don't click here

Sonic Tier Lists Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Sep 10, 2022.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I thought this would be a fun topic. Make your own here.
    upload_2022-9-9_18-7-43.png
    This is mine, not really "objective" or anything just ranked by how much I enjoy playing them. Any games not on the tier list I just haven't played yet. (and ok i admit i only put 06 in F tier out of obligation, its a guilty pleasure of mine lol)
    I also rated the games from best to worst within the tiers themselves from left to right and I recommend you do that too, just for cleanliness.

EDIT: Here's a more comprehensive tier list maker, sorry I didn't realize the initial one didn't include a couple games.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    You're wrong about Sonic CD, and therefore you are no longer allowed to hold opinions.

Most of them I more or less agree with.

Edit: I get it's ranked by enjoyment. You didn't enjoy Sonic CD correctly in that case.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    SonicTier2021-2.png

Here's my most recent one! It's been almost a year since I updated it though. I played some of these games again recently, and I think SA2 has fallen under Triple Trouble now, while Shadow should go up a few ranks, over Heroes and below Shuffle. I think Shadow is a *worse* game than Heroes overall, but I still have more fun playing it on the neutral path, and how much I enjoy a game is the only thing I try to rank on these..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Here's my current one. It may change at my next pass.
    [​IMG]

5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    This is dangerously close to being a forum game. :V

Oh well, here's mine for vocal themes.
    [​IMG]

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Yeah, this is probably gonna get locked unless it leads to some discussion.

I like how you have an "Unleashed tier." It's a funny one! I'm sort of judging most of these games on the best-case scenario: I'm playing them on a finished save file, meaning I can pick and choose which parts I want to engage with... in other words, I can just play the parts I like. And while I think the Werehog is pretty good for what it is, Unleashed's whole campaign structure means that if I were judging it more holistically, it'd probably tumble down to Average at best. xD

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Oh, my opinion of Unleashed improved dramatically once I'd actually finished it and just replayed the daytime stages. Before I actually finished it, I actively disliked it. Hell, my opinion has shifted so much it might go up a tier when I decide to revise my list again.

8. charcoal

charcoal

Me personally I love it for all of it's werehogy-ness. The platforming and combat is just oh-so satisfying to me, and things like executing multiple combos and murdering an entire group of enemies in seconds is just orgasmic. I'd honestly take the best werehog stages over the best daytime stages most of the time, although I do love both halves equally for the most part.

9. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I had a realization about the Werehog a while back: It was to a lot of kids what Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie on Sega Genesis was to me.

MMPR was a blatant clone of Streets of Rage 2, but without half as much finesse. It lacked the variety and depth of SoR, not to mention the challenge... it was so easy, I finished it the day I got it! But I was 7. Even if I'd known what Streets of Rage was, it would've probably been too much for me. Because MMPR was so approachable (and because it had co-op and my friends always wanted to play it with me), it was an absolute staple of my childhood, and I still hold a lot of affection for it to this day. It felt bizarre to me at first when I got online and saw older Sega fans dumping on it, because I couldn't relate to their criticisms. My perspective was completely different.

The Werehog's kind of the same thing. Yes, it's a less-polished, easier, kiddie version of God of War, but so what? Kids don't know or care what God of War is, and they aren't gonna make the comparison.

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I like this franchise.
    upload_2022-9-9_23-34-21.png

11. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I wish this tier list maker included more Sonic games. Like why is Sonic R included, but not Sonic 3D Blast for example? Why are the only Game Gear games included being the Sonic Drift games? Why is Team Sonic Racing not an option if this list includes most Sonic racing titles? For the games available in the list, this is what I came up.

2022-09-09-SonicTierListV2-PNG.png

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favorite game and Sonic Mania is my second favorite Sonic game, so them being under AMAZING tier is well deserved.

Sonic Advance 2 is my favorite game to speedrun, so I hold that game in high regard. It's a flawed game, but I love it. It's also my favorite handheld game.

The Retro engine version of Sonic CD is why it's so high up on this list. I feel like that game benefited from the Retro engine more than any other remaster of the old Sonic games.

The original Sonic the Hedgehog is probably my second most played Sonic game. I just love that game, especially the SEGA AGES version on Nintendo Switch.

Sonic Advance inspired me a lot when I was younger. Like that game's art direction is one of the reasons why I made sprite comics when I was 13 years old in 2003. It's also one of my favorite handheld games.

Sonic Generations is my officially released favorite 3D Sonic game. I think Sonic Team did an excellent job making it and it's unfortunate we never got a real sequel. Sonic Forces doesn't count.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is an awesome game, but I have more issues with its level design than some of the other Classic Sonic games. I know that's a hot take in the fandom, but I prefer the more platformer focused level design of Sonic 1 and the bigger emphasis on exploration in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is easily my second favorite officially released 3D Sonic game. Some aspects to its gameplay have not aged the best, but it's still one of the most ambitious Sonic games ever made. It has a memorable soundtrack, the Chao Garden is amazing, and the 3D Sonic/Shadow levels offer some of the best gameplay from the Sonic series. I hope Takashi Iizuka is eventually given the opportunity to create Sonic Adventure 3. I think it would be funny if they made Sonic Adventure 3 look like a Dreamcast game.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is the best mascot racer I have ever played. I have a lot of wonderful memories playing this game with friends.

The original Sonic Colors was a special game that I hold in high regard. It's really unfortunate the remaster was such a rushed port with audio issues and other annoying glitches.

Sonic Advance 3 is easily my least favorite game in the Advance trilogy, but it's still a great game and I love watching speedruns of that game.

Sonic Adventure really has not aged the best, but I still enjoy it for what it is and I think it was a good attempt at introducing Sonic into 3D.

Shadow the Hedgehog is a guilty pleasure game for me. I thought I would dislike it, but when I rented the game, I enjoyed it way more than I probably should have. So I bought the game shortly afterwards and played it a lot. I used to make forum sigs in 2005 using art from that game. It also has one of the coolest CGI openings in the series, which was made by the person who directed the official Sonic movies.

V36Fantastic#10.png

V40Fantastic#7.png

I like the Traveler's Tales Sonic games, which is why Sonic R got placed where it's at. If Sonic 3D Blast was an option, my placement in the tier list would have been controversial because I love Sonic 3D Blast.

Sonic Battle is a fun game, but I have never had the opportunity to try out its multiplayer.

Sonic Rush is a game I have mixed feelings about. I think some aspects to it are a lot of fun, but it has way too many bottomless pits and its physics are weird. The level design and boss fights for Sonic Rush Adventure was an improvement, but strangely, that game is not an option with this tier list.

Sonic Unleashed could have been a great game, but I don't like the werehog stages or its hub world.

Sonic & the Secret Rings is a fun game, but if I were to revisit it, I don't think I would enjoy it anywhere near as much now as I did in 2007 when the gimmick of motion controls was exciting to me.

I don't like Sonic Heroes, but I respect the amount of effort that went into making that game. Takashi Iizuka lost 20 pounds creating it and he made a lot of the level design by himself. That dude does not get enough respect in the Sonic fandom for everything he has done for the series.

Sonic Drift 2 is a game I have hardly played, but it has Nack the Weasel as a playable character and some of the sprites look neat, so w/e.

Sonic Lost World for Wii U and PC is an extremely disappointing game, which is why Sonic Lost World is listed so low. I enjoyed the 3DS version way more. Fun Fact: I won a copy of the 3DS version in a contest from this website back in December 14th, 2013. [LINK]

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is not a good game, but I had fun playing it despite it being an underwhelming sequel to my favorite game. I might have put it higher on the list if it was not called Sonic the Hedgehog 4. I feel like the lack originality with its level design and art direction, along with its bad physics are what held it back the most as a game.

I rented Sonic Riders for GameCube a long time ago. My initial impression was very positive, then I got bored of it quickly.

I could never beat the first stage of Sonic Pinball Party because I am garbage at pinball. >__________> I only own this game because it's a Sonic game for the Gameboy Advance made by Dimps. Easily my least played handheld Sonic game.

I don't care about Sonic Spinball outside of its soundtrack and art direction. The 30FPS framerate really holds it back.

I don't remember enough about the original Sonic Drift to have a strong opinion of it, but I don't remember disliking it when I played it on Sonic Adventure DX, so that's why it's in the bottom of the Okay category.

Sonic Forces is one of the worst Sonic games I have ever played. The fact it came out around the same time as Sonic Mania is absolutely baffling to me considering their stark quality difference.

Sonic '06 is the worst 3D Sonic game I have played. Nothing I can say about that game has not been said by other people. It deserves its rotten reputation, but it had the potential to be something special.

Every other game on the tier list is a game I have never played.

12. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Holy shit, were you on SonicAnime? This looks so familiar to me.

13. charcoal

charcoal

This feels like a really strange, dismissive take. Your point feels like it boils down to "The only reason people ever liked it was because they were stupid kids who didn't know any better." That applies to some games, yes, I only like 06 because I enjoyed it as a stupid little kid, but I like Unleashed because it's a damn good game, and many echo that sentiment. I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and say you probably didn't mean to come off as such an asshole, but your whole point just feels mean spirited.

14. I have this ordered relatively sequentially, and both 3D Blast and Chaotix would be somewhere between A & B. Anything omitted are games I've either ignored or couldn't grant even a D rank to.

my-image.png

15. E107- Theta

E107- Theta

Texas
    IM SORRY BUT YOU HATE YOURE MY HERO???!!!
    you gonna be catching these hands boi mad_sonic!.jpg

16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    This has been stable for 3.5 years. Finally gonna have another game to add to this narrow list.

Attached Files:

17. E107- Theta

E107- Theta

Texas
    ohh and uhhh heres my tierlist sorry if it stinks my-image (1) (2).png

18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Nope, I have never heard of that website. I primarily used sigs on Ratchet & Clank related forums in 2005. I think the only Sonic forums I was part of in 2005-2006 were Sonic Stadium, Sonic Fangames HQ, and the Sonic Robo Blast 2 forum.

V23Fantastic#8.png

I loved messing around with Photoshop brushes from DeviantArt in 2005. It's really too bad Sonic '06 was such a bad game because I had so much excitement for it back in 2005.

19. Felik

Felik

tier.png
    Here's my list. Only included games I played and games that were present here. Where's Chaotix and 3D Blast?

CD is not a great game. Everything about it is superb except for gameplay which kinda is the most important part

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    That seems like a bad faith read of what was an effort to find common ground. Of course I wasn't trying to be insulting or dismissive. I personally like the Werehog stages, but I'm trying to relate to how I might've seen them if I'd played them when I was a kid. I'd appreciate if you didn't call me names over it.