don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Teamed ARK.

2. RDNexus

RDNexus

I see Team Dark as a group of anti-heroes.
    They may help save the day if that's within their personal agendas or goals.
    They're less buddies than Sonic & Pals, more like pros who do their best interacting according to each mission.

This is all opinion formed from what's seen in the games, so I can't be that much far off... ^^"

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It's amusing that you're accusing me of taking things to the extreme, while doing just that with me.

I said Shadow doesn't like them, based on my understanding. Did I say he hates their existence? Did I say he would rather shoot himself than so much look at them? That would be taking them to the extreme like you're claiming, but I've done no such thing. Instead, you've decided that's exactly what I mean and jumped in to start a fight.

From what I understand, he's neutral toward them, much as the example you supplied: me and Overlord would be neutral toward one another, I'm not sure if Overlord likes me and he seems an alright person, but we hardly talk so I'm neutral toward him. He doesn't hate them, but he doesn't like them, they just work together when their goals align.

The problem is Rouge has vowed to turn against the world if it turns on Shadow, which is hardly something you would say to someone you're neutral toward. I'm hardly going to turn to Overlord and say: "Even if you believe everyone in the world will be against you, know that I'll always be by your side."

But thank you for immediately assuming the worst and having a go.

EDIT: I would also point out I asked for the games to be organised into a canon timeline, NOT to have their stories changed, which I find highly unnecessary for such an organisation.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I love how I've somehow become the example here. =P

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    But do you hate Team Dark because you don't see them as friends? :eng99:

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I've just got to say: even if you believe everyone in the world will be against you, know that I'll always be by your side. :V

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nah, I just don't like Shadow because edgelord characters are cringe and dull =P

8. I just personally think it makes it hard to care about the story at large when story beats have to be so vague yet creators aren't allowed to work outside those vague guidelines.

I'm not an official writer like you so I got no stake in this race, but its one of the many reasons I find it difficult to care about comics as a whole because I'm aware anything that is defined can just change over night at the whims of the executives. I'm sure you, Ian and Evan a day everyone working are doing the absolutely the best that you can under the current circumstances and I honestly appreciate the work you guys are doing, but that's just how I personally feel.

I can't speak for the rest of the fanbase and I'm sorry if anyone else has been giving you guys shit over guys that are out of your control.

9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Late to this old party, but you posted a lot while I was away:

In Sonic 1, Eggman not only captured because he's bad and thought he would torture Sonic, but he also because they knew their homeland and doc needed to search for the chaos emeralds there. So, in the beginning, more than general AI, they were like storage devices Eggman wanted his robots to extract data from. Any other use was possible, but not the main reason.

I may not remember it right, but I'd say Zero also releases a little bird too when destroyed, though I can't remember if it's one of the birds present when Gamma sacrifices herself after liberating the rest of the E-100 family.

10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    No, Zero is animal-less. Could explain why his AI is so basic.

11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Yeah. Went to double check a playthrough I recorded last week.
    [​IMG]
    The birds being targeted by Zero.
    [​IMG]
    And nothingness after it explodes. I never really stopped to think about how there's no animal in Zero, so I'm glad this was mentioned.

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    It’s probably for the sake of the story being told. You’re not supposed to sympathize with ZERO the way you are with the other E-100 series bots.

13. Pengi

Pengi

The Sonic Adventure Navigation Guide mentions that ZERO is E-100 Alpha, a prototype of the E-Series, and points out that unlike other robots it doesn't have an animal inside. So it's definitely something that was intentional, and possibly related to it just being a prototype.

https://info.sonicretro.org/index.php?title=File:SonicAdventureNavigationGuide_Book_JP.pdf&page=115

What is your source for this?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    It does seem to have a rudimentary AI: even when the Chaos Emerald had been retrieved, so no reason to pursue the Flicky, and the Egg Carrier had crashed, E-100 Alpha still pursued the Flicky.

Contrast E-101 Beta, who actively moved against Robotnik in order to be permitted aboard the Egg Carrier early in E-102 Gamma's story, and the other E-100 models in the story, who argue amongst themselves about the frogs they've retrieved and which one has the correct one, it does seem like E-100 Alpha is very basic in it's function, while being the only one lacking an animal in Sonic Adventure...

I wonder if it's the first attempt at AI without needing an animal or large central AI relay (assuming the Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles bosses are using the Death Egg central system for their AI), ultimately leading to E-123 Omega, but that's speculation on my part.

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

What is Metal Sonic's and Mecha Sonic's power source?

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Metal Sonic, if you remember I consider to be constructed of future tech. His main engine is a psuedoscience energy fusion engine that burns the universe's life force, after all:
    So his AI is simply because Robotnik has his hands on something that advanced. He's just working to get back to that point with modern tech.

Assuming Mecha Sonic isn't using the same CPU as Metal Sonic, then it'd most likely be using the Death Egg's central AI in the instances you fight them, since Mecha Sonic seems to have the same eye that associated with the Death Egg in its head:
    [​IMG]

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I meant S2's Mecha Sonic.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Same thing, since it's on the Death Egg: the Death Egg's central AI is being employed.

19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Do you have a source for the Death Egg AI thing or did you mean to post this in the headcanon thread? It’s a neat idea but I think the red eye mini boss is just another robot rather than a central computer. Looks like it could be the core but destroying it doesn’t seem to do anything to the death egg itself.
    And I think Mecha Sonic 2.0’s similar eye is just a design choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sorry, was getting the questions here so answering them. I would say there's an AI, since something fires the Death Egg in Lava Reef Zone while Robotnik's right there to fight Sonic, but I digress.

I mean, destroying it results in the whole Death Egg going up and the shell hull looks like it gets blasted off, barring the brief end of level pause that I'm fairly certain is non-canon since, y'know, I don't think there's signposts falling out the sky when Sonic beats a boss:

2:38

So whatever that was, it was something of importance to the Death Egg.

Regardless, if there's any further questions on the AI topic, probably best asked in the Headcanon thread.