don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction

Here y'are.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I don't think they are, unless Forces OST appeared there day one, since this is just the same thing they've been doing since...Mania I think? Maybe Lost World.

3. Not allowing that sounds like a disjointed mess, for how much Iizuka harps about all the playtesting they’ve done you’d think these options being chucked out for the window for a significant part of the game would be would be a common complaint but so far the cyberspace level design is 90% dash pads and rails so it would be make sense if they are ignored.

4. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    My god, I'm so excited for this game! You gotta trust me on this, but this is the best Sonic has ever controlled in the post-Adventure era.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I can imagine that the linear cyberspace levels had to be more tightly designed than the open world, so tweaking Sonic's behavior might break them.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Kyro

Kyro

Yeah i see a couple folks saying that its somehow bad that the cyberspace levels ignore the sliders, but thats the only thing that makes sense to me. It sounds completely unreasonable to me that the levels they create would have to accommodate ALL possible control modifications without breaking. Short of being automated entirely, and at that point you dont have levels.

7. Linkabel

Linkabel

I don't think people expected for Sonic Team to accommodate ALL possible modifications, but leave it up to the player how to tackle them.

For example, in racing games not every modification is going to work for each vehicle and track, some modifications are going to make you extremely slow or go out of bonds/send you flying, but you can play around with them until you find something that suits you.

It gives a lot of replayability and again gives you the option on how to play the game.

8. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    The Starfall Islands theme feels... Emotional. Those violins are heavy. I love it, though.

I Imagine that in actual gameplay the ambient piano will be playing the majority of the time, occasional silence, but the heavy violins will most likely kick in during battles or when going extremely fast.

9. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Wasn't that sort of obvious given how different they play?

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Starfall Islands theme slaps my nuts pretty hard

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Or, in more pessimistic terms: tweaking Sonic's behavior will break the multitude of scripted events.

12. xbloodywhalex

xbloodywhalex

team dark enthusaist Member
    antarctica
    re-reading one piece, probably
    I might be misunderstanding your point, but... does Sonic's behavior really need to be customized in the cyberspace levels? It seems to me that it shouldn't really matter either way, given that they're relatively linear & fast-paced. I guess I'm saying I don't really understand what the customizations would add to the experience.

13. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    If it were me, I'd be thrown way off by the difference in controls. But we'll just have to see how it pans out.

14. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I'd imagine that having a fully customized Sonic could just flat out break some level design in some stages, making it too easy or too hard. It's probably easier on the developer to only allow customizations in the open world, where you're just running around freely and playing around. It seems reasonable to me.

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

So the levels are still ridiculously short like in Forces. I was afraid of that. :(

16. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I honestly think they aren't allowing the control sliders in Cyberspace because it would invalidate a lot of the incentive to grind speed upgrades in order to beat certain time trials. Allowing players to tweak certain stats could immediately make challenging time trials incredibly easy and make the Cyberspace loop super unbalanced. Moreover, if they tweak the max speed slider setting with the time trials in mind, any slower setting could result in players feeling frustrated that some time trials are borderline impossible or take way too long to beat. At best it would be difficult to fine-tune, and at worst it would make the sliders less of a player preference and more of a "you don't have to use these settings, but you really should unless you wanna have a hard time". I don't know if that's why they did it, that's just my guess. It seems really hard to balance a time trial mini-game around a character with fully customizable stats.

Edit: On second thought, how would that explain the time trials in the open zone? Nevermind, I guess. Unless maybe they're piss easy time trials compared to Cyberspace, so they didn't really care much about balancing them.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  17. GRINDING IN A SONIC GAME. YAAAAAAAAAAY!

18. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Can you please explain, in words, why the cyberspace levels would have the same control customization as the open world when they fundamentally play differently instead of ignoring people who have asked why you think they would?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  19. The bigger question is why do they have to play fundamentally different, why not have them as stages using the same controls as the open world for something more akin to Sonic Adventure’s approach to level design instead of reusing Force’s diluted copy of the boost gameplay and script heavy level design?

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List