the list of winners (non-Future category) since its inception. Sakura Wars was the first game to win which is pretty cool. The only other Sega game to win the grand prize was PSO. Besides those grand prize winners, some Excellence awards were given to Yakuza/Judgment titles, PSO2, and Persona 5. Funnily, excluding Red Dead Redemption 2, the overseas awards seems to go to each year’s COD release lol.

I can’t really find a complete list of Future Award winners but it seems most high profile JP games get some kind of recognition. I’m not sure how much an award says about the actual quality of the game, but considering the push to gain Japanese popularity, it’s pretty good news if this is the first time Sonic is being recognized.

• List
  13. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    So the Cyber Space levels definitely have unified physics. And I get their logic, since the levels are supposed to be more straightforward than the Open Zone.

There's a direct feed of the Sky Sanctuary level (https://twitter.com/SoaHCity/status/1571395735568130050) and this time the ranking system actually works--an S Rank is 55 seconds. The player did terribly and showed us there is actually a D Rank in the game, but what I find more interesting is that no playthrough of this level that I've seen was under 55 seconds.

So it seems it will still take effort to S Rank these stages.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Lord, check out how quickly the level gets going again after a death. Definitely feels very conducive to the high pace burst play of the cyberspace levels.

15. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Here's another good video, it's someone's playthrough and it actually has clear audio!

I like how at the end of the video, they try to fight the Asura by punching its legs. It doesn't work, obviously, but it's cute that the game makes you think it could.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. Why can they not give Sonic an appropriate animation for exiting a grind? It drives me up the wall how crappy it looks that he remains in the grind pose after leaving the rail. Does he also keep running in the air when leaving a ramp? I don’t like it in the classics and I don’t like it here. Those are the only two things that stand out to me as really bad looking. The rest is pretty expected boost gameplay.

17. This, but unironically. Lol

I acknowledge my bias against the game and it's developers. I am not oblivious to it. But I also know such feelings aren't exactly unfounded.

As I said, non-fans tend to not care as much about the exclusion or inclusion of certain elements.

And I myself was never under the impression the game would be terrible, at most boring and with some questionable decisions, but I now have to acknowledge there will be at lest some merit to the idea it's actually good.

By some standards at least. World design so far appears to actually be beneath the quality of a certain popular mobile game from China, whose world design isn't great but not terrible either.

18. *Classic fans quaking in the distance*

I feel like it's more they REALLY want the Japanese audience, and it shows.

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I disagree. Never agreed with this idea that you have rabid, insane hardcore fans and the more laid back general public. It's an argument that you could apply, and has been applied, to all kinds of critiques. Who cares about Sonic's physics in Sonic 4, only the hardcore noticed that. Who cares about the cheesy dialogue of Pontac and Graff, only the hardcore fans care about that. Who cares about Sonic's friends, only the hardcore fans care about that. You could just dismiss all critiques of games by saying that no one cares.

The truth is that the reuse of old level tropes is a wide criticism across Twitter, Youtube, and Reddit and across a wide range of players. Not just hardcore Sonic fans. It's possible that mainstream critics like IGN might not notice it, but their job is to give a broad overview of the quality of many different games. Not to give laser focused critiques. And even then I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I remember Team Sonic Racing receiving criticism from game journalists for playing it safe.

I also find it odd that people use BoTW as an example of how it's actually okay to reuse assets and it's just a weird Sonic complaint. Firstly BoTW does so in a very different way. It's not reusing assets which have been reused over the last decade. It's recycling shrine assets in the same game. Even then, it's not like it wasn't controversial. A lot of Zelda fans criticised BoTW for it's repetitive shrine aesthetic and poor dungeons. It's why some people say it's not a 'real Zelda'. I wouldn't go that far but I do agree it's a weakness of the game.