don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Just because they're not loudly broadcasting it doesn't mean they're not involved.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    NDAs are indeed a thing. In fact, I think they'd be more likely to talk about it if they *weren't* involved.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    It took a year for us to learn they were working on the game at all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Kyro

Kyro

While true, now that we even know for sure they helped at all, and given his outspoken nature on the state of the game on release, i think we would have heard at least something if headcanon wasnt at least *somewhat* involved, assuming of course they didnt get in trouble for those tweets in the first place.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Well, said Tweets are still up so make of that what you will.

6. RDNexus

RDNexus

I'm not sure if anyone's interested, but I'll risk leaving this here:

7. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Already watched the review when it premiered.. Blaze brought up some very fair points and Origins is not a disaster by any means.. I just want SEGA to continue to patch it and iron out everything for the physical release

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Same, I think post-patch, Origins is a pretty solid compilation, it's just knowing that they could make it even better, and I'm not even talking about frivolous things like new characters or the Sonic 3 soundtrack. Even just fixing some minor bugs and impracticalities would make a world of difference.

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Origins is now a solid, though still flawed way for most gamers to play the classics. Though its current mod scene leaves much to be desired compared to the decomp scenes. At least the Sonic 3 Stealth port is now more comparable to AIR after the patches, though the latter could easily incorporate some of the benefits of the former.

They really should just remove Denuvo on PC and give at least one more big bug patch, but I'm now no longer sure they will, and that saddens me.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

If they do another update I suspect it won’t be until next year. I doubt sega wants Origins to get publicity during the build up to Frontiers’ release. I’m greatly disappointed with how Sega treated Headcanon and handled Origins. I really want another update, and confirmation that the headcanon/sega relationship is intact (I’m still desperate for a mania 2), but I’ve accepted that these things are out of my control. Regardless I wish Headcanon well with their future endeavors. Folks, here’s another reminder to buy pier pressure if you haven’t already.

11. I also belive we're both getting Sonic Origins and Sonic Colors: Ultimate news probably in next year due to Sonic Frontiers release and stuff.

12. Turbohog

Turbohog

I think another update is extremely unlikely. Sega stands to gain little financially from doing so this far out from the release.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. Snowbound

Snowbound

Unfortunately, I’m inclined to agree with you. I suspect that if we are getting an update that it would be through an “Origins Plus” physical release… which could be cool if Headcanon’s involved and we get more archival material.

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I refuse to believe that Origins support is done and dusted.. the recent updates on SteamDB and the DLC survey that was sent out to fans back in the summer has me thinking that something is going on behind the scenes with this.

I expect something to be revealed after Frontiers releases, whether it’s another patch or an actual physical version with more content that was mentioned in the survey.

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I just hope the rolling jump lock gets removed from 1 and 2. That’s my one biggest issue with the vanilla game yet it’s also the easiest to fix.

16. Sonic CD in Origins without 2011's menu feels so incomplete, man.

17. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Apparently the SteamDB non-public build hasn't been updated in three weeks. Not sure whether that means it's on hold with Frontiers' imminent release (though its entire development alongside Origins' wasn't an issue) or they're just finalising a next patch across all systems. Surely they wouldn't update the Steam release that much for naught, right? RIGHT?

Side note, I'm still curious as to what the non-functioning S3&K codes were, and if that's something saved for a next update. I think one of them must've been the unused "& Knuckles" mode cheat, but I'm not sure which. I still wonder about that, it seems weird to remove that from THE "& Knuckles" game. Does enabling it by hacking showcase anything peculiar? Does the unused Knuckles Tornado sprite appear in the game intro, does Knuckles open up his routes for Sonic/Tails and does it work with the MGZ Act 2 Sonic boss? And seeing as "& Tails" can basically be activated for Knuckles temporarily by debug'ing into that boss, was Knuckles & Tails also going to be part of this equation? But with that they'd be more inclined to fix Knuckles still using his own CNZ>ICZ transition when beating Sonic's Act 2 boss and a certain Egg Robo replacement sprite not appearing for him in Sonic's AIZ Act 2 path, though all the endings could still be unaltered like when Sonic/Knuckles beat each other's finales through level select. Really makes you wish the CNZ>FBZ>ICZ original Zone order was a cheat code, because they could've totally made new transitions for it.

The Sega Hotline reference code seems to imply some sort of assistance to the player, like what adding Jam's Normal/Easy layouts would do (I'd say it was for "& Knuckles", but I remember someone saying the cheat was removed from the game entirely). It could've even been some Barrel of Doom meme, like it only takes that out of the layout. No idea what another Chaos Emeralds/Super form-related code would do, other than maybe toggling the unused "New Blue Spheres" theme to play whilst Super/Hyper. And then there's the enigma of the 30th anniversary date code, which potentially implies it had some level of significance, or was at least the "& Knuckles" code by process of elimination. Maybe it could have enabled sprite swapping with S1/S2/Mania sprites? Or maybe it could've just enabled the original physics lol.
    EDIT: Added a source for the Hotline stuff.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  18. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I really hate the slapdash implementations of the games. Why isn't there some kind of clean, consistent presence of menus? Where's my accessible suite of options? Where's the cohesion and uniformity of things like physics and unlocked jumps?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  19. I hope a new patch will be released and the Sonic Mania screen filters are implemented. Now the game looks not as sharp because the None filter from Sonic Mania is missing.
    Sonic Origins uses a bilinear filter resulting in softened pixels which looks not as sharp as Sonic Mania with None filter.

On PC this issue has been fixed by the modding community, but on console we're stuck with the bilinear filter.

See the Digital Foundry video (beginning at 4:27) to see what I mean.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Because it’s “nostalgic”