don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. I like Boost gameplay so I'm not too bothered.

Reusing levels sucks, but yea

2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I personally never understood how anyone could call Colors' tone and self-referential humor a return to the series' roots. The classic games might have had a fun tone and a whimsical art style, but were never outright comedies. The backstories in the manuals had the kind of tone and worldbuilding that wouldn't be out of place in a contemporary RPG. The plots were played straight. Things like Eggman capturing animals to use as organic batteries, taking over Little Planet and creating a dystopian future, or attempting to put his Death Egg back in orbit, weren't played for laughs. Masato Nakamura even stated that his compositions aimed to give the games a cinematic and emotional feel. The only instance I can think of the classic games playing a story element for comedy was Fang.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the classic games were some super serious drama. I see them more as adventures, evoking a variety of emotions. Sometimes they were serious, other times they were more whimsical or lighthearted, but always kept a good balance and a sense of adventure. Some of the later games leaned too far in one direction. Sonic 06 was too serious, though at least it still felt like an adventure. Meanwhile Colors went too far in the comedy department, at the expense of the sense of adventure IMO.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. Notably not the place for this, so I'll be brief and address my excitement for Frontiers as well, but while I agree that an RPG or even ARPG would struggle to feel Sonic-y or anything like a fast-paced pinball-esque platformer, I strongly believe that an SRPG could work.

As for the ending theme being discussed at great length, I just don't vibe with it. Someone posted a day or so ago about the benefits of Sonic games not strictly adhering to one or even a couple of genres/styles, and despite my bias for the club-inspired themes of the classics I have to agree. SA2 and beyond fully embraced rock, which appealed to plenty of players both old and new. Some folks may not given SA2, or the more musically diverse SA, a chance had it not been for that shift in musical style. There a folks here that crave orchestral, cinematic themes... which I also don't care for but wouldn't seek to deprive folks of. Hideki Naganuma's sample heavy hip-hop OST for Rush appealed to me greatly, but probably served as a turn off for others. I'm all in favour of the OSTs being more diverse, and think both Forces and now Frontiers warrant praise for making it happen.

To tackle Frontiers more directly, I am so excited. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but it looks fun. What I've gleamed of the story thus far, while actively trying to pay no mind to spoilers, has it appearing quite heavy. It looks as if this game may actually have stakes again, like SA, and I dig how each island seemingly has their own theme beyond aesthetics along with focus on specific characters.

[Edit] Oh yeah, I also don't understand the fuss about recycled assets. Sonic Team already made them... so why make everything again each time. 1:1 ports of full stages would only ever be ideal if x stage was already perfect, but using them as a starting point is fine by me.

4. _Sidle

_Sidle

Hohoho, never thought I'd see Generations, a seventh gen game (aka the generation of retro revivals), being called retro.
    Fifth gen? Yeah duh that's retro. Sixth gen? On incredibly thin ice, but at least understandable. Seventh? Pure madness. Trying to merge for example "retro indie game" and "PS3/360 style" feels like mixing oil and water. It's like the perfect cutoff of technological power and features.

Gonna mess with people in like ten years via entering a conversation with "Ah, so it's like one of those retro gacha games" or "one of those retro battle royale games" :ssh:

Anyway, Frontiers OP and ED revealed, huh? Throw another tally towards the "Vandalize >>> I'm Here" gang.

5. synchronizer

synchronizer

"I'm Here's" full-stop then key change seems really unnatural to me. It doesn't quite flow. Compare with "His World's" transition into the chorus.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    upload_2022-9-10_10-15-26.png
    So are we gonna talk about this hot new Uekawa art, or…?

Personally, I love it. Emulates the dynamic posing of the Adventure era without turning Sonic’s limbs into spaghetti, staying closer to the model without feeling as stiff as some of Uekawa’s more recent works do at times.

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I don't really want to judge I'm Here too hard yet since we have the full version of Vandalize already, and historically it feels like game companies cut promos for songs really weirdly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Here a bit of non-vocal songs.

Not sure what to say / judge, it's too short, but I liked it. Hope SEGA will eventually upload one of boss themes.

9. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I'd really like to hear the battle music, I hope Ohtani learned his lesson from the Werehog theme and actually made more than one battle theme this time lol

10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Apparently every Guardian has a unique combat track. Hopefully that should alleviate the Unleashed syndrome.

That music sounds like Minecraft music lol. It's nice how they're attempting multiple angles of music though, with the hardcore main theme, slower pop-punk style ending theme, atmospheric tracks for the open world, and even the j-poppy vocal tracks along the lines of Forces. It seems like there will be something for everyone in this soundtrack.

11. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Hopefully the "random" encounters will make use of stems to accommodate both for the frequency of encounters and the fact that you can choose run through if you're feeling so inclined. It'd be best for music changes to be seamless in such a scenario, imo.

12. It was composed by Kenichi Tokoi actually.

I agree. I also think it would be nice to have Hideaki Kobayashi again to have some intense boss / guardian battle theme in this game, it would fit with tone.

Speaking which, do you guys have any guess which composer will be in this game besides Tomoya Ohtani and (probably) Jun Senoue? My bet we're having Kenichi Tokoi, Naofumi Hataya, Yutaka Minobe and Tahakito Eguchi (he usually composes the score cutscenes and some boss themes). They were all in Sonic Forces soundtrack, for example. I magine Ohtani will focus on the action / cyberspace themes and probably final boss or something.

13. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Anyone else planning on getting this on PS4? Hoping that performance doesn’t take too much of a hit on PS4 Pro compared to PC & latest gen consoles.

14. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    The game doesn’t look any more intensive than any other modern Sonic game released in the past 15 years, fidelity wise. I seriously doubt the performance will be any worse on PS4/XOne than PS5/SeriesX. I expect the next gen consoles to get maybe a higher draw distance and resolution at best.

15. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Here are the album credits for Luxury Disease.

As you can see, no SEGA composers or staff members are among those credited. However, it notes Vandalize as being for Sonic Frontiers, similar to other songs on the album for commercials and the Rurouni Kenshin films. If Wikipedia is anything to go by, the songs for Kenshin WERE specifically made for those. So it's still unclear as to whether it was specifically made for Frontiers, or if someone at SEGA heard it somehow and decided to license it.

Could also be a Sweet Sweet Sweet scenario where they already had a demo working of the song, then decided to spruce it up for the game.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  16. MH MD

MH MD

Me, on base PS4 nonetheless , hope the performance is good, cause for example my experience with Elden Ring was miserable, sometimes even outright freezing for long time

17. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Well, the Steam requirements are a significant step up from Forces, despite them both running on the same engine. Forces' minimum requirements call for a GTX750, whereas Frontiers demands a GTX1060, frustratingly one step up from my laptop's GTX1050. Frontiers also demands 8GB of RAM compared to Forces' 4GB.
    • Processor: Intel i5 5th gen @ 2.7Ghz or AMD A10 7th gen @ 3.0Ghz
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti or AMD R7 265
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 18 GB available space
    • Sound Card: Sound: 11 compatible
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Core i7-3770
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060(6GB)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 28 GB available space

• List
  18. MH MD

MH MD

I will just take their official word at this point :

• List
  19. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Oh, I didn't know this was a thing. Where was this posted?

20. MH MD

MH MD

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/sonic-frontiers-ending-theme-song-announced-vandalize-by-one-ok-rock

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List