don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    If that does end up happening, I hope they’ll keep that momentum going and produce similar games in the future.
    No hate to the meta era fans of course, but I feel like this is the first time they’re doing something cathetered for me in 13 years.
    I haven’t been this happy being a sonic fan in so long :)

(and I hope they’ll release games a bit quicker too, having to wait half a decade for new entries in series I love stopped being cute a while ago)

2. Nope, being 100% genuine wanting a conversation starter. Because I'm seeing a lot mixed feelings about this game and I'm curious on where some stand.

Appreciate the honesty tho.

I...will have very mixed feelings lmao. I'd be happy the series finally got a real mainstream hit, but not in the way I kind of wanted?

3. I was done with the topic, but I'm now annoyed. Frankly, I don't understand the idea that just because Sonic Team of all developers messed it up on their very first attempt at it when that stuff was still being figured out, that automatically means it can't and shouldn't be done.

If you aren't one of these fans I'm about to describe, then my apologies. But this fandom is always going on about throwing out good ideas and not trying to improve/successfully implement them. Well this is something that's a bit less subjective and would have a significant impact on the game's quality and level of engagement than "Oh Sonic is holding a sword now" or "We added a wall-running mechanic to kind of/sort of make up for the fact you can no longer use the physics to do this naturally without a thought."

Also, I don't follow platinum games, but I did a quick google search on this issue. And from what I can see...

Well...

If you think messing up one game is comparable to decades of screwups, I don't know what to say to that. And I'm pretty sure their record is significantly more solid than Sonic Team's.

EDIT: Ignore the above small print. That was wrong on my part.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  4. MH MD

MH MD

I would even say that platinum’s reputation have been….shaky …to say the least , from like 7 years ago, with stinkers like star fox and TMNT, even nier automata was positively received for its story mainly, cause the gameplay wasn’t close to their best efforts, to speak nothing of cancelled projects like scalebound and Granblue fantasy……

but I digress !

Woah….for me this is the coolest detail i have seen from this game yet! Wonder what other secrets and “cheats” you can unlock if you draw specific things, if there are any

5. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I’d be happy. I’m excited with the direction Frontiers is going and I’d love more like it. It feels like the Sonic that I fell in love with is back, and I hope that stays.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Hmmm I wonder what happens if you’re able to draw the Sonic head silhouette that’s part of the Sonic Team logo. Perhaps that’s what the logo ident is urging you to do?

7. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    It summons Yuji Naka from the heavens

8. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Yuji Naka will roll in his grave

What do you mean he's not dead

9. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Yuji Naka was 'Ghost Girl' all along :V

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. charcoal

charcoal

F7BD3595-57E0-489F-B762-2C29B774C7CD.jpeg
    Switch (Left) vs. Everything else (Right)
    Could be worse, the switch could definitely run the right if it were optimized better but this really isn’t that bad. Couldve been a cloud version, which would’ve been infinitely worse.

EDIT: While the lighting on the right is clearly higher fidelity, please note the different time of day before a harsh judgement. The time of day on the right produces a much more flattering appearance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Well, I guess Switch is my only option, really. It looks muddy and I wish it were better optimised (especially given we have stuff like DOOM Eternal running natively on the console), but as long as the gameplay is intact (which I’m sure it will be), then I’ll live.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It’s the 1st major series evolution since Unleashed. It’s pretty exciting, and wow seeing that demo crowd is something

I’m getting this for the PC for sure, if only because it’s the most powerful of the gaming devices I have right now, but also maybe mods.

quick modders port classic and fem sonic over quick lol

13. synchronizer

synchronizer

Think the PS5 will run this at full framerate?

14. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Of course it will lol. If the Series X can then the PS5 certainly can.

15. charcoal

charcoal

Of course it will. I'd like to think we're well past the days of the PS3 running Unleashed at 15 fps.

16. upload_2022-9-15_21-41-24.png

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    If I were Sakurai, I'd be confused asf by how normal this tweet is.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I mean, the Series X is more powerful than the PS5... :V

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'd be happy, both because I love rich open world games and because it'd be great to see the series finally evolve and get back on track. Even if I feel the implementation wasn't the best... Needless automation, Forces-esque cyberspace levels, too BotW-esque (I love BotW, but Sonic doesn't need to be this derivative).

Yeah, I definitely don't think that 3d Sonic games need the level of automation they tend to get, even if Sega (and some players) feel so. Challenging the player and rewarding them for mastering the mechanics and controls isn't bad/outdated design or a "niche" concept. In fact, most action games are like that. 3d Mario games have more complex controls than 3d Sonic and take a while to master, and they're not seen as bad or niche games. Many games have also been commercial and critical successes despite being considered hard, Dark Souls being probably the most famous "modern" example. Even Mario had "hard" 3d games, like Mario Sunshine or Mario Galaxy 2.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022