don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Vertette

Vertette

Ah right, that makes more sense. Very surreal all the same.

2. This is the same stuff they do with Yakuza games. They often get the rights to use a Japanese band’s upcoming song as the opening theme, essentially promoting the game to the band’s fans and band to the game’s fans.

Anyway, the song is awesome. Can’t wait to see it ruined by being in countless SonAmy fan art YouTube vids (using the uncensored version for extra edginess) :ruby:

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  3. Flare

Flare

The first few lines made me think of Moves Like Jagger haha 'Sound the alarm' / 'Just shoot for the stars' :V

The song sounds nice, I can imagine it being from Sage's point of view. Something about her makes me think she is trying to keep the islands together, or create a world for herself and Sonic is trying to destroy it so him and his friends can escape.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I take a break for a day and I come back to 5 pages of discussion about an edgy emo rock theme. What year is this again?

Jokes aside, I love love LOVE this theme. Really wish I had an hyperbolic time chamber to skip straight to release, because I think about playing this game pretty much 24/7 at this point :V

5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    It's not a debut thing either, since the album featuring it releases in two days. I'm really not sure what's going on. If it were truly made for the game, I feel like the marketing for it would have more fanfare than "Oh yeah here's the ending theme, bye".

It's still entirely possible that it WAS made for the game and SEGA either helped compose or has at least some kind of rights to it. Confirmation would come from the album's liner notes when it comes out.

6. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Sonic Frontiers will end with the heroes being so traumatized by the experience that they'll cope by having a foursome :V

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I mean. Isn't that kind of how they revealed fist bump? It was at SXSW and they said something like "Anyway here's 45 seconds of the game theme"

????

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

So I'm not the only one who got that impression! The key difference to me though is that Vandalise is fresh and exciting, whilst I'm still sick of Moves on a account of the fact that I worked in a hotel bar in 2010/11 and it was played multiple times each night.

9. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    The uncensored version of Vandilize is basically about distressed sex or something, right? At least from what I've read here...

I dunno, what I posted sounded better on my head, I guess :V

10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    According to the Sonic Station Live, each island has multiple music tracks that play during different circumstances, and every Guardian (boss) has their own unique battle theme. That's a lot of music lol.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Some of you are starting to scare me

Also:
    It def a debut thing. One OK did not release the song until a joint statement was made from SEGA on social media, they filmed a video message made to be released on the same day as the debut, and the censored version of the song was immediately put out with Frontiers cover artwork. It's not like SEGA is sitting there watching the One OK YouTube and Spotify pages so they can tweet exactly as it drops, they have an agreement to post them simultaneously and for SEGA to put out their preview shortly before the song drops in streaming platforms, so their audience has the chance to hear a little bit of it before anyone else does.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    The song isn't exactly what I have in mind when I think of Sonic. But it is very good and to be honest I think it's good that they just were confident enough to go with this song despite it being a bit risky.

So yeah, good news.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. I talked to a relative of mine and showed them the song, wanting to get their thoughts on it. I said something along the lines of, "Pretty different from most other Sonic songs, huh?"

Her response? "Yeah, it actually has feeling,". I found that amusing, mostly because I agree with the assessment.

I used to be into Sonic's vocal themes, but I haven't been able to truly get into them in a long time. I don't even have them saved on any playlist I listen to anymore, because, well...

I just don't like them that much. I must say, I did not expect Frontiers to be the game that pulled me back into them. If only I could have confidence this was made for the game, rather than just a song they happen to be using for the game, as that might give me a little hope I might actually enjoy the game's story. (I mean, it would make sense for such a theme to go with an enjoyable Sonic "shonen" story, huh?)

Still meh on Frontier's gameplay from what we seen, but I at worst think it will be not great. I don't think it will be annoying or have crap that takes me out of the experience at least. So as long as some good tunes are playing in the background maybe I actually would enjoy the game, as it might not distract from such ost too much.

I don't know.

14. MH MD

MH MD

funny you mention that, cause the same band here "ONE OK ROCK" actually did a theme song for Yakuza Ishin -the second samurai spin-off that released in 2014 and didn't leave japan-, so the SEGA connection already existed

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. Linkabel

Linkabel

What One OK is doing with Sega is not different from what musicians do with anime.

Band writes song for anime opening, ending or as insert song>song is released either as part of the musician's album or as a single first (time usually varies depending on album release)>song appears later in the anime vocal or ost albums.

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm glad people are really enjoying the song, because I didn't like it that much. At least it is an improvement, since I hated Forces soundtrack.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The song's alright but it's yet more echoes of the 00s era, which further puts me off the game.

Like, I think SA2 is terrible but Live and Learn isn't a bad song. If that makes sense.

19. The story of Sonic's entire career is that the only redeeming aspect of the games is the OST, so its not weird.

Except SA2, that game still slaps hard, sorry bro.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I tried to listen to the song. I was digging the beginning, but I turned it off the instant the vocals kicked in.